• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is not comletely necessary RIGHT NOW.

While RIGHT NOW we are trying to undertake what appears to be a pretty major rebuilding of the team.

We have finite resources.

Im not saying we shouldnt get a keeper. Im saying we probably have bigger fish to fry AT THIS TIME.

Especially when Lloris is looking like £15m, a sizeable chunk of any budget, and Friedel looks just fine.

While RIGHT NOW we are trying to undertake what appears to be a pretty major rebuilding of the team.

Im not saying we shouldnt get a keeper. Im saying we probably have bigger fish to fry AT THIS TIME.

Especially when Lloris is looking like £15m, a sizeable chunk of any budget, and Friedel looks just fine.

Which includes a goalkeeper, essential to the style of play the manager wants to play.

AT THIS TIME!! yeah sure, it's part of the same project. You have no idea how much money is in the coffers, neither do i. Presuming though, as a club they do, and if they are after a goalie at this price it's because they can afford it AT THIS TIME.

Or we have had a bit of money saved up due to pretty much beaking even since the first window Harry was here (in terms of transfers) im sure we could have a transfer window where we have a net outlay of 20 mil or so without putting outselves in financial ruin

I'm just bored with people thinking we could sell players X, Y and Z for 20 million and we'd automatically have that exact amount to spend. Transfer fees are amortised over 5 years in the accounts, there's no precise amount that we can or cannot spend in one window. And of course agent fees, bonuses, sign on fees etc.

Agreed.

Short sighted. It is a priority because next year when his contract is expiring and retirement talk is around he'll be 42, Cudicini will be 39 and Gomes will still be gathering dust.

So teams see Spurs have a need for 2 goalies and rape us on the fee. Meanwhile Lloris has moved somewhere else, Krul is in yr2 of a new 5yr deal (would cost the earth) and ter Stegen has moved to Barcelona.

Unlike this year where Lloris is available, ter Stegen is available but unlikely to move. Replace when you aren't desperate to.

Plus with a high line defence, Brad who stays on his line is likely to be caught out while Lloris is far more likely to stay on the edge of his box and be able to react.

Its not short sighted at all. It simple budgeting. How much money do you suppose we have?

If we can afford the LB, CB, ST, ST, RW, AM.... that we need AND a GK the fantastic - Im delighted - but we arent City and we arent Chelsea, so what do you suppose are the chances?

Therefore its priorities. Who is more important to bring into the side that finished the season?

Vertonghen or Lloris?
Sigurdsson or Lloris?
Adebayor or Lloris?
A backup striker or Lloris?
Back up/strengthening to the wings or Lloris?

You see where it is going?

And honestly I dont buy the whole "prices ramped up" thing. Players cost what players cost basically regardless. The only time Ive seen that change is when the likes of City and Chelsea come knocking and teams know they can add the ogliarch tax.

Every year there are deals, there are to expensive, there are end of contracts, middle of contracts...

Which includes a goalkeeper, essential to the style of play the manager wants to play.

AT THIS TIME!! yeah sure, it's part of the same project. You have no idea how much money is in the coffers, neither do i. Presuming though, as a club they do, and if they are after a goalie at this price it's because they can afford it AT THIS TIME.

Ive already said, if it is affordable then great - but it just isnt a priority. And £15m is a huge chunk of money (both our signings to date combined!)

Friedel is a fine goalkeeper. He might not be ideal for what AVB wants, but ultimately he could do the job for the season.

His distribution isnt great? Fine - restrict him to rolling it out to the defenders and we can manage.

This.

Real Madrid were last night preparing to test Emirates Marketing Project's resolve to keep David Silva with a £35million bid for the Spain star.

Silva had indicated he was ready to sign a new five-year deal worth £52million to extend his stay at the Etihad.

But Madrid chief Jose Mourinho is convinced Silva's commitment to City is wavering.

A Madrid source revealed: "Jose has convinced the club that Silva is the man they need to bring "the 10th".

"More importantly, he now believes that David has changed his mind and decided he will not renew his contract at City. That is why the bid will go in."

(...)

Mourinho, who feels arch rivals Barcelona will tread La Liga water under new Camp Nou rival Tito Vilanova, has got the green light to make his move.

The Real boss will clear the decks for his move by offloading Brazilian Kaka, with the Bernebeu bosses sanctioning a likely £25m return to AC Milan which will mean Madrid making a staggering £30m loss on the one-time world's most expensive player.

If Madrid's hunch is right it will have repercussions for Tottenham, who were expecting to sell Luka Modric to Real after chairman Daniel Levy refused to sell to a Premier League rival.

It now appears the Croatian has become the standby option should Real's move for Silva not go any further.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/david-silva-real-madrid-bid-1139154

Try to put pressure on Levy or really interested?

