• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Adam Ljajic has been dropped from Serbia's squad for refusing to sing the national anthem. Ljajic is muslim.

German Squad for Euros:

Goalkeepers:
Manuel Neuer Bayern Munich
Tim Wiese Werder Bremen
Ron-Robert Zieler Hannover

Defenders:
Holger Badstuber Bayern Munich
Jerome Boateng Bayern Munich
Benedikt Howedes Schalke
Mats Hummels Dortmund
Philipp Lahm Bayern Munich
Per Mertesacker Arsenal
Marcel Schmelzer Dortmund

Midfielders:
Lars Bender Leverkusen
Mario Gotze Dortmund
Ilkay Gundogan Dortmund
Sami Khedira Real Madrid
Toni Kroos Bayern Munich
Mesut Ozil Real Madrid
Bastian Schweinsteiger Bayern Munich

Attackers:
Mario Gomez Bayern Munich
Miroslav Klose Lazio
Thomas Muller Bayern Munich
Lukas Podolski Koln
Marco Reus Monchengladbach
Andre Schurrle Leverkusen

depth!!!!

German Squad for Euros:

Goalkeepers:
Manuel Neuer Bayern Munich
Tim Wiese Werder Bremen
Ron-Robert Zieler Hannover

Defenders:
Holger Badstuber Bayern Munich
Jerome Boateng Bayern Munich
Benedikt Howedes Schalke
Mats Hummels Dortmund
Philipp Lahm Bayern Munich
Per Mertesacker Arsenal
Marcel Schmelzer Dortmund

Midfielders:
Lars Bender Leverkusen
Mario Gotze Dortmund
Ilkay Gundogan Dortmund
Sami Khedira Real Madrid
Toni Kroos Bayern Munich
Mesut Ozil Real Madrid
Bastian Schweinsteiger Bayern Munich

Attackers:
Mario Gomez Bayern Munich
Miroslav Klose Lazio
Thomas Muller Bayern Munich
Lukas Podolski Koln
Marco Reus Monchengladbach
Andre Schurrle Leverkusen

depth!!!!

That is a fantastic squad! Maybe a little short on experience compared to Spain, but fantastic none the less.

Just how many managers have failed to do that on a consistent basis over the years, the consistent through all the managers is the so called "golden generation" of players. They are not good enough its as simple as that.

Whole heartedly agree, but the manager is in there with them. An entire nation managed to identify the problem in the middle of our midfield, yet none of those managers was brave enough to make the right decision.

Whole heartedly agree, but the manager is in there with them. An entire nation managed to identify the problem in the middle of our midfield, yet none of those managers was brave enough to make the right decision.

Ah yes, the classic Lampard plus Gerrard midfield, that every single manager has tried to make work, thinking themselves more likely to succeed then the last..

Common mistake with national teams is picking the 11 best individuals as opposed to a team.

England desperately need to perform well in this tournament. I'm not expecting them to win or anything but they at least need to play a bit of exciting football and make it look like they are at least interested. I don't know how it has gone so horribly wrong with the team spirit and wanting to actually play for England. I guess it is just money but there must be some pride. Rooney has a godamn st georges tatooed on his arm for gods sake.

I dont like the way Hodgson has come out in the press saying he is only really focussed on the next world cup. Still can't believe Richards has been completely overlooked. very strange.

anyway lets see how we get on against France. That will tell us a lot I feel.

He hasn't said that, he said that he was focussed on more than just the Euros

Im more frustrated with the fact he has said he is going to stick with 4-4-2 no matter what almost and build the team around Rooney. That would be fine if we had a left winger who was better than Downing!!! but we dont, so does that mean that tard is going to get in the team all the time. Personally if he was focused on more than the Euros he should have gone with a younger squad.

In future barring injury I would like us to field a team something like this:

----------------Hart-----------------

Walker---Jones----Cahill------Cole/Gibbs

---------Cleverly--Wheelchair------------

--Chamberlain--Rooney---Young--------

----------------Carroll-----------------

Adam Ljajic has been dropped from Serbia's squad for refusing to sing the national anthem. Ljajic is muslim.

