• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
----Sandro---Modric

Remy----Rafa----Bale

---------Ade

is how I see it working.

Remy is a Wiltord/Gervinho/Hulk/Bellamy. He cuts in with the ball with power and pace. He can't hold the ball up like a #9 and he's not a great finisher.

Yes I was gonna post that exact formation.

[Update 11] The Journalist with a round-up or should that read wind up?

Who: The Journalist
When: 18th May
Where: SC

The Journalist said:
I thought I would just give round up of what I know.

I am told that Loric Remy was supposed to be in London this week to look around the facilities BUT it is not going to happen now because the thigh injury he picked up means he needs to stay in France for treatment. They still hope he will be fit BUT I’m told the injury will mean he miss Euro’s, but looks like deal is close. Also told he might not be the only Marseille that you bid for.

Tottenham are also in prime position to sign Redmond and Butland from Birmingham. Don’t know details of the deal but looks like Townsend will stay at Birmingham as part of deal and Redmond might also be loaned back.

Also told that Tottenham are looking for 2 centre halves; Caulker will be loaned backed (don’t understand because I think he’s got potential to be top class and is already better than most you’ve got). I’m not hearing anything on Vertonghen.

I’ve said before Modric IS Real Madrid’s number 1 target.

There are some noises being made about other players but not as much as you would think and not as much as before. A lot of the stronger noises are suggesting French based players.
Ask him if we're still in for affelay hunterlaar and all those other players who were in London ready to sign

He is absolutely nothing like those players at Marseille atm.

Because their Ade type player (Gignac) has been out injured so Remy has been playing out of position at times.

We went through this whole thing last summer where everyone was convinced that Hulk was a #9, because he had a few games there when Falcao was out injured.

The Journalist said:

I am told that Loric Remy was supposed to be in London this week to look around the facilities BUT it is not going to happen now because the thigh injury he picked up means he needs to stay in France for treatment. They still hope he will be fit BUT IÔÇÖm told the injury will mean he miss EuroÔÇÖs, but looks like deal is close. Also told he might not be the only Marseille that you bid for.

Tottenham are also in prime position to sign Redmond and Butland from Birmingham. DonÔÇÖt know details of the deal but looks like Townsend will stay at Birmingham as part of deal and Redmond might also be loaned back.

Also told that Tottenham are looking for 2 centre halves; Caulker will be loaned backed (donÔÇÖt understand because I think heÔÇÖs got potential to be top class and is already better than most youÔÇÖve got). IÔÇÖm not hearing anything on Vertonghen.

IÔÇÖve said before Modric IS Real MadridÔÇÖs number 1 target.

There are some noises being made about other players but not as much as you would think and not as much as before. A lot of the stronger noises are suggesting French based players.

More brick from him.

----Sandro---Modric

Remy----Rafa----Bale

---------Ade

is how I see it working.

Remy is a Wiltord/Gervinho/Hulk/Bellamy. He cuts in with the ball with power and pace. He can't hold the ball up like a #9 and he's not a great finisher.

Similar to Henry before he came to Arse - he wasnt a great finisher. The reason that Henry became a great finisher was because he was cool and calm and learned to pass the ball into the net rather than thinking he had to power it

There's a lot of similarities between Remy and Henry at that age. No guarantee that the end result will be the same of course

The Journalist said:

I am told that Loric Remy was supposed to be in London this week to look around the facilities BUT it is not going to happen now because the thigh injury he picked up means he needs to stay in France for treatment. They still hope he will be fit BUT IÔÇÖm told the injury will mean he miss EuroÔÇÖs, but looks like deal is close. Also told he might not be the only Marseille that you bid for.

Tottenham are also in prime position to sign Redmond and Butland from Birmingham. DonÔÇÖt know details of the deal but looks like Townsend will stay at Birmingham as part of deal and Redmond might also be loaned back.

Also told that Tottenham are looking for 2 centre halves; Caulker will be loaned backed (donÔÇÖt understand because I think heÔÇÖs got potential to be top class and is already better than most youÔÇÖve got). IÔÇÖm not hearing anything on Vertonghen.

IÔÇÖve said before Modric IS Real MadridÔÇÖs number 1 target.

Madrid are one of the few teams around who actually don't need Modric - because they have Alonso already playing that role (the other being Barca because it's Xavi's position for now).

