• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe its the perception that "doing it in Portugal" doesnt mean a player "can do it in the big league"

Why did only Everton go for Jelavic? And do you suppose if we tried to poach him now we could offer the £5m Everton paid?

Madrid paid big money for Falcao (iirc) and took a chance, much like the sort of move we need to make to get higher quality players, and he was sensational for them.

NOW he is proven in LaLiga, and the top (and richest) clubs around will be interested should he come onto the market.

there are quite a few examples of big clubs buying directly from Portuguese clubs.....Man U paid 20 mill for Anderson from Porto, Nani was 18 mill from Sporting, Chelsea paid 25 mill for Luiz

even now, the likes of Barca, Real, Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea are not heavily linked with him. Imo its because there are doubts about his style of play. He is a poacher of the old school kind and these types of striker are not considered as good enough for the top teams

He went from South America to Portugal, people waited to see how he did. I do think there is a lingering "but its only Portugal" aspect - just look at all the comment on AVB.

The players brought previously were precoious youbng talents, big clubs can afford to spend like that to geta potential bargain (Ronaldo - £18m-£80m!)

Falcao obviously wasnt enough of a certainty for the big clubs to splash out on him. He is now, and I bet when his time at AM comes up there will be huge demand for him.

There are probably countless examples to prove it as well.

fudge generalisation. Just go on a player by player analysis.

If we go on a player by player analysis - Falcao should have signed for a G14 regular CL competing outfit last season but didn't - therefore a club of our stature should stand half a chance should he be available. Atletico are largerly comparable to us in La Liga stature along with Valencia CF

Can he play as more of a wide forward? Flanking Adebayor (assuming he comes in) on the right?

That was his primary position at Depor and he's done that at Atletico too. Only problem with that is he looks far more dangerous playing centrally. He has similarities to an in form Torres when he plays centrally so not sure how he'd do playing that RWF role for us.

Regrading Falcao, awesome player but Atletico on the whole made a monumental fudge up signing him. Signing him has crippled them financially (yes i know it's the Aguero money but they were already in a very bad state when they had Aguero). It's actually set them back a few years as now they can't afford to sign Diego permanently, they sold their rising star CB to Monchengladbach, their star players are constantly being linked away from the club whilst they bring in jokers like Emre.

If we go on a player by player analysis - Falcao should have signed for a G14 regular CL competing outfit last season but didn't - therefore a club of our stature should stand half a chance should he be available. Atletico are largerly comparable to us in La Liga stature along with Valencia CF

I meant for whether or not they had the 'attributes' to make it in the big league.

Honestly? I think he'd fit in well, if we had the money to purchase him he would probably be alright to come here, but should we ever bid it'd probably start an auction that we could never win. :(

Absolute myth - countless examples in the last decade to disprove that

Just as there are countless examples of big players in small leagues only getting moves to mid sized clubs in bigger leagues before the biggest clubs are interested?

Its not a myth. Its a valid point. There are plenty of cases where people/clubs want to see a player (or manager) tested in a bigger league/situation before moving for them.

Thats not saying Falcao is a poor player. Thats not saying Portugal is a poor league, just that it isnt as good as the bigger divisions.

Just as there are countless examples of big players in small leagues only getting moves to mid sized clubs in bigger leagues before the biggest clubs are interested?

Its not a myth. Its a valid point. There are plenty of cases where people/clubs want to see a player (or manager) tested in a bigger league/situation before moving for them.

Thats not saying Falcao is a poor player. Thats not saying Portugal is a poor league, just that it isnt as good as the bigger divisions.

He scored 72 goals in 2 seasons for Porto including 22 (in 24 games) in Europe. I've seen strikers on half of that getting massive moves to bigger clubs.

In addition - I'm sure scouts and their clubs alike judge potential targets on a little more than their League of choice alone but looking at key player attributes such as movement, pace, finishing, awarness, strength, technique, etc. - all these ingridients can be spotted against any opposition and only developed further and nurtured in a better team - i.e. you either 'have it' or not. Else - we'd never sign players from South America or Africa because their leagues are 'lower' and uproven :lol:

Only a fool woldn't have been aware of Falcao after his first 2 seasons yet he opted for a non CL competing (and a non CL regular, mind you) outfit so in therory one cannot dismiss our possibility as a destination, especially with the AVB factor in place

Im all in favour of taking it on a case by case basis, absolutely.

I just think its often the case if someone isnt sure, they want to see the candidate tested further before making a decision.

