• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tottenham’s John McDermott rejects Manchester United

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4668777.ece
Very good news. Although the job they were offering him was a bit of an insult really. It was to go and work underneath their head of youth development (i.e. move a rung down from where he is now). No doubt Man Utd thought a big pay cheque would do the trick, but good on McDermott for rejecting this. Loyalty should be met with loyalty so I hope that DL gives him the reward that he deserves for this.

Very good news. Although the job they were offering him was a bit of an insult really. It was to go and work underneath their head of youth development (i.e. move a rung down from where he is now). No doubt Man Utd thought a big pay cheque would do the trick, but good on McDermott for rejecting this. Loyalty should be met with loyalty so I hope that DL gives him the reward that he deserves for this.

You can't mean...no...turn the heating on in his office?

Thanks for posting this fella.

I visited Ranger's forums during his tenure and it did seem positive, not sure what happened and am surprised now to see some negative views. They're talking about his effort/heart and shooting; two attributes a forward player will need in Poch's 'philosophy'. That said, he is still very young, went quite far from home and waas brutalised without any protection from refs (then derided by the manager of one of his opponents). It is best he comes back and we need to assess him here in the comfort and warmth of Poch. Would be very interesting to get his viewpoint!

The mentality of the fans seems very old-school money. Whilst we do want our players to work their arses off, we want style too.

Glad he's back.

So to sum up the article, he wasn't all that because after being kicked to shreds with little or no protection from refs he started affecting games less and then slipped down the pecking order.

I'll admit that having watched him, his shooting ability does need work, but to question the work ethic etc is pointless given the circumstances. I'm not sure many players would have enjoyed themselves up there if they knew that come game day they would be spending more time avoiding a broken ankle then contributing to the result.

I guess flicking the ball over that full backs head on his debut didn't so him any favours with Scottish Championship defenders

Thanks for posting this fella.

I visited Ranger's forums during his tenure and it did seem positive, not sure what happened and am surprised now to see some negative views. They're talking about his effort/heart and shooting; two attributes a forward player will need in Poch's 'philosophy'. That said, he is still very young, went quite far from home and waas brutalised without any protection from refs (then derided by the manager of one of his opponents). It is best he comes back and we need to assess him here in the comfort and warmth of Poch. Would be very interesting to get his viewpoint!

The mentality of the fans seems very old-school money. Whilst we do want our players to work their arses off, we want style too.

Glad he's back.

I spoke with a young Spurs player (who left recently but had been sent on loan a good few times) and he was told when he came back that sometimes tough loans are picked deliberately for players to toughen them up or to make them realise how good they have it at Spurs. I guess a drop down into the championship or out to Scottish league will do that..

For Oduwa the facilities at Rangers would have been good but the football/pitches terrible.

The answer to a player that has a little bit of skill is to lump him into the stands, it really does say more about the state of Scottish football than Oduwa. Is it little wonder that they produce more players like Charlie Adam than they do Lionel messi.

There is still a backlash against rangers up here. It's almost certain they will be promoted and its not going down to well, the return of Charlie big time. What's making it worse is warburton has them playing good football, though I don't watch them so can't comment, and oduwa caught the flak for that from the opposition. They saw in him everything they hate about Rangers.

There have been some good points made about this loan, I think it might have been good for him. Players need to develop as people as well as footballers and this appeared to be a challenge for him. Prior to the modern system we use to send promising youngsters to Sweden to play in the summer, Miller, Hazard and Brooke all did it before making it into the first team.

I remember modrics coach in Croatia sending him to Bosnia on loan so he would get kicked to pieces as he knew he needed to learn how to deal with it

Harrison perhaps?

Tracey is a winger I thought, although physically he's said to be big so perhaps he can be converted.

I remember modrics coach in Croatia sending him to Bosnia on loan so he would get kicked to pieces as he knew he needed to learn how to deal with it

Getting kicked to pieces doesn't really happen in any vaguely decent league now though

Getting kicked to pieces doesn't really happen in any vaguely decent league now though
That isn't really the point.

Many were dubious that Modric could make the transition from LM to CM for us, but getting 'kicked to pieces' taught him how to use what little body he had to shield the ball and keep possession.

That time in Bosnia was often cited as underpinning his success in the PL - the most physical top-tier league in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back