• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please dont tell us anymore, we hear enough from the hairdressers dog, we really dont need to know anymore. I'm not sure they have the donation's setup yet, but when they do I'll be the first to hunt you down for that very valuable pound. Thank your chickens I made it fun and didnt bet you with a large amount ;)

Haha, no worries. I've got it covered quite nicely from the AVB-to-be-next-permanent-manager-of-Spurs bet I placed a few weeks back at 7/1, based on some ITK snippet posted on SC. ;)

Regarding Sturridge, I didn't think there were problems between the two. I remember the press saying the players were against AVB and Sturridge coming out and saying it wasn't true and he likes AVB or something along those lines

would there be anything wrong with signing Moutinho even if Modric stays?

Bale...........Adebayor.......Sturridge
......Modric.............Moutinho
.................Sandro

Nothing at all for me, was thinking the same, but he will probably be in the £25-£35m bracket, which, without any money from a Modric sale would be a mssive chunk of the budget and I doubt would leave much for strengthening elsewhere

Since the end of season 2010-11, we have sold:

Crouch - £12m
Keane - £3.5m
Palacios - £6m
Pav - £8m
Hutton - £3m
Crunchie - £6m
Charlie - £6m

And over the same period, as far as I can tell, we have only bought:

Parker - £5m
Coulibaly - £2m

We are also likely to sell:

Bentley
Jenas
Gomes
GDS
Bassong
Pienaar

Which could raise a further £15-20m.

Obviously, transfer dealing doesn't work exactly like that. But it gives you an idea of what sort of figure might be available.

Bare in mind everyone that we have also spent £30mil more a season on Wages and Agent fees since Redknapp joined. The money was there it was just spent elsewhere. And ask yourself why a club who had more outs than in spend the second most on agent fees after Emirates Marketing Project.

Bare in mind everyone that we have also spent £30mil more a season on Wages and Agent fees since Redknapp joined. The money was there it was just spent elsewhere. And ask yourself why a club who had more outs than in spend the second most on agent fees after Emirates Marketing Project.

The wages were only massively increased for the one season that we were in the Champions League. We didn't pay CL bonuses last season, so wages will come down again.

One thing I'm quite certain of: Levy would not sell assets to pay for operating expenses.

The wages were only massively increased for the one season that we were in the Champions League. We didn't pay CL bonuses last season, so wages will come down again.

One thing I'm quite certain of: Levy would not sell assets to pay for operating expenses.

I don't think he sold assets to pay for operating expenses; players wanted to leave or the club wanted to move them out. We cannot however pull £30 mil more out of nowhere to pay for wages whilst still expecting us to spend £30 mil on signing players. The wage bill ate into the transfer kitty.

I don't think he sold assets to pay for operating expenses; players wanted to leave or the club wanted to move them out. We cannot however pull £30 mil more out of nowhere to pay for wages whilst still expecting us to spend £30 mil on signing players. The wage bill ate into the transfer kitty.

The wage bill is a separately identifiable budget to that of the transfer budget. They shouldnt mix and im pretty sure Levy wouldnt mix it.

Think about it wages are recurring transfer fees are not. You can afford 10m on a players wages this year but not the next as the revenue is less etc.

The wage bill is a separately identifiable budget to that of the transfer budget. They shouldnt mix and im pretty sure Levy wouldnt mix it.

Think about it wages are recurring transfer fees are not. You can afford 10m on a players wages this year but not the next as the revenue is less etc.

They should mix. If you are 200kpw under your wage budget, then that allows for you to spend the excess wage budget to fund transfers.

There should be a wage bill limit, which you are talking about. Recurring revenues should set this, but that doesn't mean you can't take money out of this wage bill limit to fund one off transfers, as long as you reduce the wage bill limit by the same amount for that year.

Edit: But yeah, pulling money out of the transfer money which is non-recurring would be silly.

Last edited:
They should mix. If you are 200kpw under your wage budget, then that allows for you to spend the excess wage budget to fund transfers.

There should be a wage bill limit, which you are talking about. Recurring revenues should set this, but that doesn't mean you can't take money out of this wage bill limit to fund one off transfers, as long as you reduce the wage bill limit by the same amount for that year.

