• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Blue & Yellow ITK Bonanza Thread

Would be funny to nick another player from 'pools grasp.

Seems too expensive for this to have any legs though

Can't see why we need him, given that he plays attacking midfielder and, with the seemingly imminent signing of Paulinho, we have a wealth of talent for the midfield areas already!

Could play any of the front positions of a 4-3-3 and offers a genuine goal threat - exactly the kind of player we need.

Morgan works for the mail or is connected to them so it may be that hes only just heard the news and is simply posting what he's heard.

Using Bale as an example to justify spending large sum on kids is not a valid argument. There are plenty of kids with potential that have fallen by the wayside. For every Bale there are a hundred others who look the real deal and don't make it for a variety of reasons. My point is not don't invest in youth, but rather dont gamble big on unproven talent and 17mil is too expensive IMHO.

Using Bale as an example is not a valid argument, but a blanket statement that there are "a hundred players who look the real deal and don't make it" for every Bale is?

It's not like every high profile expensive youngster signed that doesn't turn out as good as Bale ends up like Bostock. Someone like Walcott, a useful player for the scum never really fulfilled his early potential, but for that price a useful player for a top team isn't really a terrible deal.

It's reported as £17m for two players, if anywhere near accurate that would probably include plenty of clauses and add-ons depending on how they develop. If they end up flopping we would probably be paying less. Even ignoring that around £8.5m is far from outlandish for a very highly rated young player these days, if the scouts, Baldini, AVB, the transfer team, Sherwood, Ferdinand and the cleaning lady all agree that they are some of the best young players around I would be happy about that. Again, I think the Bale comparison is valid because it was a similar amount we paid for him I believe.

Using Bale as an example is not a valid argument, but a blanket statement that there are "a hundred players who look the real deal and don't make it" for every Bale is?

It's not like every high profile expensive youngster signed that doesn't turn out as good as Bale ends up like Bostock. Someone like Walcott, a useful player for the scum never really fulfilled his early potential, but for that price a useful player for a top team isn't really a terrible deal.

It's reported as £17m for two players, if anywhere near accurate that would probably include plenty of clauses and add-ons depending on how they develop. If they end up flopping we would probably be paying less. Even ignoring that around £8.5m is far from outlandish for a very highly rated young player these days, if the scouts, Baldini, AVB, the transfer team, Sherwood, Ferdinand and the cleaning lady all agree that they are some of the best young players around I would be happy about that. Again, I think the Bale comparison is valid because it was a similar amount we paid for him I believe.

Walcott is a v.good example. As is Defoe - remember when he was on loan at Bournemouth and banging in goals for fun at 16? He was going to be the real deal, and if football had stayed the way it was 10 years ago, he would be the best goalscorer in England now (IMHO).

Defoe turned out to be a very good Premiership player and is the kind of kid we should be looking at (talentwise, not position wise). The Bale's et al are few and far between, and most of them will have been spotted by the big boys.

That leaves us with the likes of Defoe and Carrick from a young age and the likes of Modric/Berbatov (talented, but the big boys are reluctant to make the move for some reason)

Well this is point exactly, the Bales of this world are few and far between and spending 'Bale' like money on them would be foolhardy. While 8.5 mil is not totally outlandish it is at the high end of the scale, so unless the scouts are pretty damn sure sure that BOTH these boys are going to make it almost immediately then this could be a fair portion of transfer budget put out use. If we spent Bostock size money on them then they are obviously less of a risk. My opinion is that 17mil could buy us a some proven talent rather risk it on potential. Now this opinion might seem a little callous but I have seen so many of the players from my own club head into the PL machine and very few make it. We've even had one make it into the fabled La Masia (jury still out on him).

If we are moving the goal posts with the transfer figure then this discussion is moot anyway.

Well this is point exactly, the Bales of this world are few and far between and spending 'Bale' like money on them would be foolhardy. While 8.5 mil is not totally outlandish it is at the high end of the scale, so unless the scouts are pretty damn sure sure that BOTH these boys are going to make it almost immediately then this could be a fair portion of transfer budget put out use. If we spent Bostock size money on them then they are obviously less of a risk. My opinion is that 17mil could buy us a some proven talent rather risk it on potential. Now this opinion might seem a little callous but I have seen so many of the players from my own club head into the PL machine and very few make it. We've even had one make it into the fabled La Masia (jury still out on him).

