• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigerians always seem to shave 5 years off their real age so they can look better in young age groups and sell for more money to agents, and keep playing til they are 40... very astute people the Nigerians. They will have lost his birth certificate and found a new one. Allegedly.

Nigerians always seem to shave 5 years off their real age so they can look better in young age groups and sell for more money to agents, and keep playing til they are 40... very astute people the Nigerians. They will have lost his birth certificate and found a new one. Allegedly.
someone posted something the other day about how you can tell peoples real ages by their wrist size. I gotta admit I did not fully understand it.

You can tell @NaijaSpurs about that at his 60th birthday party :rolleyes:

Jose??

Leaving prejudgments about Nigerians' ages aside, the club is in a win:win situation with this; if he is older than he claims he is coming to us labelled as a 'youth prospect' but will likely play for us at his physical peak before we sell him on for a profit and then someone else can deal with the fallout of actually having an older player.
If the player is the age that is claimed we get a good prospect that can grow with us.

Win: win

Surely that doesn't work?.... If you were really 21 and playing as a 16 year old... then at the point in your career where you are 40 you would actually be 45?

While this kid clearly scored lots of goals at a good level I am always a bit wary of taking kids who are so much bigger and more powerful than their peers. The problem is that they can tend to rely on their physical superiority and then in 3 or 4 years time when their peers catch up they become a lot less effective. Still, these types of gambles don't cost too much and have a huge potential upside, so are worth taking. I think the fact that Coulibaly is now playing for Peterborough actually shows that Spurs were right to take him. Very few of our young players are likely to make it at the very top level, those that end up playing professional football count as a success.

Anyone know if it would be a similar situation as with Musa Yahaya where he would essentially not be around until he's 18 even if we do sign him?

someone posted something the other day about how you can tell peoples real ages by their wrist size. I gotta admit I did not fully understand it.
It came in about 3 years ago - it is really reliable at U17 level less so after that but you would imagine it will stop overage players.

* when people say lukaku is overage that is just racist as he was born in belgium

Surely that doesn't work?.... If you were really 21 and playing as a 16 year old... then at the point in your career where you are 40 you would actually be 45?

While this kid clearly scored lots of goals at a good level I am always a bit wary of taking kids who are so much bigger and more powerful than their peers. The problem is that they can tend to rely on their physical superiority and then in 3 or 4 years time when their peers catch up they become a lot less effective. Still, these types of gambles don't cost too much and have a huge potential upside, so are worth taking. I think the fact that Coulibaly is now playing for Peterborough actually shows that Spurs were right to take him. Very few of our young players are likely to make it at the very top level, those that end up playing professional football count as a success.
wasn't he about 5 foot nothing so was not a unit- at that age it is still a gamble, they may get an injury or just not progress.

I agree very much with the latter part of your post. These gambles are worth taking. And your take on the Coulibaly situation is also very much spot on I think.

I do feel very confident about our current youth setup not valuing physical power of technical and tactical ability. If we do actually go for this guy I imagine it's because our scouts have seen enough from him in those aspects to feel confident that he's a real talent and not just ahead of the curve physically. Going by the video of his goals from the u17 world cup he does have abilty on the ball and if anything looks like he's not really using his physical strength all that much. Though obviously all kinds of disclaimers about making a judgement based on a hot run of goalscoring form in a youth tournament...

Racist

I think you have to be extremely lucky to sign a "young" player from such a different culture and have him develop into a top player. There is no way myself or any of my family would have been able to cope with such a situation. We have seen how older players have failed to fit in over here.

I think you have to be extremely lucky to sign a "young" player from such a different culture and have him develop into a top player. There is no way myself or any of my family would have been able to cope with such a situation. We have seen how older players have failed to fit in over here.

I think that is a bit of an odd thing to say considering how many top African and South American players that have moved to European clubs at a young age and have gone on to be very, very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back