• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the idea of us backtracking is 'not nice'...if that's the best way to put it. I know Levy is ruthless but he seems to proper not give a brick in pursuit of getting the best deal for the club. Fair play to him I guess.

On the other hand, I don't see why City can say 'the two options were...' and then list those two, like they have failed to consider Levy might try and force them to give us a lower fee and pay Ade off themselves.

But something has to give here. Someone has to give something up. I'd love to know how negotiations in football are finally settled. It seems the only thing that moves something along is time. When suddenly one club thinks 'brick, they really aren't going to budge, sod it let's just do it ourselves'. But City know that we need a striker, and no amount of leaking that we have bid for X, Y or Z is going to change that. Defoe has gone home. We only have Kane. We need someone. Levy said he has learnt from the Berbatov situation, where he went all out for the best price but left us with nothing upfront. We can't be left with nothing again.

To be honest though I'm shocked we haven't been linked in a serious way with anyone other than Ade. I thought that may change with AVB as manager.

I think the idea of us backtracking is 'not nice'...if that's the best way to put it. I know Levy is ruthless but he seems to proper not give a brick in pursuit of getting the best deal for the club. Fair play to him I guess.

On the other hand, I don't see why City can say 'the two options were...' and then list those two, like they have failed to consider Levy might try and force them to give us a lower fee and pay Ade off themselves.

But something has to give here. Someone has to give something up. I'd love to know how negotiations in football are finally settled. It seems the only thing that moves something along is time. When suddenly one club thinks 'brick, they really aren't going to budge, sod it let's just do it ourselves'. But City know that we need a striker, and no amount of leaking that we have bid for X, Y or Z is going to change that. Defoe has gone home. We only have Kane. We need someone. Levy said he has learnt from the Berbatov situation, where he went all out for the best price but left us with nothing upfront. We can't be left with nothing again.

To be honest though I'm shocked we haven't been linked in a serious way with anyone other than Ade. I thought that may change with AVB as manager.

Outgoing and current Managers often get the flak, but as has been pointed out so many times before the trend has been there for years. Managers come and go, and the trend remains. Long drawn out deals or last minute deals.

I said a few months ago that we didn't have any money and that I genuinely think we made large bids of unobtainable players because we knew they'd get rejected or the player would have no interest in joining us. I believe these bids were made to appease the fans and the Manager at the time, but were never serious.

We are run as a prudently as a football club can be. And unfortunately that means until the rich boys get bored with their Monopoly brand of football we have very little chance of being serious title contenders, regardless of the Manager.

Ditto

If I were Emirates Marketing Project I would tell Spurs to fudge off

Why the fudge are we behaving as if has to be Adebayor or bust.

Emirates Marketing Project can afford to let this roll on until 31st August, we can't, the season starts in 3 weeks

Ditto

If I were Emirates Marketing Project I would tell Spurs to fudge off

Why the fudge are we behaving as if has to be Adebayor or bust.

Emirates Marketing Project can afford to let this roll on until 31st August, we can't, the season starts in 3 weeks

To a point, but they have books to balance too. If Adebayor is still there on Sept 1st then they have a player who won't play for them and only depreciate in value; in short, it's going to be harder and harder for them to get closer to satisfying the FFP requirements. Every penny helps! There are very few clubs who could buy him, as that means paying high wages, and even fewer when you take away the clubs City will see as genuine rivals and also the clubs Adebayor would not want to join.

So in a lot of ways it's a buyers market with Adebayor for us. The QPR rumours only show how there isn't an alternative for City to do business with.

To a point, but they have books to balance too. If Adebayor is still there on Sept 1st then they have a player who won't play for them and only depreciate in value; in short, it's going to be harder and harder for them to get closer to satisfying the FFP requirements. Every penny helps! There are very few clubs who could buy him, as that means paying high wages, and even fewer when you take away the clubs City will see as genuine rivals and also the clubs Adebayor would not want to join.

So in a lot of ways it's a buyers market with Adebayor for us. The QPR rumours only show how there isn't an alternative for City to do business with.

