• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He isn't a finisher. And, no, he can't cross. I actually think we should stay clear.

You know what? I dont know anythin about the guy but from the few pages on here - there is no conclusive proof that he is what we need. Then again I think we will be buying two strikers this summer (we need two top quality strikers). I am also assuming one of them is Ade so we need another who has different attributes so we can mix it up a bit.

Seems obvious we are waiting for Saturday to be done before signing anyone. Clearly our finances and wages etc will change significantly depending on the outcome so levy wants to count the beans correctly first.

Seems obvious we are waiting for Saturday to be done before signing anyone. Clearly our finances and wages etc will change significantly depending on the outcome so levy wants to count the beans correctly first.

Doesn't entirely work though.

We have to win the qualifier first.

But you directly quoted superspurs and his example was a player ahead of Remy in the striker position with Remy on the right, you can't just make it up as you go along, work to his description. Remy, imo, isn't far off a Kuyt type player. I don't think he's on the same level as Ade whatsoever. If I'm being honest, I actually don't think we should be looking at Remy. Certainly not for ?ú20m+, I don't really rate him. But if we ended up with him, I'd be happy to use him in a forward three as he doesn't have the goal return to be the main man.

His opening line was

'Remy is a forward who plays on the right, no?'

He was seeking for some opinions on the matter so I offered mine (having watched a dozen of his games live). Didn't even look at that formation until you broght it up actually. Perhaps I should have deleted it from the quote all together.

I'm not making anything up - he is nothing like Kuyt (who was transformed into a winger under Benny Hill and was similar to KJH in his Dutch days).

I've never seen him play in Kuyt's position either so I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion. He plays as Marseille's main man - much like Ade did for us last season.

Remy would be wasted and in that formation and as already mentioned - I doubt Arry would opt for that anyway

He also returned 21 goals in the past campaign which is a fair amount. Out of those 12 (29 starts) were in the league at a ratio of 1 every 184 minutes and a roughy 50% shot accuracy

Adebayor returned 17 goals from 33 games in the league (including number of pens) at a ratio of 1 goals every 167 minutes.

I don't think he's such a bad shout for the right amount, imv - that's all

its amazing you say that especially considering our history in these matters

Bolton have released about half their squad as their contracts have run out, reducing their wage bill by 50%. Seems they timed their relegation to perfection.

He isn't a finisher. And, no, he can't cross. I actually think we should stay clear.

You may not rate him, thats your problem, but he is a striker.

Is defoe a right winger? Nope, so why would someone carry on saying he was as we all know he isnt. You`re doing exacly the same thing. Remy is as much a winger as defoe.

This whole "need to play in the CL" does my head in. You get 6 matches in the group stages, of which only 2 are guaranteed to be against top level opposition. If you go through you get another 2-7 matches. The season after you may not even qualify. Really something to base your career decisions on. Most players will be more than happy with the regular 38 league games and a handful of domestic cup fixtures, you're guaranteed more big games there than in the CL.

Mate, nobody comes to a club to be 3rd choice unless it's for money. You honestly think that, say, Pienaar came to Spurs expecting to be on the bench. These players are at the prime of their game and expect to be able to force their way into contention. Just look at Sidwell when he went to Chelsea. In his own words, he wouldn't be going there unless he expected to be able to compete, a footballer has to have belief in his own ability otherwise how can they play? Deluded as he was, he made his move for the right reasons.

Kone isn't up to much. He has had one good season and how many terrible seasons? RSC without any of the glitz. As a club with title supposed title aspirations we should be targeting three strikers to challange each other, not two strikers and a water carrier.

There's a difference between what to say at the moment you sign a player and how you use him during the stay at the club. I agree that neither him nor other players at peak age will be interested in joining if he's told he'll be third choice and mostly sit on the bench. That doesn't mean you can't convince a player to join and that said player will be comfortable with a squad role if that's what it turns into. Louis Saha is a good example of someone being happy with a squad role, having joined for squad depth and to challenge Defoe, he seems eager to sign a new contract with us. Slightly older yes, but also in a way at the same stage of their career. My point about accepting third choice, is more about planning so that there's not three star strikers all demanding a move in mid season.

And just to make it clear, it annoys me a bit that this is angled in a way that it seems I would like us to sign Kone. :)
Just wanted to mention us being linked with the man. One of hundreds this summer I assume.

