• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Poch told him something, or is it that Veljkovic just is eager to try something new?
He clearly isnt better than Jan/Toby, and my guess is that Wimmer and Dier also is better CBs.
Would be sad to lose a talented player, but Poch cant just throw him in to please him either.

Has Poch told him something, or is it that Veljkovic just is eager to try something new?
He clearly isnt better than Jan/Toby, and my guess is that Wimmer and Dier also is better CBs.
Would be sad to lose a talented player, but Poch cant just throw him in to please him either.

I cannot really blame the player when his coach is telling him he is too good for under 21 team, and I guess after playing an integral part in the under 20 world cup winning Serbian team I can understand while he would feel he is ready for a bigger challenge.

The ideal situation for me would be for him to sign a new contract and then send him on a season loan.

Perhaps this is the downside of playing so many youngsters. On one hand it gives the youngsters a belief they will get a chance on the other maybe when they get to his age they start wondering 'why not me too?' Maybe they lose patience quicker.

Just a thought.

Perhaps this is the downside of playing so many youngsters. On one hand it gives the youngsters a belief they will get a chance on the other maybe when they get to his age they start wondering 'why not me too?' Maybe they lose patience quicker.

Just a thought.
Don't think it's much of an issue, if he was good enough then he'd already been involved. He's older than someone like Alli who's already been elevated to being a first team regular along with other young players, so if Poch thought he was good enough he would have been used - he's obviously aware of his talents....

Don't think it's much of an issue, if he was good enough then he'd already been involved. He's older than someone like Alli who's already been elevated to being a first team regular along with other young players, so if Poch thought he was good enough he would have been used - he's obviously aware of his talents....

Agree with this, if he was that good he would be pushing for a place in the side or at least the bench.

Pochettino's judgement is infallible, my take on it is it's more an issue with Veljkovic's style of play not being exactly what Pochettino requires(high energy, all action etc) rather than him flat out thinking he's not good enough. I think Veljkovic will go on to be a good player, just not with us. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the Nemanja Matic case where Chelsea let him go for peanuts before realising a couple of years later they'd made a mistake and decided to bring him back for £20m+.

As for today, good to see the u18s to get a win after blanking in their last two games, the conditions were terrible though so the quality was at a minimum.

Pochettino's judgement is infallible, my take on it is it's more an issue with Veljkovic's style of play not being exactly what Pochettino requires(high energy, all action etc) rather than him flat out thinking he's not good enough. I think Veljkovic will go on to be a good player, just not with us. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the Nemanja Matic case where Chel53a let him go for peanuts before realising a couple of years later they'd made a mistake and decided to bring him back for £20m+.

As for today, good to see the u18s to get a win after blanking in their last two games, the conditions were terrible though so the quality was at a minimum.

Could be a style of play issue. Though it seems a bit strange for a DM. I wouldn't describe Dier's current role as high energy or all action. He's doing what he's doing through good positioning and strong tackling. But he's not chasing around the park like players I would desrcibe as high energy and all action.

Just speculating, but I think the contract issue could be a bit of a circular thing. Are we going to trust him with game time for our first team knowing that he can sign for anyone else on a pre-contract in January?

Onomah signed a new contract this summer and is getting game time. If I remember correctly there were similar renewals for Bentaleb and Kane when they started getting game time (or quickly after with them having more than a year left anyway).

I think a Matic, Pogba or Jordi Alba type situation is almost inevitable given a very strong academy and first team. Some players won't get the time to play they want, some players will develop later than others. The problem for Chelsea is that while players like Matic get away from them essentially no one makes the step up from reserve to first team player. That can't be said about us. Hopefully, like Barcelona, we get som buy-back clauses for most of our most talented youngsters that get away so that we can get them back if they do step it up at a later stage. Obviously not going to happen with Veljkovic if he lets his contract run out though.

Just a thought.

Different positions tend to come through at different ages. CBs and GKs might not come through till say 22/23, whereas attacking players or fullback more often push through as teenagers

I wonder if the solution is to give MV a one-year extension and tell him to go and really nail a championship loan (which so far injury has prevented him doing)

Alternatively - sell Fazio in January and don't buy a replacement. Tell MV that if he signs the contract he's in the 25 man squad as 4th choice CB. That's effectively the same status as Trippier, Davies, Bentaleb, Chadli, Njie and other good/established players.

Alternatively - sell Fazio in January and don't buy a replacement. Tell MV that if he signs the contract he's in the 25 man squad as 4th choice CB. That's effectively the same status as Trippier, Davies, Bentaleb, Chadli, Njie and other good/established players.