It is the second time in under a month that Ljajic has made headlines. On May 2, Ljajic was on the receiving end of punches from then Fiorentina manager Delio Rossi, having sarcastically applauded his substitution. Rossi was later dismissed from his role.

He has got attitude problems, doesn't he. If you doesn't like singing the national anthem of your country, then you shouldn't be playing for the national team. And no manager will take it kindly if a player sarcastically applaud being substituted. Just imagine if VDV does that to Redknapp. Even the soft-type Redknapp will drop any player for that.

It is the second time in under a month that Ljajic has made headlines. On May 2, Ljajic was on the receiving end of punches from then Fiorentina manager Delio Rossi, having sarcastically applauded his substitution. Rossi was later dismissed from his role.

Am I the only one who would like to see Delio Rossi in charge at Emirates Marketing Project? Tevez, Balotelli and Rossi could make for an interesting time!

He has got attitude problems, doesn't he. If you doesn't like singing the national anthem of your country, then you shouldn't be playing for the national team. And no manager will take it kindly if a player sarcastically applaud being substituted. Just imagine if VDV does that to Redknapp. Even the soft-type Redknapp will drop any player for that.

I assumed it had something to do with him being a muslim that meant he felt he shouldn't sing it.. I have no ideas what the words are...

If not, why was it mentioned that he was a muslim? 8-[

Sol: Fans could come back in coffins

Former international Sol Campbell has warned England fans not to travel to Euro 2012 because of the threat of racism and violence.

There are growing concerns regarding the safety of supporters ahead of this summer's European Championship, with the British Foreign Office warning about co-hosts Ukraine that "travellers of Asian or Afro-Caribbean descent and individuals belonging to religious minorities should take extra care".

England trio Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Joleon Lescott have already confirmed their families will not be making the trip to the tournament amid worries about being racially abused.

And Campbell, 37, has expressed his belief that UEFA, football's European governing body, should not have allowed Poland and Ukraine to host the competition, which begins on June 8.

The ex-Arsenal and Tottenham defender told BBC's Panorama programme: "Stay at home, watch it on TV. Don't even risk it ... because you could end up coming back in a coffin.

"I think that they were wrong, because what they should say is that if you want this tournament you sort your problems out.

"Until we see a massive improvement, that you have sorted (it) out, you are never going to get the tournament. You do not deserve these prestigious tournaments in your country."

The BBC documentary, which will be screened on Monday night, investigates violence and racism at football matches in the host countries.

It contains footage of fans giving the Nazi salute, taunting black players with monkey noises, anti-Semitic chants and a group of Asian students being attacked at the Metalist Stadium, Kharkiv, one of the venues hosting matches in Ukraine.

UEFA said in a statement: "UEFA Euro 2012 brings the spotlight on the host countries and clearly creates an opportunity to address and confront such societal issues.

"UEFA's zero-tolerance approach to racism is still valid both on and off the pitch and ultimately the referee has the power to stop or abandon a match should racist incidents occur."

---------------------------------

It seems England are already trying to find the ready-made excuse to fail. They are probably going to say England failed because the fans were hostile. England are not going to get many friends in Ukraine and Poland with comments like this. This is the kind of mentality that had probably cost England the 2018 World Cup.

Last edited:
It's like the universe is throwing out opportunities for Hodgson to rectify the mistakes he made in the original squad. Johnson and Barry get injured, after he left out two players in those positions who definitely should have gone - Richards and Carrick.

I'm also afraid I still disagree with Parker being first choice for either us or England. In the game against Norway he barely ever passed it forward. When he gets the ball, trots forward with it a bit, then does a 180 and passes it backward or sideways I just want to shoot myself. If Wheelchair isn't fit, it needs to be someone like Carrick who actually is a skillful passer, I don't see how Parker and Gerrard can work, neither of them controls the tempo of the game.

I also think Livermore has what it takes to become a really great midfield player. I think he could be like our Busquets. Not quite yet but he'll grow into a really good player I believe.

Back