• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like I said, if we can do it then fine - but if its at the cost of other areas then no bloody way.

Friedel has done nothing wrong, and has given no sign he is failing, there is no good reason to think he wont perform next season.

Appart from people fussing about his age, which I would have thought he put to bed last season

Agree with this. His performances last season suggest he easily has another year left in him and I would've thought we had other priorities.

How exactly is Brad incompatible with AVBs system? What does he do so fundamentally wrong that he couldnt work?

Perhaps his distribution could let him down, his (in)ability to pass the ball on the ground 'to feet' within a 15-20 yard perimeter, and general 'reluctance' to leave his line

EDIT

Just to add - I'm not suggesting Brad is terrible at all those things - just a hypothetical argument as to what AVB might be looking at since you asked

Last edited:
Oh come on, you have a reasonable argument, and then you play the old trick "lloris has a sexy sounding name so everyone wants him", this is a cheap tactic to undermine people's opinions.

Personally, I think lloris is a quality keeper and very excited about his arrival. However much I like friedel, but we need to look to the future. We need two quality keepers if we're going to challenge on all fronts. Sell Gomes and move Cudicini as number 3 and use both keepers. Simple.

I thought ekotto had a good season but think he can be improved upon too. Just because players are good, why dismiss the idea of going even better?

Friedel could go on for another 2 or 3 years at the top....the guy is a freak (in the nicest possible way)

Lloris is talented, but i don think right now he is better than Friedel. Would Lloris accept coming in as Friedel's number two for a year??i doubt it, but thats what id offer him, give him a chance to work with Parks and get used to English football with all the crosses and the physical nature of the game over here

I think the point is that keepers like Lloris don't come along every day and even though he might be surplus to requirements this season (which is debatable) he won't be next season. I think this is an astute purchase if it goes through. It also means that Lloris is not thrown into the PL immediately and has a season, with Brad around, to acclimatise.

"Sweeper keeper" is a myth ffs. It's simply a case of a manager telling the GK "OK push forward and don't always stay on your line" or sometimes the GK doing it on his own accord. It's not as important to the overall team tactics as people like to make out.

Let me ask you something, when Gomes continuously kept coming off his line at every opportunity were we playing this "sweeper keeper" system?

Sweeper keeper is not a myth, imv.

It's not purely about rushing out of goal at every opportunity - comes down to his ability to play the ball quickly and accuretly amongst his back 4 or as part of a triangle and be able to keep possession under pressure and distribute with precision. The rest of course comes down to a good reading of the game and coming out to intercept opponents' passes, etc.

Last edited:
I was under the impression a "sweeper keeper" was someone who can read the game and is quick enough off the line to beat the ST to a 50 / 50 over the top ball? I may be wrong but if that's the case Brad? hmmm

So a goalkeeper then?

How exactly is Brad incompatible with AVBs system? What does he do so fundamentally wrong that he couldnt work?

Same reason a lot of managers didn't consider Vorm a viable option to be their keeper but Rodgers did. In playing systems even keepers need to be suited.

I don't know exactly why Brad wouldn't be suited, because I don't know exactly what AVB is looking for, but at a guess I would say it is someone capable of being quick off his line, and not just someone 'capable' of being quick, but someone that has it ingrained in a natural part of their game, so that they aren't indecisive. I mean, we could tell Brad to start coming off his line more, but it's asking him to change something he's been doing in a 25 year playing career. Far better to have someone used to doing it. Someone that knows when to judge the situation, when to go and when to stay.

It's also probably important that the goalkeeper we get is good with the ball at their feet, so they are another cog in the possession game. Again, I'm sure Brad is pretty comfortable himself, but maybe he's never really been asked to partake in it like a Valdes or a Vorm. If he's getting closed down by an on-rushing striker is Brad going to pick one of our players out with a pass under pressure or is he more inclined to kick it long?

If AVB decided Brad could do those things, I'm sure we'd be happy to get another year out of him and there would be no problems. But maybem Lloris is more suited. 'Sweeper Keeper' is no more of a myth than 'Holding Midfielder'. In every single part of the pitch there can be certain qualities that would be good for certain systems. It would be like me saying there is nothing really to golf, that any intracacies there are just myths because it's so simple, and keeping goal is simple too. But it isn't like that.

