• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Arouna Kone's agent talk us up as one of the clubs interested in his client.
Flopped at Sevilla, but was excellent this season out on loan at Levante scoring 15 goals for the big surprise team of the season. Now out of contract. Could be a 3rd choice option up front, more in him than Saha I'd say.

I'd rather give the chance to one of our youngsters to be honest, couldn't see him coping in the Premier League. If you want to go out there, I'd go for Burak Yilmaz, he's a bloke that knows where the back of the net is. Doumbia has torn the Russian league a new one, but fudge dealing with CSKA. Or you've got Bas Dost as the latest Eredivisie product to come out of nowhere and score an absolute hat full.

If you're going to get an unknown, at least make it one that is fairly young and hasn't failed miserably for a number of years (despite a flurry).

Remy is a forward that plays in from the right isn't he? I've only seen him a few times but isn't he played in a system similar to the forward 3 of Chelsea?

So we could see something along the lines of:

--------------ST----------------
Bale-------------------Remy/FWD

Or is that just gonads?

Remy is a forward that plays in from the right isn't he? I've only seen him a few times but isn't he played in a system similar to the forward 3 of Chelsea?

Or is that just gonads?

That'd be well doable. Don't know where that would leave VdV though.

Or is that just gonads?

With our midfield its gonads I'm afraid. To have a workable 3 man midfield you need 1 of the 3 to be a goalscorer like Scholes, Lumpard, Cahill, Fabregas etc etc. Otherwise you dont get enough goals and you have all 3 midfielders behind the ball rather than anyone supporting the forwards. We dont have a midfielder capable of getting 10-15 goals per year like those I just mentioned

Don't think there's anything in it to be honest, just speculation.
However, Kone is decent quality and wouldn't mind the same role Saha has at the moment.
Cheap 3rd choice option up front, allowing us to spend more on a star striker.
Can't see Redknapp being prepared to play Harry Kane regulary already,
although I wouldn't mind it myself.
Yilmaz and Doumbia wouldn't settle for the bench, they'd demand to be starters.

Indeed... who am I kidding.

Just really want some players signed up before the Euros, sounds like Vertonghen is itching to be a Spurs player but we are in the same ol' fee wrangle, Remy is sounding hopeful too.

Crack on Levy.

Or is that just gonads?

Marseille often play a standrad 4-5-1 / 4-4-1-1 with Remy up top and Valbuena behind him

- He is their only natural #9 (I think the younger Ayew is more a Defoe type-poacher and Brandao is 32 next month)

- He is their current top scorer with 21 in all comps

- He has never played on the wing for them - most certainly not in Lennon's position

- He cannot play as winger and is most effective in the same role as Ade for us

- They have much better wingers than him inlcuding

- Amalfitano
- Cheyrou
- Ayew, etc.

He is NOT a winger and most certainly NOT Aaron Lennon's replacement

Last edited:
Don't think there's anything in it to be honest, just speculation.
However, Kone is decent quality and wouldn't mind the same role Saha has at the moment.
Cheap 3rd choice option up front, allowing us to spend more on a star striker.
Can't see Redknapp being prepared to play Harry Kane regulary already,
although I wouldn't mind it myself.
Yilmaz and Doumbia wouldn't settle for the bench, they'd demand to be starters.
Mate, nobody comes to a club to be 3rd choice unless it's for money. You honestly think that, say, Pienaar came to Spurs expecting to be on the bench. These players are at the prime of their game and expect to be able to force their way into contention. Just look at Sidwell when he went to Chelsea. In his own words, he wouldn't be going there unless he expected to be able to compete, a footballer has to have belief in his own ability otherwise how can they play? Deluded as he was, he made his move for the right reasons.

Kone isn't up to much. He has had one good season and how many terrible seasons? RSC without any of the glitz. As a club with title supposed title aspirations we should be targeting three strikers to challange each other, not two strikers and a water carrier.