He scored 72 goals in 2 seasons for Porto including 22 (in 24 games) in Europe. I've seen strikers on half of that getting massive moves to bigger clubs.

In addition - I'm sure scouts and their clubs alike judge potential targets on a little more than their League of choice alone but looking at key player attributes such as movement, pace, finishing, awarness, strength, technique, etc. - all these ingridients can be spotted against any opposition and only developed further and nurtured in a better team - i.e. you either 'have it' or not. Else - we'd never sign players from South America or Africa because their leagues are 'lower' and uproven :lol:

Only a fool woldn't have been aware of Falcao after his first 2 seasons yet he opted for a non CL competing (and a non CL regular, mind you) outfit so in therory one cannot dismiss our possibility as a destination, especially with the AVB factor in place

I know exactly how good I THOUGHT HE WAS. None of us can vouch for the big clubs though can we?

I am a huge advocate of quality scouting and having faith in their judgement of a player. Doesnt mean everybody does though does it?

When making a £20m+ investment, perhaps more "proof" is required for some?

In theroy one cannot dismiss our possibility? Think about that. Logically this guy is on a career path. He has moved to Portugal, to La Liga, he is clearly good enough for the biggest clubs, what makes you think
a) He would want to move sideways to Spurs? or,
b) We could out bid much more desirable competition?

The only way we are likely get him is if we are the only club going in and AM push him out (for the money?). Of course thats not impossible, but what do you suppose the chances are?

He went from South America to Portugal, people waited to see how he did. I do think there is a lingering "but its only Portugal" aspect - just look at all the comment on AVB.

The players brought previously were precoious youbng talents, big clubs can afford to spend like that to geta potential bargain (Ronaldo - £18m-£80m!)

Falcao obviously wasnt enough of a certainty for the big clubs to splash out on him. He is now, and I bet when his time at AM comes up there will be huge demand for him.

where?? seriously, i ask you where he could go. Real, well no because of the rivalry and because Mourinho prefers the more versatile forward like Benzema in comparison to a pure finisher like Higuian. Same at Barca where Villa has been marginalised and Barca prefer a more technical type of forward.

At Man Utd Hernadez, poacher again, is not first choice, its Rooney and Wellbeck. At City Mancini has Aguero and Tevez and he likes a big man alongside them if possible like Balotelli and Dzeko. Chelsea is a possibility but what will they do with Torres. Arsenal wouldnt spend that much money on him

The top Italian clubs couldnt afford him

Its similar in a way with Defoe....always been recognised as a very good finisher, but the top English clubs have never been totally convinced he could fit into their modern styles of play. I feel its the same with Falcao but on a more global scale.

put it this way, if it came down to a choice between Falcao and Cavani for the top clubs to choose from, i know who they would be banging down all the doors possible in order to get his signature. Cavani is the type of all round forward that the top clubs want.

IIRC Ramos tried to buy Falcao for us direct from South America for £2m.

Anyone seen much of Adrian? Hasn't he been playing left inside forward (i.e. left of a front 3) for AM?

where?? seriously, i ask you where he could go. Real, well no because of the rivalry and because Mourinho prefers the more versatile forward like Benzema in comparison to a pure finisher like Higuian. Same at Barca where Villa has been marginalised and Barca prefer a more technical type of forward.

At Man Utd Hernadez, poacher again, is not first choice, its Rooney and Wellbeck. At City Mancini has Aguero and Tevez and he likes a big man alongside them if possible like Balotelli and Dzeko. Chelsea is a possibility but what will they do with Torres. Arsenal wouldnt spend that much money on him

The top Italian clubs couldnt afford him

Its similar in a way with Defoe....always been recognised as a very good finisher, but the top English clubs have never been totally convinced he could fit into their modern styles of play. I feel its the same with Falcao but on a more global scale.

put it this way, if it came down to a choice between Falcao and Cavani for the top clubs to choose from, i know who they would be banging down all the doors possible in order to get his signature. Cavani is the type of all round forward that the top clubs want.

Chelsea. Milan are rumoured to be selling Ibrahimovic and will have money and be in the market for a striker. Malaga, PSG etc of course.

Atletico Madrid paid between 40-50m Euro based on reports and performance clauses - so they wouldn't settle for anything less than that even if the wheels were coming off proper - i.e. similar to Silva, Mata, Villa at Valenica couple of years ago - they still managed to squeeze top dollar during their wholesale as much as reports were suggesting a financial meltdown.

Back