• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Other than Aguero, none of those players really interest me so far as our TEAM...Damiao is overrated IMHO, Llorente unproven in the perm and not worth the gamble (now, Falcao, sure!), Remy is not the finisher we need (would rather get the Adebayor deal done), Lloris not especially vital, and Rossi just doesn't really fit...Thomas Muller would be worth the money, obviously Falcao, if AVB really really wanted Moutinho in Modric's absence, then fine, in he comes...I think it's important not to spend money on "names" unless they absolutely work.

Steff there is no such thing as a signing unless 'they absolutely work' no signing is 100% just like recruiting an employee, you can never guarantee a risk free transfer.

What you can do is mitigate that risk by doing your prep work your homework on the player and assessing the gap in the squad. This gap we have had has been a gap for over a year and a half to two years.

I guess im contradicting myself here with how frustrated I have been in not getting in anyone I suppose its the pessimistic side of everyone including me.

and Rednapps signings were in the main short term with limited or no onward sale gain potential - Keane, Gallas, Saha, Nelsen, Parker, Chimbo, Crouch, Defoe, Pallacious, Pienaar, Ade (loan). A totally unsustainable long term model.

I've seen plenty of people butcher his name but that's a new one :D

We overpaid for him, so no potential gain from a sale, and he wouldn't have stayed in the team much longer even without what happened off the pitch.

I thought he was becoming quite a good player when it happened, and it set him back a lot.

But each to his own i guess.

I thought he was becoming quite a good player when it happened, and it set him back a lot.

But each to his own i guess.

His playing style suits certain types of teams. I feel we moved on from what he could bring. And he was limited going forward.

Other than Aguero, none of those players really interest me so far as our TEAM...Damiao is overrated IMHO, Llorente unproven in the perm and not worth the gamble (now, Falcao, sure!), Remy is not the finisher we need (would rather get the Adebayor deal done), Lloris not especially vital, and Rossi just doesn't really fit...Thomas Muller would be worth the money, obviously Falcao, if AVB really really wanted Moutinho in Modric's absence, then fine, in he comes...I think it's important not to spend money on "names" unless they absolutely work.

One could argue that every player coming to this league for the first time is unproven in this league? And how the heck can you guarantee that a signing will "absolutely work"?

Last edited:
One could argue that every player coming to this league for the first time is unproven in this league? And how the heck can you guarantee that a signing will "absolutely work"?

Just to add. If nobody ever signed player who aren't proven in the prem, we would relatively quickly run out of players.

Premiership proven are more expensive, so if we can i'd rather we look elsewhere.

Buying within the PL, you usually know what you're getting, but there's less value for money and few players come with to potential to become much better.

Just to add. If nobody ever signed player who aren't proven in the prem, we would relatively quickly run out of players.

Premiership proven are more expensive, so if we can i'd rather we look elsewhere.

Our best signings havent been Prem proven - Berbs, Modric, Bale, VDV

Ian Dennis ‏@Iandennisbbc
@jonny_moffett Spurs were represented at the warm up match and again tonight. Him (leandro) or Hulk

Not a fan of Hulk tbh. He's too greedy and wasteful, first touch a bit erratic. Although a wing forward would be nice, we seem to be in rather greater need of a real striker atm if it's true Ade isn't coming.

I'd actually be happier with a shorter than longer deal for Ade - he's getting on in age so I don't even want him to be here for more than one or two more seasons, and even if we had him on a long contract (= higher transfer price) he'd still be hard to sell on because of his wages. We could use him as a stopgap to allow a younger striker to develop, since we can't buy any top-notch proven ones atm.

From someone on FTL

In a thread about Chelsea: "I hate them so much for what they have done to us trumping us for every striker/(player) we have gone for for the past two years! And stealing our champions league place. But boy are they going to regret dumping Andre...I cannot say more but it looks like he has persuaded one of his old-boys to come in, and we will be in great shape when this goes through..."

SC seems to think he gets good info, doesn't post much but he's been on there for years. Anyway, SC have decided it's Falcao or Hulk.

Is Ade excluded from that ?

Not a fan of Hulk tbh. He's too greedy and wasteful, first touch a bit erratic. Although a wing forward would be nice, we seem to be in rather greater need of a real striker atm if it's true Ade isn't coming.

I'd actually be happier with a shorter than longer deal for Ade - he's getting on in age so I don't even want him to be here for more than one or two more seasons, and even if we had him on a long contract (= higher transfer price) he'd still be hard to sell on because of his wages. We could use him as a stopgap to allow a younger striker to develop, since we can't buy any top-notch proven ones atm.

Me too, would much rather see the likes of Livermore, Jenas, Carroll etc bomb forward and scare the hell out of defences.

Adebayor may have done a good job for us last season but now he just comes across as an extremely greedy fukker, I am happy to see us move on to someone else

I think he wears the perm pretty well and to say he is unproven in it is a tad bit harsh tbh.

Back