• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem with BAE is that if he tries his tricks we could get caught out defensively if we are playing a high defensive line.

Not at all!

You say high defensive line, but I'm guessing you're talking about when we have the ball since BAE is doing tricks on the ball. Most teams (including us under Harry) play with a high defensive line when they have the ball, nothing special there. The high defensive line under AVB will come from us pressing high up the pitch when we don't have the ball, and thus the ball isn't there at the time for BAE to do any tricks with.

The problem we might encounter with some players is when we try to build from the back when under some (or a lot of) pressure. That's also what at times hurt Chelsea, with Terry slipping against Arsenal for example. Ekotto is actually one of the best players we have at this, he regularly gets way more passes and received passes per game than anyone in our side bar Modric (and sometimes VdV) for this reason, when we were building from the back under Redknapp under any kind of even light pressure BAE was the only defender that wanted the ball. Walker's stray passes, Kaboul's inconsistencies, the slip ups Sandro has on the ball etc are a much bigger concern. Not too mention the distribution from our keepers. Hopefully though we can bring in Vertonghen who is great on the ball and it won't be a problem as well as a new goalie like Lloris for example.

We'll still concede once or twice from errors on the ball from players that are great on the ball, like BAE, Vertonghen or Caulker and I'm sure someone will blame that player, or a high defensive line or whatever. Actually it will be part of a calculated gamble where some errors will inveitably happen, but the value in keeping possession and building from the back outweigh that cost.

Not at all!

You say high defensive line, but I'm guessing you're talking about when we have the ball since BAE is doing tricks on the ball. Most teams (including us under Harry) play with a high defensive line when they have the ball, nothing special there. The high defensive line under AVB will come from us pressing high up the pitch when we don't have the ball, and thus the ball isn't there at the time for BAE to do any tricks with.

The problem we might encounter with some players is when we try to build from the back when under some (or a lot of) pressure. That's also what at times hurt Chelsea, with Terry slipping against Arsenal for example. Ekotto is actually one of the best players we have at this, he regularly gets way more passes and received passes per game than anyone in our side bar Modric (and sometimes VdV) for this reason, when we were building from the back under Redknapp under any kind of even light pressure BAE was the only defender that wanted the ball. Walker's stray passes, Kaboul's inconsistencies, the slip ups Sandro has on the ball etc are a much bigger concern. Not too mention the distribution from our keepers. Hopefully though we can bring in Vertonghen who is great on the ball and it won't be a problem as well as a new goalie like Lloris for example.

We'll still concede once or twice from errors on the ball from players that are great on the ball, like BAE, Vertonghen or Caulker and I'm sure someone will blame that player, or a high defensive line or whatever. Actually it will be part of a calculated gamble where some errors will inveitably happen, but the value in keeping possession and building from the back outweigh that cost.

Sounds much like Swansea last season. They were brave enough to play out from the back because that's what Rodgers demanded of them. If it occasionally cost them, it was a price that Rodgers was prepared to pay.

If we play in a similar fashion under AVB, it might mean early promotion to the first team for Steven Caulker, since he already has a season of this pattern of play under his belt.

Southcote, I said other than goals what was he like and then you said he was capable of scoring 10-15 goals? I like the idea of having a goal scoring midfielder who is a danger against deep defending sides but..

How is his passing? His dribbling? His work rate? His defending? How does he fit in with his team mates? Does he always make himself available for a pass? How is his technical game?

Those are the kind of questions that I have in my head. I want to know more about his all round game rather than just the goals.

Here's a nice read up on his play at Swansea, answering some of your questions: http://footballfollower.com/football-blog/gylfi-sigurdsson-potent-weapon-swansea/

He's a really good passer of the ball and has very good ball technique, albeit not in the Ronaldo region but good enough to complete his dribbles. I saw him play on the wing a few years back when Iceland U-21 thrashed Germany's U-21 and he looked fine. He's got decent strength to hold off defenders, which compensates for his lack of pace, although he's surprisingly quick IMO. His defensive skills are basically that of an attacking midfielder, but his work rate makes up for that. It's impossible to say how he's around team-mates, but the little I know of him is that he's a great lad with a real passion for the game. I think he'll fit right in.

Sounds much like Swansea last season. They were brave enough to play out from the back because that's what Rodgers demanded of them. If it occasionally cost them, it was a price that Rodgers was prepared to pay.

If we play in a similar fashion under AVB, it might mean early promotion to the first team for Steven Caulker, since he already has a season of this pattern of play under his belt.

Yes. And that's what AVB demanded from his players at Chelsea and they only did alright, I'm guessing he will demand the same from our players. That to me means we need more players like BAE, Vertonghen, Caulker, Lloris, perhaps a return of Huddlestone and everyone else like Walker, Kaboul and Sandro need to step up their passing or they will see little game time imo. No room for a passenger in that kind of style.