At the end of the day the management team should know whats best for the club. Most of us agree we need to strengthen upfront and get replacements on the wings but AVB may have seen something in training and the likes of Townsend could be seen as an ideal replacement for Bale / Lennon. If we are only playing with 1 up top we only need 2 ST who will battle for that spot and a youngster to come in if needed. So that cuts the transfers right down which means we then have some funds to splash on a very good young keeper.

If only it was that simple aye?

Yes you are right, I remember all those games where old man Brad was unable to dive, that time he broke his hip fielding a goal kick and the other time the ball trickled past him at a snails pace but he couldnt see it... ](*,)

I know Friedel is coming to the end of his career, but there were NO SIGNS AT ALL last season that he would not be fit to perform this season.

Yes, it can be annoying that he stays rooted to his line, but otherwise he was excellent last season. For the coming season this is not a priority

I'd take it one further than that - it can cost us actual goals. Although he did well overall, I gave him 7/10 for the season

Besides that - a goalkeeper is very much a priority right now for us, imv - quite apart from the fact Lloris might double his price in 12 months time and essentially render our budget 'laughable'. He's the French captain and at 25 a top, top keeper who could serve us for the next decade with ease. If he's even remotely possible (financially) and willing to come we should be biting their arm of for the reported 10-15m which would be an absolute steal at this price.

Add to this finding someone who fits into the new manager's tactical formation and general style of play. (sweeper keeper such as Vorm at Swansea for example)

Even if Brad is still doing well - one injury and we're fudged, not to mention at his age any potential lay-off could take twice as long to recover compared to a 24 year old.

A keeper is a must this summer along with a striker and a possible replacement for Modric

For me a keeper is a priority. Freidel is past 40 and, whilst he might be decent this season, you really dont know when he will hit the cliff that older players reach and whether this season will be the season when age catches up with him. We cant afford to be in a situation when, come August or shortly after the season starts, we realise that BF might not be as reliable as before - its not important a position to takes risks. If that means having 2 first choice keepers (ie BF and LLoris) for this season before BF retires next summer then so be it

People always seem to think the grass is always greener on the other side. Brad was excellent last season so you reward a man doing an excellent job with a wage rise maybe or at the very least the promise that you'll retain his services and give him reasurances that he'll again be first choice due to his excellent performances. You don't replace him especially when you have bigger priorities in other positions.

Give him 1 more season to see out his contract and then buy a starting GK.

Like I said, if we can do it then fine - but if its at the cost of other areas then no bloody way.

Friedel has done nothing wrong, and has given no sign he is failing, there is no good reason to think he wont perform next season.

Appart from people fussing about his age, which I would have thought he put to bed last season

With Brad, it's more important to have keepers, and players in general that play the way the manager wants to play. I think these decisions needs to be made, because trying to soldier on with players that don't fit the manager's style out of loyalty or accepting our lot just holds us back. Brad would be great back up but for a first choice we need someone that suits AVB's style, probably someone that isn't shy about coming off his line - if we are playing with a higher line then we can't have that massive gap in the middle between them.

Same reason Rodgers is letting Carroll go, same reason the stories about VDV haven't been killed and he will probably go. It's more important to have players that fit the mould that is required.

We can sit here and bitch all day about keeping or replacing Brad but we seem to be going in for Lloris so we just have to trust AVB / Levy. We obviously have the money to strengthen most of the squad.

Also if we get Lloris in that will mean the end of Gomes and who's to say that we will not get a good fee for him that makes the Lloris transfer look a bit better?

"Sweeper keeper" is a myth ffs. It's simply a case of a manager telling the GK "OK push forward and don't always stay on your line" or sometimes the GK doing it on his own accord. It's not as important to the overall team tactics as people like to make out.

Let me ask you something, when Gomes continuously kept coming off his line at every opportunity were we playing this "sweeper keeper" system?

"Sweeper keeper" is a myth ffs. It's simply a case of a manager telling the GK "OK push forward and don't always stay on your line" or sometimes the GK doing it on his own accord. It's not as important to the overall team tactics as people like to make out.

Let me ask you something, when Gomes continuously kept coming off his line at every opportunity were we playing this "sweeper keeper" system?

I was under the impression a "sweeper keeper" was someone who can read the game and is quick enough off the line to beat the ST to a 50 / 50 over the top ball? I may be wrong but if that's the case Brad? hmmm

Im not bitching at all. I am absolutely confused as to how/why everyone says its such a priority.

I understand BF wont go on forever, and that it would be nice to replace him - but an absolute cast iron priority? Not for me.

It seems to be based on two things.

Brad is old.
Lloris is a sexy sounding aqcuisition and therefore must have.

I would be very happy with Lloris, Im not against the idea - just so long as it doesnt cost us in more pressing areas

Back