• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Sorry mate, that's me. My nickname 'in real life' has been Wookie for the past 20 or so years, and that's the name I use for my Fantasy Footy teams.

"In Real Life"? Mate, I live Wookie. Hair up the crack of your arse? A back that David Bellamy could peer out of? I thought not... Wookie Wanderers will be winning this league, now GTFO=;

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports

England midfielder Gareth Barry has been ruled out of Euro 2012, the FA has confirmed

Henderson it is then. Get in!!

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports

England midfielder Gareth Barry has been ruled out of Euro 2012, the FA has confirmed

Henderson it is then. Get in!!

No news on Parker?

The fact that he was icing his ankle after the match was not reassuring..

We might be heading into another major tournament without a fully fit holding midfielder..

I do not think there is much difference between Redknapp or Hodgson in what they have achieved, the main difference (and the reason why Hodgson got the job and Redknapp had no chance) is that Hodgson has shown with Fulham and WBA that he can organise a team better ( ie tactics); If England are ever going to achieve any success with the poor players we have then we have to have a line up that will play to a plan and under Redknapp they will not happen.

Motivator he may be but a tactical manager never, the same thing would have happened as it did with KK and that is why i was always convinced that the FA would never give Redknapp the job.

you could argue that with international teams during qualifying having so little build up time to matches that have a motivator rather than a tactics manager is a good thing. Everyone would say that cappelo was a tactics manager and it never worked with him.

At the top level the players should be talented and able to grasp tactical changes quickly. I still beleive that Redknapp was made for the England Job, he would have made players feel happy and able to express themselves, instead of them crapping themselves every time they pull on a 3 lions shirt. The down side for harry is that he would not have implemented any system to work through the ranks. But I would argue Roy and is 4-4-2 is not either.

you could argue that with international teams during qualifying having so little build up time to matches that have a motivator rather than a tactics manager is a good thing. Everyone would say that cappelo was a tactics manager and it never worked with him. At the top level the players should be talented and able to grasp tactical changes quickly. I still beleive that Redknapp was made for the England Job, he would have made players feel happy and able to express themselves, instead of them crapping themselves every time they pull on a 3 lions shirt. The down side for harry is that he would not have implemented any system to work through the ranks. But I would argue Roy and is 4-4-2 is not either.

76%win average ( higher then the manager who won us the world cup) would say different.

the only fcuk up about Capello was South africa, and he admitted he got it all wrong with the preparation/training camp for a big tournament. Being a club manager all his life, that was no surprise

Going in to a tournament, the last thing needed is another pre season. You need rested and fresh players.

Going in to a tournament, the last thing needed is another pre season. You need rested and fresh players.

yes, and it seems the build up to Euro 2012 is a lot more relaxed than it was under Capello for the World Cup......

76%win average ( higher then the manager who won us the world cup) would say different.

I take your point, but when it mattered we were awful. And also a lot of wins were in Friendlies which mean almost nothing. Plus the way we played under him was dire no matter the results we were getting.

I take your point, but when it mattered we were awful. And also a lot of wins were in Friendlies which mean almost nothing. Plus the way we played under him was dire no matter the results we were getting.

I would say that had more to do with the poor quality of players then his ability.

Lies, damned lies and statistics?

Capello failed to address the imbalance in the team caused by shoe horning both Gerrard and Lampard into the same XI. The second he did that he failed as England manager imo. We played some absolutely turgid football during his reign, absolutely no new direction either on the current squad or the future of English football (not that you can level that at him, but as a team, the FA and coaches have completely fudged up imo).

International football died for me around 2002/03, I've had practically no interest since in England and prefer to watch other teams. I was hoping Roy would change that but the second his squad was released you could see it would just be more of the same. I'll wait quietly we get the next, next England manager.

Lies, damned lies and statistics?

Capello failed to address the imbalance in the team caused by shoe horning both Gerrard and Lampard into the same XI. The second he did that he failed as England manager imo. We played some absolutely turgid football during his reign, absolutely no new direction either on the current squad or the future of English football (not that you can level that at him, but as a team, the FA and coaches have completely fudged up imo).

International football died for me around 2002/03, I've had practically no interest since in England and prefer to watch other teams. I was hoping Roy would change that but the second his squad was released you could see it would just be more of the same. I'll wait quietly we get the next, next England manager.

Statistics are brilliant for looking back at things that have happened.

It's much harder to justify using them to prove what will happen in the future...

Statistics are brilliant for looking back at things that have happened.

It's much harder to justify using them to prove what will happen in the future...

Absolutely right. In this case, we can use statistics to tell us that Capello won a comendable amount of games in friendlies and against lower quality teams in qualifiers, but ultimately could never get a team to beat a "peer" in competition.

Absolutely right. In this case, we can use statistics to tell us that Capello won a commendable amount of games in friendlies and against lower quality teams in qualifiers, but ultimately could never get a team to beat a "peer" in competition.

Just how many managers have failed to do that on a consistent basis over the years, the consistent through all the managers is the so called "golden generation" of players. They are not good enough its as simple as that.

Back