• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the game today....was very enjoyable

No stand out players really, but here's a quick recap:

We played a 4-2-3-1 kinda.....

Glover - has literally nothing to do besides one corner which he claimed the ball very well for - very quick off his line

Walker-Peters - I'm a fan of his, but he made a couple of very rookie errors today (misreading the flight of a ball for a header and a really poorly placed pass) - but it's only because I have him on a pedal stool that I'm being this critical. I think he will be very good when his time comes...just a slightly below par performance for him IMO

CCV - imperious, and SO calm on the ball. was not flustered about being closed down and won everything in the air and all 50:50 challenges

Veljkovic - did very well, and together with CCV they were impenetrable. But CCV was more impressive (down to his age and his calmness) - Veljkovic didn't really put a foot wrong though

Amos - tidy, and did what he had to do

Lesniak - very busy player, not spectacular but did his job well breaking up play

Winks - very impressive first half - was everywhere and had that bit of aggression which I hadn't seen from him before. Was much quieter in the second half. His touch and turn and short passing range was very good throughout the full 90

Onomah - some lovely touches and runs, glided through the Porto defence. Not sure why he came off at 45

Walkes - was very busy, closing players down and took his tap in goal well too

Townsend - his usual frustrating self. some fantastic runs, followed by laughable crosses or wrong passes. However the goal that he made was very unselfish of him. He should have been by far the best player on the pitch given his relative experience, but he had very little end product

Coulthirst - controversial maybe, but I don't see him as a proper footballer AT ALL. Yes he scored two goals, which he finished well (both rebounds from other players shots), but his first touch when receiving passes is worse than mine, and he made the wrong run again and again. Was unlucky not to score the third though, and that would have been a decent goal. He reminds me of Darren Bent really

Miller - played second half and was quite tenacious (he's another little one!)

Harrison and Sonupe didn't do too much other than chase down players and of course Sonupe finishing an easy chance (and getting booked for pointlessly kicking the ball away)

That said, Porto were rubbish and the referee was a complete homer

Is it Glover that looks enormous? Probably exaggerated by the camera angel but he make Poch (a CB himself) look tiny!

Is it Glover that looks enormous? Probably exaggerated by the camera angel but he make Poch (a CB himself) look tiny!

Yeah that's Glover, he's about 6'3-6'4 but the angle does exaggerate it a bit. Also makes KWP look tiny but he's about 5'8.

This would be bad news if true :mad:

Murtagh and the club secretary, John Alexander, are conducting the overhaul of United’s approach to development, and there are ambitious plans on the table that include a new mini-stadium. There are suggestions that United will appoint John McDermott, the head of player development at Tottenham Hotspur, Alexander’s former club, which has had notable academy success in recent years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...cent-about-their-once-great-youth-system.html

This would be bad news if true :mad:

Murtagh and the club secretary, John Alexander, are conducting the overhaul of United’s approach to development, and there are ambitious plans on the table that include a new mini-stadium. There are suggestions that United will appoint John McDermott, the head of player development at Tottenham Hotspur, Alexander’s former club, which has had notable academy success in recent years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...cent-about-their-once-great-youth-system.html

Agree but hopefully we have a system which is sufficiently in place such that we're not dependent upon on person

Agree but hopefully we have a system which is sufficiently in place such that we're not dependent upon on person

McDermott is the mastermind though. He's who Arnesen appointed in 2004 and has run and revolutionised the academy since. It would be an enormous blow to lose him

Well the only reason he will go is for more money. Give him what he wants and I'm sure he will stay. He is working within the best academy set up in the premier league.

Well the only reason he will go is for more money. Give him what he wants and I'm sure he will stay. He is working within the best academy set up in the premier league.

Fresh challenge?

He's turned the worst academy in the country into the best. From a drive pov, what more can he achieve with us?

Inglethorpe went to Liverpool didn't he? Can someone remind me how he and McDermott worked together (ie was on the others' boss)?

Fresh challenge?

He's turned the worst academy in the country into the best. From a drive pov, what more can he achieve with us?

Hopefully he has a lot of drive to continue working hard for us. Plenty of room for continued success for our academy. At United he would be at the mercy of the latest manager. fudge me. He might go from LvG to Mourinho if he went there and how much chance would he have to get youngsters into the first team with him in charge?

Hope he's happy where he is. I also hope and think Levy has contingency plans in place if he does leave. Would be very strange if our academy was now a one man show...

Inglethorpe went to Liverpool didn't he? Can someone remind me how he and McDermott worked together (ie was on the others' boss)?

Iglethorpe was a coach, McDermott is in charge of the academy. I think Inglethorpe got a marginal increase in responsibilities at Liverpool and no doubt an inflated wage.

Iglethorpe was a coach, McDermott is in charge of the academy. I think Inglethorpe got a marginal increase in responsibilities at Liverpool and no doubt an inflated wage.

Yes, it was:

Academy Director - McDermott
U21s Coach - Inglethorpe (now Ugo Ehiogu)
U18s Coach - Chris Ramsey (now Kieran McKenna)

Inglethorpe moved to Liverpool to become Academy Director - so a significant promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back