Edit: But yeah, pulling money out of the transfer money which is non-recurring would be silly.

Definite FM talk.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/03/tottenham-andre-villas-boas-manager

André Villas-Boas starts life at Spurs by targeting João Moutinho

André Villas-Boas has made the acquisition of the Portugal midfielder João Moutinho a priority for Tottenham Hotspur as he plans an expensive overhaul of the squad at White Hart Lane.

Four months after losing his job at Chelsea, and three weeks after the dismissal of Harry Redknapp, the 34-year-old was confirmed as the head coach of Spurs on a three-year contract on Tuesday. The Portuguese has been joined by the first-team fitness coach, José Mário Rocha, and head of opposition scouting, Daniel Sousa – his staff during a triumphant season at Porto but also an ill-fated nine months at Stamford Bridge – and his arrival is likely to signal a hectic transfer period at the club.

The key issue facing Villas-Boas is the future of Luka Modric and a potential replacement for the influential Croatia international, who is wanted by Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid. Despite having four years left on his contract, Modric is determined to leave after Spurs failed to qualify for the Champions League and having been denied the chance to join Villas-Boas at Chelsea last summer. Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, is equally resolved to refuse the 26-year-old a move to a Premier League rival.

Villas-Boas is prepared for Modric's exit, however, and has identified Moutinho as his main transfer target. The pair enjoyed a glorious season together at Porto in 2010-11 – when Villas-Boas led the club to the league title with an unbeaten record, the Portuguese Cup and the Europa League – and the midfielder, who enhanced his reputation at Euro 2012, is keen on a reunion with his former coach. "AVB is one of the best coaches I've worked with," the 25-year-old said recently. "I'd work with him again tomorrow."

United have also been linked with Moutinho and Levy would have to sanction a club-record fee for Spurs to sign the Portugal international. Porto value him at €35m (£28m) and even a compromise fee would dwarf the £16.75m Tottenham paid Dinamo Zagreb for Modric in 2008.

Tottenham stand to make a lucrative profit on Modric and have moved for the Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, who has rejected a £6.8m transfer to Swansea City and is stalling on a deal with Liverpool over personal terms. They also hope to complete the £9.5m signing of the Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen, despite problems over his release from the Amsterdam club, and the Internacional midfielder Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior. They also need to improve a strikeforce that currently amounts to Jermain Defoe. Emanuel Adebayor remains a target after his successful loan last season but his £170,000-a-week wages at Emirates Marketing Project are beyond Spurs.

Villas-Boas, who has been scouting in Brazil this summer, admires the Internacional striker Leandro Damião and Spurs have a sporting partnership with the Brazilian club. Gonzalo Higuaín and Ricardo Carvalho could also be used in a player-plus-cash deal with Real Madrid for Modric.

Levy, on welcoming the club's new head coach on Tuesday, said: "We are constantly looking to move the club forward. It is important that we now look to develop the potential within the squads at all levels, whilst strengthening the first team in the summer in key positions with players who will become part of the future success of the club."

Villas-Boas has been charged with the task of developing a younger team at Tottenham while qualifying for the Champions League, similar to the task he was given by Roman Abramovich at Chelsea only to alienate several senior and influential players before being sacked nine months into a three-year contract. His successor, Roberto Di Matteo, guided Chelsea to the FA Cup and Champions League double.

Levy considered several candidates to replace Redknapp, including the former France coach Laurent Blanc, the Everton manager, David Moyes, and Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic but quickly settled on Villas-Boas as his favoured choice and completed the appointment after further talks in London on Monday night. The Portuguese coach was unable to sign for another English club until after 1 July under the terms of his exit from Chelsea and is believed to have sought the European champions' permission to join Spurs before signing his contract.

Villas-Boas said: "Tottenham Hotspur is a great club with a strong tradition and fantastic support, both at home and throughout the world. I feel privileged to be its coach. For me this is one of the most exciting coaching positions in the Premier League. I have had several discussions with the chairman and the board and I share their vision for the future progress of the club. This is a squad any coach would love to work with and together I believe we can bring success in the seasons ahead."

Back