• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Enjoying watching WI v NZ. None of the over the top aggression, nasty sledging or stupid face pulling.
Its refreshing.

Enjoying watching WI v NZ. None of the over the top aggression, nasty sledging or stupid face pulling.
Its refreshing.

Yeah, I love watching test matches that don't involve England. You know, cos teams actually look to score quickly and build pressure and you don't get the same angst from watching as a neutral.

Swann retired?!?!? Can't believe it, probably my favourite player from this great England team.

Truly a world class spinner, Englands first for a long time, and handy with the bat too. Really gonna miss him big time.

Im most shocked that he's a) retired in the middle of a tour and b) from all forms of the game. Would still love to watch him in the one day game. Hope he gets a gig on TV, seems like he'd be a great personality to watch.

His Twitter followers reckon that he was fine before a meeting with team management. The inference is that he was told he wouldn't be playing the last two tests and chose to retire as a result.

His Twitter followers reckon that he was fine before a meeting with team management. The inference is that he was told he wouldn't be playing the last two tests and chose to retire as a result.

Sure retire from Test cricket, maybe all international cricket, but even domestic cricket which is the inference from the stories? I don't think he would do that just because he was getting dropped.

Those in the know have mentioned that this was likely to be his last series anyway. I am wondering whether his is in fact retiring from all cricket or just test cricket.

What a test in SA - gutted we only drew but why didn't SA go for it. 16 runs needed off last 2 overs with 3 wickets left (maybe 2 as not sure Morkel would bat) to make the biggest run chase in history and they chose to play for a draw after Du Plessis got out. Bit weak really.

What a test in SA - gutted we only drew but why didn't SA go for it. 16 runs needed off last 2 overs with 3 wickets left (maybe 2 as not sure Morkel would bat) to make the biggest run chase in history and they chose to play for a draw after Du Plessis got out. Bit weak really.

!6 in 2 overs with tail enders and only Imran Tahir to come in is not on. If Faf had not been runout it was on.
Better to go to Durban all square.

However, what a test. It could have gone any which way. The beauty of test cricket.

Well done to both teams.

Steyn and Philander aren't what you'd term as no 11's - they can play a few shots. As evidenced by Steyn hitting last ball of the match for 6 and Philander got a 50 in the first innings.

Reading report again it was actually 16 needed off last 20 deliveries, I just think when the chance comes to make history like that you have to go for it. IMO that's what Sport is all about.

Fair point. I just don't think SA wanted to risk going into the second test one done.
Maybe if it was a 3 match series.

What do you think India would have done in a similar situation.

Steyn and Philander aren't what you'd term as no 11's - they can play a few shots. As evidenced by Steyn hitting last ball of the match for 6 and Philander got a 50 in the first innings.

Reading report again it was actually 16 needed off last 20 deliveries, I just think when the chance comes to make history like that you have to go for it. IMO that's what Sport is all about.

Fair point. I just don't think SA wanted to risk going into the second test one done.
Maybe if it was a 3 match series.

What do you think India would have done in a similar situation.

I'd like to think they would have gone for it. Dhoni is quite attacking and hasn't seem scared to lose matches in the past plus we have decent stroke players down the order. We'd have had Ashwin and Khan in and they both know how to hit.

Never know though he equally may have reined it in - maybe they want to protect their number 1 ranking too much.

Is the fast bowling trio of Steyn/Philander/Morkel as good as any in history? The West Indies of the 80s probably has them beat

Back