Emirates Marketing Project can afford to pay him as they have shed loads of money. And yes you will mention FFP but I do not see UEFA laying sanctions down to PSG and when you consider the money they have spent over the last 12 months coupled with the fact they are still ready to pay £40m for Modric I think people are making a mistake if people think they are going to get done by FFP

Teams like PSG and Emirates Marketing Project with all their money will find some way with their top lawyers and accountants will find away to avoid FFP sanctions. Money talks

Outgoing and current Managers often get the flak, but as has been pointed out so many times before the trend has been there for years. Managers come and go, and the trend remains. Long drawn out deals or last minute deals.

I said a few months ago that we didn't have any money and that I genuinely think we made large bids of unobtainable players because we knew they'd get rejected or the player would have no interest in joining us. I believe these bids were made to appease the fans and the Manager at the time, but were never serious.

We are run as a prudently as a football club can be. And unfortunately that means until the rich boys get bored with their Monopoly brand of football we have very little chance of being serious title contenders, regardless of the Manager.

i agree.

why should we change when the basis for our revenue remains unchanged? CL was necessary for any significant change in financials. plus we have that huge stadium investment coming up. i'm not surprised we continue to spend gingerly. i only expect to see things change with the increased capacity from the stadium and/or champions league participation.

Sun says Modric gone 36m, no quotes though

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...agree-36m-fee-for-Spurs-star-Luka-Modric.html

From PAUL JIGGINS in Baltimore

Published: 29 minutes ago

TOTTENHAM last night agreed a £36million fee with Real Madrid for Luka Modric.

The Croatia midfielder had already said he would join Jose Mourinho’s side but was waiting for the clubs to reach a deal.

He almost ruined his chances of a move by refusing to go on Spurs’ pre-season tour.

But Real officials persuaded him to apologise and return.

Madrid were reluctant to meet Spurs’ valuation but Mourinho wanted Modric as soon as possible.

The deal will bring an end to a saga which began when the 26-year-old demanded a move to Chelsea a year ago.

Spurs refused but accepted he would move on this summer

£36m is acceptable, but we're not going to get Moutinho for anything under £30m, so we still have to demand Sahin even if it's only on loan. I'd rather not make do with a 15m Joe Allen since Tom Carroll is a similar player imo, just a year or two behind in development.

Beginning to get very worried about this transfer window, and it started off so well. Im staggered to think about our striking situation. Harry Kane is currently the only striker we have that can play first team football in preseason, and he's not close to being good enough even for 3rd choice. Defoe coming back will help, but he ain't right for this system. So we actually need 3 strikers. And it seems as though we are after 1... And that's seemed to have gone a bit brick...

We also don't have good enough cover on the wings, which is has been a problem for years and was a massive factor in us bottling 3rd.

Our modric replacement (mouthino) is also looking unlikely, with no other name really in th hat. Oh, except joe Allen... Really? To replace modric?

Obviously stuff is happening behind the scenes and I keep telling myself AVB will ave it sorted. But levy is utterly irritating in these windows with his haggling and bartering, and waiting until thievery end to get the best deal etc. I really hope ade signs this week, that's the pressing matter, at least then we have a decent starting 11, then we sort the squad out when they get back from us. Just fear were going to have the same problems we eh as for years

Beginning to get very worried about this transfer window, and it started off so well. Im staggered to think about our striking situation. Harry Kane is currently the only striker we have that can play first team football in preseason, and he's not close to being good enough even for 3rd choice. Defoe coming back will help, but he ain't right for this system. So we actually need 3 strikers. And it seems as though we are after 1... And that's seemed to have gone a bit brick...

We also don't have good enough cover on the wings, which is has been a problem for years and was a massive factor in us bottling 3rd.

Our modric replacement (mouthino) is also looking unlikely, with no other name really in th hat. Oh, except joe Allen... Really? To replace modric?

Obviously stuff is happening behind the scenes and I keep telling myself AVB will ave it sorted. But levy is utterly irritating in these windows with his haggling and bartering, and waiting until thievery end to get the best deal etc. I really hope ade signs this week, that's the pressing matter, at least then we have a decent starting 11, then we sort the squad out when they get back from us. Just fear were going to have the same problems we eh as for years

it remains to be seen, but it makes sense to understand how much (and who) we can get modric for before splashing the cash. should we be buying top players and paying them premium when we are not in champions league? or should we be buying players with potential and rewarding them richly when they make champions league? hard one to figure considering that we did qualify being 4th but got pipped out because a lower placed club won it.

