• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Mason gave him a positive review of his time in France.

I doubt it.

You also went to France on loan. Was the move to Lorient a good one for you?

I was massively wary to move away, but at the time the manager [Andre Villas-Boas] thought it would be good for me to gain experience out there. Ligue 1 is a top league in Europe and while it didn't work out for me, it was interesting. The biggest thing I took from it was how much I just wanted to play and enjoy my football. There were times in France I didn’t want to get out of bed and go to training, and that's no good. I knew how much I wanted to be happy playing, and came home very focused on achieving that.

Yoof - having watched him a few times I worry about his defensive ability. He looks confident on the ball and is great going forward, but defensively it looks to me that he has a lot to learn. Even at under 21 level he seems to get exposed by players arriving at the back post. Have you seen him develop here?

I agree, there's two main areas where he needs work - defensively and physically. It's not a worry for me currently, I'm sure the former will be drilled into him and it's something he'll learn over time, he doesn't come across to me as an inherently thick player so I think it's just a case of coaching and experience to improve that. I think I know a couple of the back-post goals you're referring to, one against Chelsea in the youth cup last season and then more recently away to Norwich in the u21s, it's difficult to say I've seen him develop there as the u21s play so infrequently, that's why I'm so glad he's going off to (hopefully) play some proper football.

If I'm to compare him with Kyle Walker, I think already KWP is superior in both the possession and offensive phases of the game. In terms of receiving and moving the ball in tight areas he's comfortably ahead and dribbling with the ball he's well ahead, Walker only really has one move and that's to boot it past the defender and run after it whereas KWP has a lot more variation to his attacking game. He can improve on his deep crossing, similar to Walker in that regard but when he gets into a good position he'll find a teammate with a nice pass/cut-back more often than not. Defensively Walker has become a near elite 1v1 defender imo and it's only the odd howler that lets him down, KWP has a way to go to match him there but at 18 I wouldn't expect anything different. KWP may never become a great defender but if he can at least be competent then he'll be a big player for us in the future, if/when he does break through I expect some will call for him to play further forward but I always feel that if you can have that kind of attacking threat from full back without giving up too much defensively then you add another dimension to the team.

I doubt it.

You also went to France on loan. Was the move to Lorient a good one for you?

I was massively wary to move away, but at the time the manager [Andre Villas-Boas] thought it would be good for me to gain experience out there. Ligue 1 is a top league in Europe and while it didn't work out for me, it was interesting. The biggest thing I took from it was how much I just wanted to play and enjoy my football. There were times in France I didn’t want to get out of bed and go to training, and that's no good. I knew how much I wanted to be happy playing, and came home very focused on achieving that.

I get what your saying but maybe that hardship proved the making of him. They do this quite a lot to young cyclists in the British olympic training programme making them go through hardship.

Yoof - having watched him a few times I worry about his defensive ability. He looks confident on the ball and is great going forward, but defensively it looks to me that he has a lot to learn. Even at under 21 level he seems to get exposed by players arriving at the back post. Have you seen him develop here?

Worst case scenario Poch can move him to a more offensive position, he is only 18 so time is on his side

If he's still in that situation 3 years from now he would still be ahead of the curve compared to Rose and Walker... ;)

Sounds good for him to get tested in a fairly good league like the Eresdivisie. Some good technical players to get tested against, possibility for some good attacking play to join up with perhaps?

If he's still in that situation 3 years from now he would still be ahead of the curve compared to Rose and Walker... ;)

Sounds good for him to get tested in a fairly good league like the Eresdivisie. Some good technical players to get tested against, possibility for some good attacking play to join up with perhaps?
He really wouldn't be.... Both are a long way ahead of KWP in terms of their defensive skills. I would put KWP's current defensive ability at a lower than Rose's when he first came into the team at Spurs (and Rose has developed considerably since then). Walker is even further ahead IMO. What KWP does have is extremely good ability when attacking. I think he will either need to considerably develop his defensive game or move to a more advanced position (which might be difficult in our 4-2-3-1 formation) time is obviously on his side, but IMO he isn't close to being ready for first team PL football at the moment.

He really wouldn't be.... Both are a long way ahead of KWP in terms of their defensive skills. I would put KWP's current defensive ability at a lower than Rose's when he first came into the team at Spurs (and Rose has developed considerably since then). Walker is even further ahead IMO. What KWP does have is extremely good ability when attacking. I think he will either need to considerably develop his defensive game or move to a more advanced position (which might be difficult in our 4-2-3-1 formation) time is obviously on his side, but IMO he isn't close to being ready for first team PL football at the moment.

Were Rose and Walker close to being ready for first team PL football at 18? I was talking about ahead of the curve in terms of age compared to when those were the same age of course, not compared to right now.

Were Rose and Walker close to being ready for first team PL football at 18? I was talking about ahead of the curve in terms of age compared to when those were the same age of course, not compared to right now.
I think Rose was still a winger at 18.... Walker was 19 when playing Championship football for Sheffield United. I don't think KWP is anywhere near ready to defend at that level yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think KWP has huge potential, but I am concerned that the defensive side of his game is weak, so unless that develops over the next 2 or 3 years then I fear he will struggle to break through at Spurs.

I think Rose was still a winger at 18.... Walker was 19 when playing Championship football for Sheffield United. I don't think KWP is anywhere near ready to defend at that level yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think KWP has huge potential, but I am concerned that the defensive side of his game is weak, so unless that develops over the next 2 or 3 years then I fear he will struggle to break through at Spurs.

Yeah, Rose was a winger and was far from ready for PL football as a full back at that stage. It's not like Walker had been playing Championship football for long at that point either. And his inexperience and problems defensively were clear to see for years after that. He had to develop the defensive side of his game a lot from 19 to where he is now as one would expect. A good loan for KWP to Holland now and I wouldn't be shocked to see him play Championship level football before he turns 20 just like Walker before him.

All I'm saying is that the full back position for a modern attacking full back is a complex one. If KWP at 18 didn't have problems with the defensive side of his game he would be in a rather exclusive club. Others before him that have gone on to be very good full backs have had those problems at a much later stage even.

Our full back positions are sorted for a few years, let KWP learn his trade in Dutch Belgium, then come back a proper defender, everybody wins

Our full back positions are sorted for a few years, let KWP learn his trade in Dutch Belgium, then come back a proper defender, everybody wins
Maybe it's some sort of cunning scheme to make our back 4 as Belgian/Dutch as possible? Djanny Roos, anyone...?

Former academy player Kevin Stewart has been recalled from his loan at Swindon to play on the right wing for Liverpool tonight. Wasn't he a defender?

Former academy player Kevin Stewart has been recalled from his loan at Swindon to play on the right wing for Liverpool tonight. Wasn't he a defender?

Watched the game. He played as a DM - was neat and tidy but nothing exceptional

I've never thought KWP would play as a fullback at a high level, he has always looked a wide midlield player to me, and Glover looks a good shot stopper but for such a tall lad looks all at see at crosses and corners.

I've never thought KWP would play as a fullback at a high level, he has always looked a wide midlield player to me, and Glover looks a good shot stopper but for such a tall lad looks all at see at crosses and corners.

I think that you have just defined a modern full back and goalkeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back