This whole "need to play in the CL" does my head in. You get 6 matches in the group stages, of which only 2 are guaranteed to be against top level opposition. If you go through you get another 2-7 matches. The season after you may not even qualify. Really something to base your career decisions on. Most players will be more than happy with the regular 38 league games and a handful of domestic cup fixtures, you're guaranteed more big games there than in the CL.

But it's only people on here who are so sure that's the deciding factor. Like Redknapp said the other day it's not the case and we'd still get good players regardless. He pointed out Chelsea would still sign big players if they didn't qualify, possibly Liverpool etc .

So? The CL is the pinacle of club football. How many players dream of playing in the World Cup, even though you can only play 3-7 World Cup games every 4 years? Lothar Mathaus holds the record for most World Cup appearances with 25.

But it's only people on here who are so sure that's the deciding factor. Like Redknapp said the other day it's not the case and we'd still get good players regardless. He pointed out Chelsea would still sign big players if they didn't qualify, possibly Liverpool etc .

Because they can pay double / triple our wages

We cannot match those figures so need to offer other incentives so yes, of course it is a deciding factor. Why else are we desperate to compete every season?

I'm not saying it's right / wrong - but it's how agents and good players often choose to do business

And just to make it clear, it annoys me a bit that this is angled in a way that it seems I would like us to sign Kone. :)
Just wanted to mention us being linked with the man. One of hundreds this summer I assume.

Agent school lesson #23

If you're trying to drum up interest in your client using media, mention Tottenham.

It has become the highest club platform (for better or worse) and one offering quite possibly the greatest world-wide exposure.

In a career spanning roughly a decade - I'd say aspiring to make the greatest club stage is by no means outlandish or unreasonable. Not to mention agent's input

Aboslutely this

Which would in turn leave is with around 5 days to do all our business and hope for a G14 reject ala VdV. Again.

I think that we would make the move irrespective for the right type of signing (i.e. ones who are young, not ridiculously expensive in terms of transfer fee and want sensible wages). The likes of Vertonghen, Dembele and Hoilett could fit into this sort of bracket. However in order to sign players for bigger fees (i.e. Remy) or those that want bigger wages (i.e. Adebayor) I think it's inevitable that we first have to find out what European competition we'll be in next season.

It may also be that some of the players want to wait and see what European competition we'll be in before they decide to join us.

So? The CL is the pinacle of club football. How many players dream of playing in the World Cup, even though you can only play 3-7 World Cup games every 4 years? Lothar Mathaus holds the record for most World Cup appearances with 25.

The CL is being marketed as the greatest competition ever, but in reality it's rather boring. And there aren't any club that can guarantee their players participation for the entire length of a contract. Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Barca, Real, Bayern, Inter, AC and Juventus would have been the obvious candidates and now City, but Inter and Chelsea have finished outside their country's places this season, Juve have been out of it a few years and Liverpool are nowhere near getting back in. There's only so many players these clubs can have. If CL is THAT important for a player he should probably look towards Russia/Ukraine/Portugal. None of the clubs there are likely to get past the quarters (though you never know), but at least you get to play in it.

I have always felt that when players state that it is not just about being in the Champions league but also what that means. It normally means a team in the top 4 of their respective league and competing at the top end, and probably paying decent wages and having a chance of winning trophies. So stating you want to play for a CL team really means "I want to play for a top team".

I think that we would make the move irrespective for the right type of signing (i.e. ones who are young, not ridiculously expensive in terms of transfer fee and want sensible wages). The likes of Vertonghen, Dembele and Hoilett could fit into this sort of bracket. However in order to sign players for bigger fees (i.e. Remy) or those that want bigger wages (i.e. Adebayor) I think it's inevitable that we first have to find out what European competition we'll be in next season.

It may also be that some of the players want to wait and see what European competition we'll be in before they decide to join us.

All the players we're linked with at the moment are players that are looking to make a move to a bigger league/club. For them to wait for us to qualify before signing makes no sense, unless they have other offers from clubs already in the CL. And if they do, they could just sign for that club right now.

The biggest "need to play in the CL" is for us rather than the players - the cash impact is massive so can understand why our transfers wont be completely finalised til late Aug when we know what competition we'll be in

Back