• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can certainly believe this. Even in the papers, I remember seeing us in the top two in terms of agent fees last season - and I was shocked because we had barely bought anyone! However under Harry we were doing deals for freebies or near-freebies like Gallas and Pienaar and I would assume signing-on fees and agent fees would be relatively high in those cases, to make up for the lower/non-existent transfer fees.

Deals are done as a package where transfer fees are only one part of it. Older players tend to be on higher wages, especially the likes of Gallas/VDV etc who have been around the big boys of Europe.

Take Scott Parker. His transfer fee was, what £8? Doesn't sound too much, but according to most sources his wages were astronomical at West Ham and he actually had to take a pay-cut to come to Spurs. Just shows what a tight ship we run compared to other clubs. Parker is probably on one of our top salary packages, he signed a 4 year deal if I remember correctly (i'm just doing all of this off the top of my head so don't bite my head off if i'm wrong), say he's on £60k a week, that's £12m over 4 years and add signing on and agent fees and you're looking at a £25m-£30m commitment for the club.

Before Redknapp joined we tended to seemingly splash the cash a bit more, we paid higher transfer fees for young players, but their wages weren't as high so the deals put in place were probably about the same as those for Pienaar, Crouch, Parker etc.

You sign someone like Helder Postiga, he's 21 and he's on his first pro contract with his home-town club. He costs a bit upfront (about £10m all in all) but his wages won't be high and if he doesn't work out (which he didn't) he's still young enough that someone will take a punt on the potential again and in the end we sent him back to Porto for £5m plus Pedro Mendes which probably equated to getting our money back.

I think levy wants to go back to this kind of deal, which is why Redknapp got the bullet (this isn't ITK, it's just a guess based on some minor info that i do know, plus press speculation, ITK rumours and reported transfer dealings in the press).

If so then avb's first year or two is going to be a transition year where we ship out older more expensive players and bring in fresh blood, to bring down the total player financial commitment.

Having said that, the image that levy as a financial whizz kid vetoeing player purchases as red knapp made him out to be goes out the window. Shouldn't player contracts be scrutinized by an expert legal and finance team to avoid such surprises?

From someone on FTL

In a thread about Chelsea: "I hate them so much for what they have done to us trumping us for every striker/(player) we have gone for for the past two years! And stealing our champions league place. But boy are they going to regret dumping Andre...I cannot say more but it looks like he has persuaded one of his old-boys to come in, and we will be in great shape when this goes through..."

SC seems to think he gets good info, doesn't post much but he's been on there for years. Anyway, SC have decided it's Falcao or Hulk.

From someone on FTL

In a thread about Chelsea: "I hate them so much for what they have done to us trumping us for every striker/(player) we have gone for for the past two years! And stealing our champions league place. But boy are they going to regret dumping Andre...I cannot say more but it looks like he has persuaded one of his old-boys to come in, and we will be in great shape when this goes through..."

SC seems to think he gets good info, doesn't post much but he's been on there for years. Anyway, SC have decided it's Falcao or Hulk.

Nice bit of Info.

I think it's far far more likely to be Moutinho then it is to be Hulk/Falcao though, out of his 'old boys'.

From someone on FTL

I've been waiting for this good brick all day. I don't care if it's true or not. I'll believe for tonight.

(Ps. I hope its Falcao)

From someone on FTL

Blah, blah and fudging blah. ITK's have been mostly full of brick this summer and I expect this to be more of the same

Nice bit of Info.

I think it's far far more likely to be Moutinho then it is to be Hulk/Falcao though, out of his 'old boys'.

I dont.

I think it could be someone else. only because Moutinho will be brought in only if Modric is sold. We havent sold him yet and im sure in that specific rumour or ITK there would have been mention of that.

Now you can all toss again

Deals are done as a package where transfer fees are only one part of it. Older players tend to be on higher wages, especially the likes of Gallas/VDV etc who have been around the big boys of Europe.

Take Scott Parker. His transfer fee was, what £8? Doesn't sound too much, but according to most sources his wages were astronomical at West Ham and he actually had to take a pay-cut to come to Spurs. Just shows what a tight ship we run compared to other clubs. Parker is probably on one of our top salary packages, he signed a 4 year deal if I remember correctly (i'm just doing all of this off the top of my head so don't bite my head off if i'm wrong), say he's on £60k a week, that's £12m over 4 years and add signing on and agent fees and you're looking at a £25m-£30m commitment for the club.

Before Redknapp joined we tended to seemingly splash the cash a bit more, we paid higher transfer fees for young players, but their wages weren't as high so the deals put in place were probably about the same as those for Pienaar, Crouch, Parker etc.

You sign someone like Helder Postiga, he's 21 and he's on his first pro contract with his home-town club. He costs a bit upfront (about £10m all in all) but his wages won't be high and if he doesn't work out (which he didn't) he's still young enough that someone will take a punt on the potential again and in the end we sent him back to Porto for £5m plus Pedro Mendes which probably equated to getting our money back.

I think levy wants to go back to this kind of deal, which is why Redknapp got the bullet (this isn't ITK, it's just a guess based on some minor info that i do know, plus press speculation, ITK rumours and reported transfer dealings in the press).

Excellent post and pretty accurate...

so if we have been short of money in recent transfer windows, we should have, and now definitely need to, adjust our sights regarding targets.

forget about Hazard, about Aguero, about Lloris, Rossi, Llorente, Remy, Damiao etc....just like with Vertonghen, Sigurdsson, we need concentrate to sub 10 mill signings and find the best bargains possible

Other than Aguero, none of those players really interest me so far as our TEAM...Damiao is overrated IMHO, Llorente unproven in the perm and not worth the gamble (now, Falcao, sure!), Remy is not the finisher we need (would rather get the Adebayor deal done), Lloris not especially vital, and Rossi just doesn't really fit...Thomas Muller would be worth the money, obviously Falcao, if AVB really really wanted Moutinho in Modric's absence, then fine, in he comes...I think it's important not to spend money on "names" unless they absolutely work.

Excellent post and pretty accurate...

and Rednapps signings were in the main short term with limited or no onward sale gain potential - Keane, Gallas, Saha, Nelsen, Parker, Chimbo, Crouch, Defoe, Pallacious, Pienaar, Ade (loan). A totally unsustainable long term model.

But what we desperately need NOW is two quality strikers whether Modric goes or not. Without a decent strike force we will be mid table mediocrity. That is why it is urgent and why Levy needs to act now. Two weeks to go to the start of the season is no time for his customary brinkmanship - it could leave us in the same position as the season when Berbs and Keano left. Right up sh!t street.

Last edited:
and Rednapps signings were in the main short term with limited or no onward sale gain potential - Keane, Gallas, Saha, Nelsen, Parker, Chimbo, Crouch, Defoe, Pallacious, Pienaar, Ade (loan). A totally unsustainable long term model.

Was like 25 (?) When we signed him, he doesn't really belong in that list.

Regarding Ade

He also only wants a two-year contract at White Hart Lane, so he can try to make even more money by moving on again in 2014.

Anyone here believe this?

If true, Levy and AVB should have walked away from the deal long ago

Back