• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So with the RvP transfer complete are we now gonna see A***nal swoop into the transfer market and sign Damiao/Llorente... :evil:

Wenger confirmed Giroud and Podolski were recruited to offset RVP's departure - intersting since Podolski signed way prior to the Dutchman releasing his statement. Unless of course both of them knew or he's simply using Lucas as a convinient excuse.

Closer to home - assuming Levy knew Modric would scratch for an exit if we didn't make CL football - is Sigurdsson his replacement, because in my opinion they're noting alike. Do we even have a Modric replacement in line or jad one at any point during this transfer clusterfudge of a window? Unless of course some believe AVB's system does not need 'a' Modric - something which is nearly impossible to accept since

- he wanted to sign him last year for his Chelsea system
- a class player can improve any football side
- you often build your team around the strongest units

So many questions, so many unknowns

I think it's pretty obvious that Moutinho has been the preferred replacement all along. AVB as good as admitted it a month ago.

Thought Moutinho's buy-out is supposed to be 30m euro, so £23m?

That sounds a fair price to me. If we make at least £10m profit out of the Modric-Moutinho switch to direct towards forwards, then all will be good.

No! It's €40m which is £31m. This "converting the converted" fees seems to be a real problem lately.

Yeah.

Gylfi+Sigurdsson+%28right%29+and+Jan+Vertonghen+with+Tottenham+manager+Andre+Villas+Boas

The question is - was Wenger already aware at the time of Podolski's fiirst rumours (April / May) that RVP won't sign an extension

I would have thought he would be well aware of the situation on the contract negotiations and RVPs position (or at least inclination).

Podolski could work alongside RVP as well, so it was, I expect a bit of "just in case" and a bit "do it anyway"

I've settled with we're not buying anyone for another two weeks. Can't wait till deadline day and the ultra rapid crazy links that'll be popping out from nowhere! Bring your popcorn, ladies.

The question is - was Wenger already aware at the time of Podolski's fiirst rumours (April / May) that RVP won't sign an extension

He might still have hoped that RVP would stay.

But he would also have been well aware that RVP had only one year left on his contract and that he had, thus far, refused to sign a new one.

So it would probably have made sense to prepare for the worst - especially since Podolski can play wide and since Chamakh was likely to leave (at least on loan).

I think it's pretty obvious that Moutinho has been the preferred replacement all along. AVB as good as admitted it a month ago.

Even if we assume that is indeed the case (fair call)

- how long do you think it would have taken us to enquire with FC Porto and find out if we can afford him or not
- prepare a shortlist with a few options should the above be deemed 'unachievable'

Of course point 1 could have been (and still is hopefully!) a long process of negotiations but I suppose at some point one needs to be reasonable and understand/accept a 30m rated player will not be sold for 18-20m so wasting 2.5 months of the transfer window attempting to achieve that is bizarre to say the least. They have a great history of extracting top dollar for their players and can't see them doing us any favours. Not to mention lack of CL football on his part.

I'm not suggesting that is to be the case but now that Modric is as good as gone and we don't bring in Moutinho - is it fair to say he was never 'achievable'. And if so - where are the other options for that position and better yet - what the fudge has been hapenning all this time? (I'm not asking you directly - simple trying to justify /in my mind/ some the recent events)

Last edited:
Even if we assume that is indeed the case (fair call)

- how long do you think it would have taken us to enquire with FC Porto and find out if we can afford him or not
- prepare a shortlist with a few options should the above be deemed 'unachievable'

Of course point 1 could have been (and still is hopefully!) a long process of negotiations but I suppose at some point one needs to be reasonable and understand/accept a 30m rated player will not be sold for 18-20m so wasting 2.5 months of the transfer window attempting to achieve that is bizarre to say the least. They have a great history of extracting top dollar for their players and can't see them doing us any favours. Not to mention lack of CL football on his part.

I'm not suggesting that is to be the case but now that Modric is as good as gone and we don't bring in Moutinho - is it fair to say he was never 'achievable'. And if so - where are the other options for that position and better yet - what the fudge has been hapenning all this time? (I'm not asking you directly - simple trying to justify /in my mind/ some the recent events)

The whole thing appears to have been very complex, with three immovable objects - Pinto da Costa, Fiorentino Perez and Daniel Levy - waiting for each other to back down.

From Spurs' perspective, clearly they couldn't agree a Modric price with Madrid until they had agreed a Moutinho price with Porto. And vice versa. And since, it seems, Madrid were refusing to offer anything like what we wanted for Modric, we were unable to offer anything like what Porto wanted for Moutinho.

In such cases, progress is inevitably painfully slow.

As to alternatives, who knows? There have been whispers about Dembele and M'Vila. But neither is really a Modric replacement. It's hard to think of a player who truly would be. Moutinho is probably as close as it gets.

Back