• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Couple questions (from a non-cricket expert!)

What's the feeling of most 'Test' fans about the effect T20 will have long term? If it becomes the most played form for youngsters would we end up with Test matches where batsmen are slogging it everywhere and the games are all over in 3 days?

Why don't England have many players who can single-handedly change a T20 game like Gayle? Why do we have people like Root in there? Do we tend to coach players to bat more like Cook from an early age?

I dislike T20. Batsmen just come in and slog at the ball, for every decent shot played you see 4 or 5 swings and players are so focused on slogging they don't try placing shots. If you look at the size of some of the players in T20 they are getting beefed up for power like baseball players. Slogging is more successful on non British pitches as the ball does not move about as much as in this country. If you see a player like Gayle play on a seaming wicket he looks like he's never played before, he may come off but in the long run he'll get out quickly.

Like all sport it will lose all it's endearing features in it's quest for money.

I actually do not believe T20 is about power hitting but more innings management.

Gayle was a test player long before being a T20 player and he had a natural flair thats translated well to T20.

6 balls an over x 20 is 120 runs, two a ball is 240 and I think teams are yet to figure a pace to the game, I honestly think there is a conservative way out there to win and win big..

I agree. It's a bit like the bowling strategy. At first it was thought to load up on fast bowlers to rattle the stumps, but now it seems the best bowling options are spinners and medium pacers who take the pace off the ball.

There'll always be a place for big hitters like Gayle but I think you need to balance it out with batsmen who will collect 1's and 2's and not lose their wicket cheaply.

You're both right about getting twos will make a big score, but the fielding positions make it very difficult to get them after the first six overs, hence the slogging, saw some lovely straight and cover drives in Bardados but only got one run as fielders almost on boundary. On the point of Gayle he is probably the last person anyone would want to bat or field with, the man just does not want to move, I'm sure he would like to have a mobility scooter.

Pakistan just beaten Australia by 20 odd, great innings from Akmal and some great death bowling from Gul & Bhatti

India vs WI at 1.30pm

England were getting ripped apart on Talksport when they were 0/2,saying they should get the next flight home blah blah,Hales put that straight......... the only thing that lets England down is consistency....playing South Africa tomorrow it be back to normal but Hales is innings yesterday,wowzer !!!,that six to win it its still travelling somewhere.

Dernbach again today that's gotta be it for him he's ****e.. We lose by 3 he went for 26 of the 18th over pathetic

Dernbach has cost England a number of games recently it seems, always gets slogged all over the park. Clearly England miss the presence of Swann and Pietersen in this format, pretty sure Anderson played 4 years ago too.

Dernbach returns to form as the worse T20 bowler in the world. I was annoyed by the BBC headline "England Crash Out of World Cup" losing by 3 runs chasing 197 and a dodgy umpire call on the weather hardly deserve that, but I suppose they must reflect the modern world where if you win your the greatest thing in the history of the world and if you lose your dog s***

Dernbach returns to form as the worse T20 bowler in the world. I was annoyed by the BBC headline "England Crash Out of World Cup" losing by 3 runs chasing 197 and a dodgy umpire call on the weather hardly deserve that, but I suppose they must reflect the modern world where if you win your the greatest thing in the history of the world and if you lose your dog s***

Totally agree. Heard Jack Bannister saying the same sort of thing, how we are out and deservedly so. Very very harsh.

Another day we could have been sat top with 3 wins and he would have been s@cking off the team

This 3 run loss is a bit deceptive. Bresnan hit something like 16 off the last 3 balls when Steyn was just concentrating on not bowling a no ball.

It was close but the score line flatters England a bit

In this T20 format blink and you are out of the Tournament, one D/L, one loss and one win and we are out.

Too many nearly men in England side, Dernbach is a terrible cricket player and fielder...

That was hilarious to watch. That dreadful run-out at the end summed it up.

None of the English batsmen managed to build an innings and England's fielding was poor too.

Last edited:
Back