I'm just pleased that there's no question we WILL be buying this summer. We've got ourselves in the position where we MUST strengthen at the exact time when a new manager has come in who is very clear about what type/style of players he likes to implement into his style of play.

Now go remind Falcao about how good he felt winning the EL please boss. ;)

I wonder if we're looking at Sig and Oscar because VDV doesn't quite fit AVB's style. He's not exactly the most tactically disciplined, and it appears that he'll need to be with AVB.

I would loathe to see him go, but if it's for the good of the squad...

Who: Ali Z
When: 3rd July
Where: SC

Ali Z on COYS regarding Adebayor:

From what I hear not in AVB plans.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...Andre-Villas-Boas-can-spend-big-at-Spurs.html

£100MILLION

AVB can spend big at Spurs

Exclusive

By PAUL SMITH

Published: 03rd July 2012

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS will be given a £100million war chest as he begins his Tottenham revolution.

The ex-Chelsea boss was offically appointed Spurs’ new head coach yesterday on a three-year contract — as revealed by The Sun.

AVB will get a transfer kitty of around £40m — with a guarantee that he can also spend every penny he recoups from player sales.

With midfielder Luka Modric set for a move to either Manchester United or Real Madrid — and striker Jermain Defoe also a target for several clubs — the pot could easily hit £100m... and beyond.

On top of that, AVB has been guranteed a bonus scheme that could net him a further £3m above his annual £4m-a-year salary.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has taken a monumental gamble on Villas-Boas after firing Harry Redknapp last month.

But he believes the Portuguese boss — who won the Europa League with Porto — will be able to lead the White Hart Lane club to glory too.

AVB, 34, sacked just eight months into a three-year contract at Stamford Bridge, is kissing goodbye to £11m still owed to him by Chelsea so that he can get back into the Premier League.

He is determined to prove the Blues were wrong to dump him and he has assured Levy that it will take just four or five new players to get Spurs challenging for the title.

He is expected to open his spending by securing the signings of Ajax’s Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen, 25, and Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, 22, who impressed on loan at Swansea last term. He also wants to secure a powerful striker and could compete with Chelsea for the signature of Hulk, whom he managed at Porto.

Under his bonus scheme, Villas-Boas will earn £500,000 for securing a Champions League place but that would rise to around £1.5m if he won the title.

Cup success would bring in an extra £1.5m.

Villas-Boas will lead Tottenham into action against Chelsea on October 20 at White Hart Lane and return to Stamford Bridge on April 13 next year.

Duncan Castles @DuncanCastles

Along with Daniel Sousa and Jose Mario Rocha, Villas-Boas will also appoint a new assistant coach.

More interesting line is that #THFC contract agreed mid-June. Villas-Boas, Levy & Sherwood been working on transfer strategy since then.

Tottenham in the market for at least one new goalkeeper. Understand they are considering bid for France number 1 Hugo Lloris

Also expect Sigurdsson & Vertonghen to join Tottenham; Modric & Van der Vaart to leave. Villas-Boas to push for Moutinho purchase.

TRANSFER GOSSIP

AC Milan are interested in signing Liverpool striker Andy Carroll. Pier Silvio Berlusconi, the son of Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi, has been acting as a transfer consultant for the Italian club and has identified Carroll as a potential signing.

Full story: the Sun

Everton are keen on signing Oscar Cardozo after Benfica put a £16m price tag on the striker. Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, PSG and an unnamed Premier League side are also tracking the Paraguayan, 29.

Full story: talkSPORT

Tottenham are ready to back new manager Andre Villas-Boas in the transfer market to the tune of £50m this summer. The Portuguese is keen to bring Marseille striker Loic Remy, Ajax and Belgium defender Jan Vertonghen, Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, CSKA Moscow and Russia midfielder Alan Dzagoev and Birmingham keeper Jack Butland to White Hart Lane.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Villas-Boas wants to launch his reign as Tottenham manager by signing Brazilian attacking midfielder Oscar from Internacional. The 20-year-old is priced in the £20m bracket by his club.
Andre Villas-Boas

Villas-Boas could be set for a big summer spending spree with Spurs

Full story: The Sun

Sunderland, Stoke and Fulham are all interested in Wolves' Steven Fletcher, but the Midlands club have warned any suitor will have to pay £10m to sign the striker.

Everton boss David Moyes is considering making a move for out-of-contract former Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega, 26.

Full story: Daily Mail

Italian side Napoli are looking to push ahead with a move for Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles after seeking talks with the player's agent.