If 36m POUNDS is true then thats great business imo.

Also, its quite possible that if Sahin cannot get the perminent move he wants then there's no reason why a loan move to us wouldn't appeal to him.

EDIT: I'll amend to that by saying that I know Sahin has said he wants to stay at RM but if Jose is open about not wanting him he still may change his mind.

Last edited:
Very worried that we're putting too many eggs in the Ade basket and City are stringing us along knowing we need a striker more than they need rid of him.

I don't understand how we're supposed to get this amazing deal for him, when surely if the deal was that good, many other clubs would be in for him too. It will benefit City the longer this is drawn out.

I would say put a deadline on it to expire very shortly and move on if the deal's not done. Don't trust City one bit, I'm sure they'd prefer us to start the season with a Defoe/Kane forward line than do us any favours in getting the Ade deal over the line.

Liverpool are going to offload Aquilani to Fiorentina for £7 million, while Rodgers is hoping to sign Allen for £9 million.

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Robin van Persie is demanding the same wages as Wayne Rooney, thought to be around £220,000 per week, before he agrees to join Manchester United.

Full story: Sunday Express

Rivals Emirates Marketing Project are not prepared to match that, however, and are thought to have limited their offer to £150,000 per week.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Saudi Sportswashing Machine could be back as favourites to sign Liverpool striker Andy Carroll after the 23-year-old revealed he would only leave Anfield to play European football.

Full story: talkSPORT

But Saudi Sportswashing Machine will only move for their former striker if the £7m escape clause is triggered in the contract of Demba Ba, 27.

Full story: Sunday Mirror
Santi Cazorla

Santi Cazorla was part of the Spain squad who won the European Championships

Southampton are thought to have enquired about bringing Arsenal's Theo Walcott back to St Mary's.

Full story: Mirror

Meanwhile the Gunners expect to complete the £15m transfer of Malaga midfielder Santi Cazorla, 27, by Tuesday.

Full story: Daily Mail

Emirates Marketing Project manager Roberto Mancini believes the Premier League champions will be announcing new signings within the next fortnight.

Full story: Manchester Evening News

West Brom boss Steve Clarke has confirmed that striker Shane Long, 25, is not for sale after reported interest from Reading.

Full story: Birmingham Mail

Fulham are ready to make a bid for Arsenal's Russian international Andrey Arshavin, 31, who is believed to want to remain in London.

Full story: The Metro
Emmanuel Adebayor

Emmanuel Adebayor scored 18 goals on loan at Spurs last season

The agent who orchestrated the move to take striker Emmanuel Adebayor from Arsenal to Emirates Marketing Project believes the 28-year-old is "unlikely" to move to Tottenham.

Full story: talkSPORT
OTHER GOSSIP

Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes reveals he would have returned for England in the European Championships but he never received a phone call from manager Roy Hodgson.

Full story: Daily Mail

Meanwhile Scholes admits he can't watch Vincent Kompany lifting the Premier League trophy for Emirates Marketing Project and does not understand how United did not win the title.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas is furious with Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam after he injured Gareth Bale again during the goalless friendly in America.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wheelchair is unlikely to return to first-team action until October at the earliest as he continues his lengthy recuperation from knee and ankle problems.

Full story: The Sun

Former Spurs skipper Ledley King admits he cried when he learned his career was over because of injury, and reveals he had injury problems since his first game for Spurs at Derby in 1999.

Full story: The Sun
AND FINALLY

Arsenal's Thomas Vermaelen got up close and personal with assistant referee Sian Massey during his side's 2-0 friendly loss to Emirates Marketing Project in Beijing.

Full story: The Metro

What about his £15m release clause

One of the papers says Allen has 2 clauses. The first is for the 'big five' (ie, not us), allowing him to leave for 15m. The 2nd is for anyone else, allowing him to leave for 10m. Seems odd. The 5 is Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Back