I think we're flogging a dead horse with Veljkovic now, you may well be right that Fazio gets moved on(either in Jan or the summer) and a youth player takes his place but right now it's far more likely that player will be CCV than MV.

I think we're flogging a dead horse with Veljkovic now, you may well be right that Fazio gets moved on(either in Jan or the summer) and a youth player takes his place but right now it's far more likely that player will be CCV than MV.

2CV is two years younger though, so even less likely to be ready yet. Veljkovic is captaining the U21s and seems to be the one Ugo is pushing

2CV is two years younger though, so even less likely to be ready yet. Veljkovic is captaining the U21s and seems to be the one Ugo is pushing

It doesn't matter who Ugo pushes, Poch likes who he likes and as you can see from this quote, age is just a number to him:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/07/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-youth?
“I’m not afraid to play them,” says Pochettino. “If a player deserves to play, if they are 17, 18, 19 or 20 it’s the same for us, if they deserve to play and show character and maturity to be given the responsibility. But for that, you need to build the player.”

CCV is a more mature player than Onomah for example and Poch has shown trust in him so I don't think he would tell CCV to come back and see him once he turns 21, if Poch likes him then he'll bring him in. Veljkovic has a little over six months left on his contract and still looks nowhere near first team squad contention, he's not even training with the first team(CCV regularly is), in fact I've been told that Pochettino prefers Amos to Veljkovic(as a DM) so it really is difficult to see how this will end in anything other than Veljkovic leaving the club.

It doesn't matter who Ugo pushes, Poch likes who he likes and as you can see from this quote, age is just a number to him:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/07/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-youth?

CCV is a more mature player than Onomah for example and Poch has shown trust in him so I don't think he would tell CCV to come back and see him once he turns 21, if Poch likes him then he'll bring him in. Veljkovic has a little over six months left on his contract and still looks nowhere near first team squad contention, he's not even training with the first team(CCV regularly is), in fact I've been told that Pochettino prefers Amos to Veljkovic(as a DM) so it really is difficult to see how this will end in anything other than Veljkovic leaving the club.

You might very well be right on Veljkovic, certainly looking that way at this point.

I think there's a solid difference between an attacking midfielder and a centre back when it comes to experience and age though. Under Pochettino Southampton signed Lovren, we've signed Fazio and then Alderweireld, in addition to two younger players in Dier and Wimmer. Dier has only really played a little at centre back and Wimmer is also being used sparingly. Pochettino wouldn't be the only manager that stresses the importance of experience at centre back a bit higher than in other areas if he does that.

Veljkovic is 20. It's extremely rare to see a centre back establishing themselves at a team at our level at that age.

Defensive midfield position is a bit different. You would know better than me, is it really unfair to rate Amos ahead of Veljkovic in that position? I've seen some very positive reports on Amos in the past, only seen him once myself (vs. Chelsea u21 iirc) and thought he looked promising for sure.

I don't think it's quite as simple as Onomah getting minutes and therefore Poch showing trust in him. Onomah is a forward, and sticking a young forward on for 20 minutes is MUCH lower risk than messing around with your defence. With Wimmer, Favio and even Dier on the books, we have good depth at CB. Whereas there don't have to be too many forwards injured before we get down to the yoofs.

That said, if 2CV is at the head of the queue, that's fair enough -- perhaps his game is a better fit, in relation to where Poch feels he needs it. Hopefully the club have been communicating with Veljkovic and he'll sign a contract and accept a good loan somewhere. If not, well, you can't keep everyone happy, and top-level players aren't going to stick around -- that's why they're top-level players!

Nigerian youngster Victor Osimhen will join Tottenham after sealing transfer – report

Tottenham have completed the signing of Nigerian youngster Victor Osimhen, according to reports.

Osimhen, 16, was the star of Nigeria’s recent Under-17 World Cup triumph, with the forward scoring ten goals in seven games at the tournament, including one in the final against Mali.

Tottenham were reported to have opened talks with the player’s representatives during the competition, and according to AS he will now join Mauricio Pochettino’s side.

Osimhen’s compatriot Kelechi Nwakali – who was voted player of the tournament – is also understood to be on his way to the Premier League with Emirates Marketing Project.

If this compilation of Osimhen’s goals at the World Cup is anything to go by, Spurs have picked themselves up a serious talent…

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/12/niger...tenham-after-sealing-transfer-report-5495689/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back