• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

From who we've been linked with I'd like Adebayor and Damiao but Huntelaar is a decent option. Can't see us getting Llorente if it's true that Emirates Marketing Project and Barca are interested and I haven't heard Remy's name mentioned for a while.

Were not going to get Llorente sadly, although I'd love it if he came to Spurs!

Not sold on Remy tbh. Can't even get ahead of Giroud in the pecking order of France.

Damiao probably won't happen either.

I'd rather take a punt on someone like Huntelaar. Adebayor still has too many days where he's utter dogbrick. I know all footballers have bad days, but his are especially bad!

I can't believe we've let it get this far without bringing a striker in!

Barcelona will go head-to-head with Tottenham and Emirates Marketing Project to sign Athletic Bilbao forward Fernando Llorente.
Llorente, who has one year left on his existing deal, stunned Athletic Bilbao earlier this week when he revealed that he would not be extending his contract at the Basque club.
Tottenham and Juventus have since registered their interest in Llorente, but with the Spain international available on a free next summer both are reluctant to offer more than £15.8m - £12.6m short of his release clause fee.
However, according to Spanish newspaper El Economista, Barcelona are prepared to wait for Llorente to see out his final year at Athletic and then snap him up on a free transfer next summer.
New coach Tito Vilanova is keen to sign a ‘classic’ centre-forward, and believes Llorente, who has previously expressed his admiration for the Catalan side, will give his team an extra dimension.
Emirates Marketing Project boss Roberto Mancini is still in the market for a new striker this summer and could consider making an offer for Llorente, who he has monitored for the past year, while new Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is desperate for a new attacker, given that Jermain Defoe is only the recognised forward in his squad.

So we're going head-to-head with City, Barca and Juve ... hmmm I don't fancy our chances for some reason.

Not sold on Remy tbh. Can't even get ahead of Giroud in the pecking order of France.

I'd rather take a punt on someone like Huntelaar. Adebayor still has too many days where he's utter dogbrick. I know all footballers have bad days, but his are especially bad!

Agreed.

There will be plenty of days where you'll barely notice that Huntelaar is playing though.

We are constantly linked alongside City for Llorente, but I thought his wages demands ruled us out?

If we could buy Huntelaar for £10m I would take this risk. Yes, he does have anonymous games, but I would say a lot of strikers do, but he certainly can bag goals

Really don't rate him. Llorente mind you...

Agree. Huntelaar is poor. Very slow and no alround game. It's an insult to Falcao to mention them in the same breadth - if anything Huntelaar is a taller but sluggish version of Defoe. He flopped in both Spain and Italy, and like Defoe always ends up being derided by his own fans because of how frustrating he is.

I don't think Llorente is any better than Ade, and he'd cost an awful lot more (in both fees and wages).

Personally I still can't see beyond Ade and Leandro as our two best options (and we need both of them).

Agree. Huntelaar is poor. Very slow and no alround game. It's an insult to Falcao to mention them in the same breadth - if anything Huntelaar is a taller but sluggish version of Defoe. He flopped in both Spain and Italy, and like Defoe always ends up being derided by his own fans because of how frustrating he is.

I don't think Llorente is any better than Ade, and he'd cost an awful lot more (in both fees and wages).

Personally I still can't see beyond Ade and Leandro as our two best options (and we need both of them).

Have you seen Adebayor's wages? Llorente is better than him IMO. His goal tally is only marginally better than Llorente's but's Llorente's overall play is better. Other than pace, he's got pretty much everything! Strong, great feet, skill, good in the air, intelligence.

Have you seen Adebayor's wages? Llorente is better than him IMO. His goal tally is only marginally better than Llorente's but's Llorente's overall play is better. Other than pace, he's got pretty much everything! Strong, great feet, skill, good in the air, intelligence.

Llorente's overall play certainly is not better than Ade's.

It is in my view. Like I said, their goal tallies are very similar, Llorente is better in the air, he's strong, better on the ball and his passing is superior.

