• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

I think he is a good forward, arguably a very good forward, but not a great forward.

There's no doubting that on his day he's unplayable, but how many of those days does he have? Not enough given his talent.

I always assumed that he was a good finisher considering his goal record at Arsenal, but his finishing was poor last season in a lot of games. I take your point about the goals wrongly disallowed.

Llorente has proven himself in La Liga, which is one of the top 2 leagues in the world. He was a real handful in the Europa League last season and bullied Man United. When given the chance for Spain, he's done very well. I've explained why I believe he's better than Adebayor. I wouldn't be completely unhappy with Ade, but I'd prefer Llorente.

P.s. I hope your joking about Carroll

I sort of hope I am too but cannot be sure at this point...it could be a defensive 'prepare-myself' reaction in case it happens?!?!*&^%!

Llorente wage demands are in the same bracket as Ade's, but we won't get City to subsidise Llorente's.

Agree with KD - Ade's alround/link-up contribution and mobility top Llorente's heading and shooting superiority.

To me Carroll doesn't offer anything additional to that which Ade would, nor would he complement him if we ever wanted to play 2 up. Leandro however is a far more clinical finisher and could play alongside Ade, as well as an alternative lone forward.

He would be a back-up to Ade for sure, and no, I could not ever see the two working together; Defoe or VdV off one of them, or the old 4-3-3...I must say, Leandro's finishing in the Olympics has been great, and I would like to see him here, but if we put all our eggs in his basket we'd be foolish as I still believe that carving a couple out against Japan at Wembley is going to be far, far different to The Stadium of Light in December; the lad will need time to adjust "if" he comes, but given the overall policy AVB and Levy are developing, I'd be happy of course, but only if we also get Ade...

Putting Carroll's ability or lack of it to one side, I'd be concerned about the style of football we'd play if we signed him.

It's a fair point, though I have to say, I thought he was excellent in the second-half of the Cup Final and remember thinking the dippers would've won had they played him from the start...

It's a fair point, though I have to say, I thought he was excellent in the second-half of the Cup Final and remember thinking the dippers would've won had they played him from the start...

He's a nightmare for centre halves when he's on form, but I don't wanna see us smash the ball up to him like we did with Crouch too often for my liking.

Llorente v Adebayor?

One big difference is we know Ade wants to join us, with a few conditions. Is there any indication that Llorente is even interested?

Another factor is all transfers have an element of risk. We know we we can be effective with Adebayor. Of course, he could improve elements of his game, but there is no concrete reason to think Llorente would do better.

If we can work out the deal, Adebayor is a safe bet or as safe as your can get in the transfer market

Llorente v Adebayor?

One big difference is we know Ade wants to join us, with a few conditions. Is there any indication that Llorente is even interested?

Another factor is all transfers have an element of risk. We know we we can be effective with Adebayor. Of course, he could improve elements of his game, but there is no concrete reason to think Llorente would do better.

If we can work out the deal, Adebayor is a safe bet or as safe as your can get in the transfer market

True, but Adebayor's work rate/effort whatever you wanna call it have been questioned at the various clubs he's played for at times. He definitely wasn't as effective for Arsenal once he got a better contract.

Southend United 0-6 Tottenham Hotspur XI

Tottenham named an experimental side for their visit to Roots Hall to face Southend, with the majority of the first team having been in Spain for Thursday’s defeat to Valencia. On this viewing, however, Andre Villas-Boas may be tempted to hand some of his young stars a first-team berth this season as they eased to a superb 6-0 victory, with Harry Kane netting a hat-trick.

Souleymane Coulibaly set Spurs on their way after a mazy run from Andros Townsend, whose cross was rifled home by the Ivorian. Shortly before the break, a smooth counter-attack saw Kane notch his first of the night, slotting home the rebound after Tom Carroll’s shot had been well blocked.

Carroll returned the favour on 66 minutes as he fed Kane with a delightful through ball, leaving the youngster to finish with aplomb as he chipped the ball over the onrushing Daniel Bentley.

Townsend then added a fourth a minute later as his 20-yard drive took a lucky deflection off Sean Clohessy and nestled into the corner of the net, before the midfielder turned provided once more for Kane’s third of the night, slotting the ball through the defence to allow the 19-year-old to sidefoot confidently into the bottom corner.

And Townsend and Kane capped off a fine evening by combining for Spurs’ sixth, with Kane nodding his team-mate’s header back across goal for Jonathan Obika to nod home from point-blank range.

...food for thought...

I think ade is an unbelieveable talent - when he's in the mood, he can score against anyone and for fun. But he's a very sensitive chappy, can sulk big time - him and drogba are v similar in my eyes, deffo big game players.

It's how u handle him when he throws a strop.

Damiao, Llorente - if we had a chance it'd be done by now imo. Maybe sale of modders n waiting for funds is what levy wants first.

I think ade is an unbelieveable talent - when he's in the mood, he can score against anyone and for fun. But he's a very sensitive chappy, can sulk big time - him and drogba are v similar in my eyes, deffo big game players.

It's how u handle him when he throws a strop.

Damiao, Llorente - if we had a chance it'd be done by now imo. Maybe sale of modders n waiting for funds is what levy wants first.

Nah, Drogba is the ultimate big game player. I think he's scored every time he's played at Wembley, plus he always seems to score in finals. Ade has gone missing in a few big games not only for us, but for the scum and Emirates Marketing Project too.

Nah, Drogba is the ultimate big game player. I think he's scored every time he's played at Wembley, plus he always seems to score in finals. Ade has gone missing in a few big games not only for us, but for the scum and Emirates Marketing Project too.

While I think Ade did great things for us, Drogba in form/prime is a different level player than Ade.

While I think Ade did great things for us, Drogba in form/prime is a different level player than Ade.

Drogba was a beast, the most powerful striker I can remember seeing. If it wasn't for his cynical side, he'd be one of my all time greats.

If that happens GHod help us. Cannot believe that though, surely there is more to this AVB appointment than what has actually happened. If this is the case should have kept Harry, sure he was in the press a lot but least could leave him to get the most out of poor windows. Kane starts regularly and we will be lucky to get top8. By contrast look at the Toon frontline we are facing next week...with a high-line AVB seems wedded to (shudders). Note: i dont think this will happen, but it does reflect some unease with how this pre-season has gone.

Back