If we are moving the goal posts with the transfer figure then this discussion is moot anyway.

(Accepting that this is hypothetical)

They're both 17, I don't think they would be very likely that they would make it immediately. Some impact perhaps, but immediate starters improving our starting 11, not sure.

If the club thinks they're good enough with enough potential then it's not foolhardy. Yes, we could get proven talent for that money, but if we want real superstars we need to sign them before they've fulfilled their potential.

It's a bit of a gamble, but most likely you're not going to get a complete flop. The most likely outcome is probably at least a solid first team player, like I said then the fee isn't outrageous. But if there's also a decent chance that one of the players develops into a real superstar and that makes this the kind of gambles we should be making with some of our transfer budget imo.

Boils down to transfer strategy, we're competing with teams with significantly bigger budgets than ourselves. Competing with them going toe to toe trying to sign proven talent will be almost impossible I think. We need to be smart, we need to identify those special signings and we need to be taking some risks with a long term focus. If we stop doing that to only sign proven players I think we will regress long term.

(This will be the last post from me on this in this thread, we could continue this in another thread perhaps)

Can't see why we need him, given that he plays attacking midfielder and, with the seemingly imminent signing of Paulinho, we have a wealth of talent for the midfield areas already!

To be honest, although Paulinho has been banded about by some as an attacking midfielder, most Brazilian sources describe him as a defensive midfielder. Although I think the reality as described by Tim Vickery is he is a box-to-box player.

One critic of the Paulinho transfer was that the midfield still lacks creativity. If Mikhitaryan is creative and scores goals too, then we have a defensive midfielder (Sandro), box-to-box (Paulinho) and attacking midfield/playmaker (Mikhitaryan) who also scores a lot. So we have upgraded the goal-threat in the box-to-box option (Dembele to Paulinho), replaced Modric/VDV creative gap and goal-threat (Mikhitaryan) kept Sandro there, but have Dembele to fit in who can probably play all 3 roles to an extent without necessarily the goal-threat.

hertyid re: Paulinho:

Just received a text to say the deal is done.
Welcome to Spurs

Oh. A TEXT! It must be true! GET IN!!!

I just had a text from my wife saying I'm getting lucky tonight and I don't even believe that! Let alone this!

Pretty sure when the deal is done either Corinthians or Spurs will announce it. Usually, these clubs don't sign players and then keep it under their hats for 10 days! Paulinho said he will talk with his family after the Confederations Cup and then decide. I'm sure it's just a case of running it past his Wife/Girlfriend/Mum & Dad.

I just had a text from my wife saying I'm getting lucky tonight and I don't even believe that! Let alone this!

Pretty sure when the deal is done either Corinthians or Spurs will announce it. Usually, these clubs don't sign players and then keep it under their hats for 10 days! Paulinho said he will talk with his family after the Confederations Cup and then decide. I'm sure it's just a case of running it past his Wife/Girlfriend/Mum & Dad.

Can't he just text them?

Not saying that I trust hertyid, but if we had gotten his signature during this week I would expect the deal to be announced after the Confederations Cup final.

Who Phantom of the Lane
Date 28th June
Site COYS

On Paulinho:

Once again, Daniel and Franco have worked incredibly hard on this deal. Medical is outstanding so is signing of the contracts.

POTL

Who Phantom of the Lane
Date 28th June
Site COYS

On Paulinho:

Once again, Daniel and Franco have worked incredibly hard on this deal. Medical is outstanding so is signing of the contracts.

POTL

Slightly more believeable. The 'deal is done' quotes have to be flimflam as there's no way we would sign him before the end of the tournament in case he did his ACL in the final

Ok so the contract isn't signed...which means he could be coming, or then again....
Oh how I wish I could be completely indifferent to all this, and just wait to see who puts on the kit for our first league game (or knowing DL), for our 3rd or 4th league game!

Slightly more believeable. The 'deal is done' quotes have to be flimflam as there's no way we would sign him before the end of the tournament in case he did his ACL in the final

Not sure how relevant that is, if he wasn't playing in the Confeds right now he'd be playing for Corinthians.

I think Danny and the rest know exactly who POTL is and even feed him scraps from time to time when they want to get something out to the fans without using the press.

Back