Passing superior and better on the ball? nah not at all but guess we see things differently. Better header of the ball and better finisher he is but Ade has far more in his locker.

I think Ade is a great forward. I think people forget two things last season.

1) He played a few games carrying a nagging injury because there was no other option.
2) He had three perfectly good (and I mean 2 or 3 yards onside) goals disallowed. Those cost us points and him an extra 3 goals on his tally.

I think we will make this happen next week if AVB's other target(s) remain in the "shifting goalposts" territory, and I believe he will absolutely flourish having someone like Sigurdsson in the side, as well as The Hudd.

I think Llorente's a 'sexy' option because he's spanish, but for me, Ade is a superior player in all areas AND he knows the club/players/squad. It will, in the end, cost us around 25 mill if we include wages, but I think it will be well worth it.

Carroll...I didn't want him before he went to Liverpool, thought he was a big taco, but towards the end of last season i saw a proper target man develop, and if he were available for a decent fee, I'd have him AS A TANDEM/ROTATION STRIKER...he holds the ball up well, is not afraid to shoot early and is an absolute nuisance. I think we could do far, far worse. I don't love him, but when I look around at who's available versus who's actually done something versus who'd bed in quickly, there aren't many options. Put it this way; I think Liverpool are mad to sign Borini and dump Carroll.

Of course Damiao would be nice, but given how late it is, Olympics or not he would be a gamble, and bedding in time would be a good 3 to 4 months IMHO. I also think if we were to have him, we'd have got him by now. He might be out of our league at this point.

No, given the fact we are NOT in the CL, I would actually settle for Ade and Carroll...

1) He played a few games carrying a nagging injury because there was no other option.
2) He had three perfectly good (and I mean 2 or 3 yards onside) goals disallowed. Those cost us points and him an extra 3 goals on his tally.

I think we will make this happen next week if AVB's other target(s) remain in the "shifting goalposts" territory, and I believe he will absolutely flourish having someone like Sigurdsson in the side, as well as The Hudd.

I think Llorente's a 'sexy' option because he's spanish, but for me, Ade is a superior player in all areas AND he knows the club/players/squad. It will, in the end, cost us around 25 mill if we include wages, but I think it will be well worth it.

Carroll...I didn't want him before he went to Liverpool, thought he was a big taco, but towards the end of last season i saw a proper target man develop, and if he were available for a decent fee, I'd have him AS A TANDEM/ROTATION STRIKER...he holds the ball up well, is not afraid to shoot early and is an absolute nuisance. I think we could do far, far worse. I don't love him, but when I look around at who's available versus who's actually done something versus who'd bed in quickly, there aren't many options. Put it this way; I think Liverpool are mad to sign Borini and dump Carroll.

Of course Damiao would be nice, but given how late it is, Olympics or not he would be a gamble, and bedding in time would be a good 3 to 4 months IMHO. I also think if we were to have him, we'd have got him by now. He might be out of our league at this point.

No, given the fact we are NOT in the CL, I would actually settle for Ade and Carroll...

I think he is a good forward, arguably a very good forward, but not a great forward.

There's no doubting that on his day he's unplayable, but how many of those days does he have? Not enough given his talent.

I always assumed that he was a good finisher considering his goal record at Arsenal, but his finishing was poor last season in a lot of games. I take your point about the goals wrongly disallowed.

Llorente has proven himself in La Liga, which is one of the top 2 leagues in the world. He was a real handful in the Europa League last season and bullied Man United. When given the chance for Spain, he's done very well. I've explained why I believe he's better than Adebayor. I wouldn't be completely unhappy with Ade, but I'd prefer Llorente.

P.s. I hope your joking about Carroll

Llorente wage demands are in the same bracket as Ade's, but we won't get City to subsidise Llorente's.

Agree with KD - Ade's alround/link-up contribution and mobility top Llorente's heading and shooting superiority.

To me Carroll doesn't offer anything additional to that which Ade would, nor would he complement him if we ever wanted to play 2 up. Leandro however is a far more clinical finisher and could play alongside Ade, as well as an alternative lone forward.

Back