From a French journalist. Basically ITKs that use their real names:

Julien Laurens ‏@LaurensJulien

Harry Redknapp met Lo?»c R?®my yesterday in Paris at Orly airport.Looking good for Spurs.Marseille is asking around15M?ú for the transfer

Similar to Henry before he came to Arse - he wasnt a great finisher. The reason that Henry became a great finisher was because he was cool and calm and learned to pass the ball into the net rather than thinking he had to power it

There's a lot of similarities between Remy and Henry at that age. No guarantee that the end result will be the same of course

The finishing I'm less bothered about (much like Ade) as we have Rafa and Bale.

It's the fact that he can't play with his back to goal (something that is crucial for a #9 in the EPL) that concerns me.

Bolton have released about half their squad as their contracts have run out, reducing their wage bill by 50%. Seems they timed their relegation to perfection.

Not a massive amount of quality there either

The striker and defender Sam Ricketts, who has agreed a two-year deal, are the only players to commit to the club.
Negotiations with Jussi Jaaskelainen and Zat Knight are ongoing.
Ricardo Gardner, Gretar Steinsson and Ivan Klasnic are among those released, while Nigel Reo-Coker has activated a release clause in his contract.
Paul Robinson, Sean Davis, Robbie Blake, Mark Connolly, Tope Obadeyi, Rhys Bennett, Dino Fazlic and Tom Eckersley have also not been offered new deals.
Meanwhile, Tuncay, Ryo Miyachi and Dedryck Boyata have all returned to their parent clubs after reaching the end of their loan spells at the Reebok Stadium.

Klasnic is the only one to peak any interest for me. Completely inconsistent and anonymous much of the time, but shows great quality at times.

It's the fact that he can't play with his back to goal (something that is crucial for a #9 in the EPL) that concerns me.

Gutter - I think you are presuming that we wont get Ade or at the very least another striker.

I think we will get in two strikers - we need an overhaul in that area.

Because their Ade type player (Gignac) has been out injured so Remy has been playing out of position at times.

Gignac was only injured for around 6 weeks last season - the rest the his time he was dropped to their reserves for pulling a Berba and generally being utter brick afterwards

Seriously - you couldn't possibly be more wrong about Remy's natural position

I wouldnt say that Torres is great with his back to goal and he got the odd goal or two at Liverpool. Henry also scored a few for Arse and wasnt a natural hold up player. You need balance with the CFs in your squad and having say Ade, Remy and VdV would give us three different options and you could pair any of those 2 together and it would work

Last edited:

Leave off mate, you can't get my hopes / expectations up like that.

Just spoke to the French guy opposite me and he thinks Remy's a good player, quick, strong and skillful. Says he's a million times better than Chamakh or Gervinho, but that he thought Remy said he wasn't going to leave Marseille this year and that a "bigger" (c*nt!) club would be in for him if he moved.

Make of that what you will.

Gutter - I think you are presuming that we wont get Ade or at the very least another striker.

I think we will get in two strikers - we need an overhaul in that area.

I am presuming we'll get Ade.

I am also presuming that we'll not spend ?ú15m for a benchwarmer. Therefore I'm deducing that Remy will come into the side in place of Lennon and we'll properly move from 4-4-1-1 to 4-2-3-1.

I think we actually need Ade, Remy and a 3rd forward (a more direct Ade understudy).

Just give up mate. He has never seen him play. Hes just trying to tinkle everyone off.

fudges me off when people throw outlandish claims with zero back-up and when confronted with factual arguments to the contrary simply start from the beginning like a broken record player

I am presuming we'll get Ade.

I am also presuming that we'll not spend ?ú15m for a benchwarmer. Therefore I'm deducing that Remy will come into the side in place of Lennon and we'll properly move from 4-4-1-1 to 4-2-3-1.

I think we actually need Ade, Remy and a 3rd forward (a more direct Ade understudy).

If we get in the CL proper and have say 50-55 top games next year then thats 100-110 forward spots. If we have Ade, Remy and VdV then thats about 35 starts each if they rotate. That feels about right and any two of those 3 could play together

We then need a 4th forward, or 3rd in GB's language as he's ignoring VdV, to cover for the 3 top forwards

Back