Oh come on, you have a reasonable argument, and then you play the old trick "lloris has a sexy sounding name so everyone wants him", this is a cheap tactic to undermine people's opinions.

Personally, I think lloris is a quality keeper and very excited about his arrival. However much I like friedel, but we need to look to the future. We need two quality keepers if we're going to challenge on all fronts. Sell Gomes and move Cudicini as number 3 and use both keepers. Simple.

I thought ekotto had a good season but think he can be improved upon too. Just because players are good, why dismiss the idea of going even better?

Not playing any tricks - its precisely the way it looks. The idea of Lloris has people so excited they are creating a pressing NEED for him, IMO, where one doesnt immediately exist.

Like I said, Im not against the idea - Ive no issue improving the side - but not at the cost of more important areas. And £15m, to a club like us, MUST impact on that.

I'm just bored with people thinking we could sell players X, Y and Z for 20 million and we'd automatically have that exact amount to spend. Transfer fees are amortised over 5 years in the accounts, there's no precise amount that we can or cannot spend in one window. And of course agent fees, bonuses, sign on fees etc.

Well yeah they are amortised.

But knowing how much money we'd have coming in over the next x years would allow us to know how much it was feasible to spend over the same x years. If the transfers out are amortised. So are the transfers in.

"Sweeper keeper" is a myth ffs. It's simply a case of a manager telling the GK "OK push forward and don't always stay on your line" or sometimes the GK doing it on his own accord. It's not as important to the overall team tactics as people like to make out.

Let me ask you something, when Gomes continuously kept coming off his line at every opportunity were we playing this "sweeper keeper" system?

It's a myth?

So no goalkeepers are better at coming off their line than others?

Sweeper keeper is not a myth, imv.

It's not purely about rushing out of goal at every opportunity - comes down to his ability to play the ball quickly and accuretly amongst his back 4 or as part of a triangle and be able to keep possession under pressure and distribute with precision. The rest of course comes down to a good reading of the game and coming out to intercept opponents' passes, etc.

this =D>

Using space and angles to limit an attacker's run on goal, and having good foot skills are hardly anything revolutionary. The role of goalkeeper has evolved such that if you don't have the foot skills to a decent standard your of no use, no matter if all your other goalkeeping attributes are sound.

This was Bosnich's problem at Man U (aside from the coke addiction and neo nazism). He couldn't distribute the ball to save himself.

I personally think given the right support, he'd do a fine job with us. No need to waste money on Lloris.

Using space and angles to limit an attacker's run on goal, and having good foot skills are hardly anything revolutionary. The role of goalkeeper has evolved such that if you don't have the foot skills to a decent standard your of no use, no matter if all your other goalkeeping attributes are sound.

This was Bosnich's problem at Man U (aside from the coke addiction and neo nazism). He couldn't distribute the ball to save himself.

Brian McDermott has flatly denied rumours linking Reading with a move for Jermain Defoe.

Royals have already added Pavel Pogrebnyak and Garath McCleary to their attack along with midfielder Danny Guthrie and left-back Nicky Shorey.

And McDermott told the Reading Post he was not lining up a bid for Tottenham Hotspur and England striker Defoe - despite reports of a bid of around £10million being prepared.

When asked if he was interested in the 29-year-old McDermott replied: "No."

And when quizzed as to whether Reading had contacted the north Londoners over Defoe's availability McDermott added: "I don't know to be honest with you. Nick (Hammond) might have spoken to Daniel Levy, he speaks to him quite regularly."

Ignore that first post, I thought I'd written something about Gomes, hence that last paragraph but must have just thought it instead.

It's a myth?

So no goalkeepers are better at coming off their line than others?

My feeling to this question is best summed up by your avator.

Of course some keepers are better coming off their line which basically confirming what i'm getting at. i'm questioning the "sweeper keeper" position itself not the attributes of the individual GK.

My feeling to this question is best summed up by your avator.

Of course some keepers are better coming off their line which basically confirming what i'm getting at. i'm questioning the "sweeper keeper" position itself not the attributes of the individual GK.

Your feeling are summed up by 'Buddy Christ'?

I have no idea what that actually means.

Back