Cheers for clearing that up Arc, assuming you have seen him a fair bit, reckon he could be a hit at Spurs if we got him in?

Yes, if one of Ade / Defoe is leaving (strong possibility) he's very much within our 'means' and could be a very sensible investment.

From the 10-12 games I've seen him live - he moves well, ample shot, can spot a great pass, doesn't come across as a selfish qunt and works hard.

Assuming we've missed the boat for Llorente (he's 95% sure to start for Spain next month automatically adding 15m to his fee at the very least) - we should most definitely explore this avenue considering Marseille finished 5th last season and cannot offer CL football in addition to us having allegedly enquired before

Marseille often play a standrad 4-5-1 / 4-4-1-1 with Remy up top and Valbuena behind him

- He is their only natural #9 (I think the younger Ayew is more a Defoe type-poacher and Brandao is 32 next month)

- He is their current top scorer with 21 in all comps

- He has never played on the wing for them - most certainly not in Lennon's position

- He cannot play as winger and is most effective in the same role as Ade for us

- They have much better wingers than him inlcuding

- Amalfitano
- Cheyrou
- Ayew, etc.

He is NOT a winger and most certainly NOT Aaron Lennon's replacement

Sorry Arc, you've missed his point. He's talking about a 4-3-3 where Bale and Remy play as forwards rather than hugging the wings. If we could advance Bale a bit and support him with a player that is comfortable drifting from central to wide in the midfield, he could be awesome in front of goal. In any case, it wouldn't be a like for like replacement but a different option, you could certainly use Remy in that way if we wanted to change tactics.

However, I'm not sure what the midfield would look like in that case. Maybe something like:

--------------------ST--------------------
Bale--------------------------------Remy
---------Modric-----------Thudd---------
------------------Sandro-----------------

As mentioned above, you'd want Thudd and Modric to pick up some goals. But with a proper 20/30 a season striker, that could be a viable system for some games. Modric is happy to pull wide left and Tommy has played games where at times he has been all over the pitch. I know it was a disaster as a 4-4-2 with Niko and Modric in the centre but you could maybe look at Niko in Thudd's place and pulling right when needed. With Sandro or Parker mopping up, I think that would be safe enough and Niko is a decent goal threat.

So basically what you're suggesting is - we should utilise Ade (like for like striker to Remy, used to illustrate my example) in Walcott's position and have a superior #9 (assuming we most definitely cannot afford Remy and another superior #9 in the same transfer window bearing in mind we've failed to sign that' Berbatov' replacement for 5 years now so there is no chance in fudge we would bring in 2 during the same window) play as the fulcrum?

No, mate - not buying that. We would waste him on that side.

I was also responding to this earlier post whereby Remy was compared to Hoilett

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showth...-Rumour-Thread&p=113611&viewfull=1#post113611

Last edited:
I would think it most likely that Redknapp is looking to fit Remy into his preferred 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 formation rather than switch to 4-3-3 which we do not have the players for.

So basically what you're suggesting is - we should utilise Ade (like for like striker to Remy, used to illustrate my example) in Walcott's position and have a superior #9 (assuming we most definitely cannot afford Remy and another superior #9 in the same transfer window bearing in mind we've failed to sign that' Berbatov' replacement for 5 years now so there is no chance in fudge we would bring in 2 during the same window) play as the fulcrum?

No, mate - not buying that. We would waste him on that side.

I was also responding to this earlier post whereby Remy was compared to Hoilett

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showth...-Rumour-Thread&p=113611&viewfull=1#post113611

But you directly quoted superspurs and his example was a player ahead of Remy in the striker position with Remy on the right, you can't just make it up as you go along, work to his description. Remy, imo, isn't far off a Kuyt type player. I don't think he's on the same level as Ade whatsoever. If I'm being honest, I actually don't think we should be looking at Remy. Certainly not for ?ú20m+, I don't really rate him. But if we ended up with him, I'd be happy to use him in a forward three as he doesn't have the goal return to be the main man.

Back