Full story: talkSPORT

Chelsea are closing in on a £6m deal for Inter Milan full-back Maicon, 30, with the Brazilian's agent due in London later this week for talks.

Full story: Metro

Manchester United and Chelsea are set to be in a tug of war for Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel this summer, after Benfica revealed that they are ready to cash-in on his talents.

Full story: Daily Express

Malaga and Galatasary want Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner as the Denmark international closes in on a move away from the Emirates Stadium. Bendtner's agent Jesper Lynghus told Denmark newspaper bold.dk last month: "The interest is overwhelming, just as it should be after the way Nicklas performed at Euro 2012."

Asamoah Gyan will finally leave Sunderland in a £7m move to United Arab Emirates side Al-Ain.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert wants to sign Rennes' £2.5m-rated midfielder Yacine Brahmi, 22.

OTHER GOSSIP

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has broken his silence over the future of captain Robin van Persie by vowing to keep the striker "at all costs". The two men are expected to talk over the phone this week as Van Persie continues to stall on a new three-year deal worth £130,000-per-week.
Robin van Persie (left) and Arsene Wenger (right)

Van Persie and Wenger are expected to discuss the striker's future next week

The Arsenal boss has also turned down the opportunity to coach the French national team following Laurent Blanc's resignation.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Manager Brendan Rodgers is optimistic about persuading Luis Suarez to sign an extended deal with Liverpool despite rumours over the striker's future. Rodgers has insisted Suarez, whose contract expires in 2016, is happy at Anfield despite speculation the 25-year-old could be moving to Serie A champions Juventus.

Incoming manager Gianfranco Zola could face a player backlash at Watford following the the sacking of Sean Dyche.

AND FINALLY...

Former Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka has been involved in an ugly confrontation with an irate Shanghai Shenhua fan, who questioned the Frenchman's poor performance and refusal to perform a traditional end-of-match bow.

From Mjolnir at ynwa re. Sigurdsson:

"Sorry, been quite bissy - getting worke off to leave for my vacation.

Its all done and dusted. Spurs player, to be presented prop next week but confirmed later this week. There was no second offer from LFC, there was no Hilton Hotel, there was no deadline given by THFC, there was no cancelation from Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas.

You would have thought that i´ved stop believing in players who look beyond the paycheck after Chelsea and City came about. Well, at least now i do.

But i cant put it all on the player. LFC offer was too low imho - i can understand they wont be held ransome but they wouldnt give him better deal than he got from Swansea, which i find kind of odd since they practically stole him from them and he was (according to him), Brandons target no. # 1.

Have a feeling we will be regreting this decision in a year or two. Hope im wrong "

Incoming manager Gianfranco Zola could face a player backlash at Watford following the the sacking of Sean Dyche.

Oooh, player revolt.

Oooh, player revolt.

Im waiting for the Express version..

John Barnes is the main player in the dressing room causing it id expect

Liking the links to Butland. Think he could be the future for us, been banging on about us getting him for a few weeks now

TOTTENHAM must cough up £16million by July 15 if they want to land France captain Hugo Lloris.

The North London club announced Andre Villas-Boas as their boss yesterday and have been linked with the Lyon keeper who will be allowed to leave this summer.

But Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas insists any team wanting 25-year-old Lloris must splash the cash before his deadline.

Lloris was previously a target for Arsenal and Aulas said: "I have deep respect for Hugo — the man and the player.

"Hugo said he would like to leave if he had an opportunity to play in one of the five biggest European clubs.

"We talked before, during and after Euro 2012. We are perfectly in tune on the subject.

"If any of these clubs made a proposal to the value of £16m, it will have a good outcome.

"If this is not the case before July 15, he will stay at Lyon for the season.

"For now, I have not received any proposal or Arsenal, or any others for that matter."

Aulas could replace Lloris with his Lyon understudy Remy Vercoutre, 32.

He added: "We must first look at what we have at home before looking elsewhere. This is certainly the president's vision.

"In the case of replacement of Hugo, Remy must express the values that I mentioned and skills.

"Sport skills are not enough. These values other than sports, are very important."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4409938/Hugo-Lloris-transfer-will-cost-Tottenham-16m.html

Lloris was previously a target for Arsenal and Aulas said: "I have deep respect for Hugo — the man and the player.

"Hugo said he would like to leave if he had an opportunity to play in one of the five biggest European clubs.

"We talked before, during and after Euro 2012. We are perfectly in tune on the subject.

"If any of these clubs made a proposal to the value of £16m, it will have a good outcome.

"If this is not the case before July 15, he will stay at Lyon for the season.

rules us out then

But the 5 biggest teams in Europe has to be Madrid, Barca, United, City and Milan all of which do not really need a keeper. Possibly Milan out of all of them.

Back