• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With Rodgers going. Swansea will get relegated and we'll bring in Sigurdsson next season cut price :)

was really wanting to get Rodgers as a replacement for Harry. I just wanted that 433, fluid, passing style of play so bad. Now it looks as if we're stuck with another year of tactical decisions that no one but 'Arry understands and continued wasted opportunities on free kicks and corners.

I was disgusted with what gomez did against chelsea, if it had been a spurs player i would want him shot. He has played badly whenever i seen him with germany as well.

Dzeko on the other hand has not really been given a chance at city and has done well when played.

i actually dont know if he is better than defoe. Dzeko dingdonged all over the german league and didnt really light it up here. defoe 'can' light it up here...the most difficult league in the WORLD

i'd wager that if defoe had those chances that Gomez did, he'd have put 2 of the 8 stonewall chances gomez had into the net.

i know defoe has his faults, but the only thing gomez has on him is size and probably (i am really assuming) a more cultured and composed finish

if you put gomez in Emirates Marketing Project i'd be ecstatic , i wouldnt fear us against him AT ALL

how many did Dzeko score at WHL last August???:-k

Finding the net in Germany isn't that different to finding the net here, you know. Pound for pound, the Bundesliga's probably as good, if not better, than the PL. As for getting set up by two world class wingers, Azza and Bale would run them fairly close, I feel, when supported by Rafa and Modric advancing from deep.

And as for your instincts, I wouldn't go with them too much if I were you. We're competing on a different level to bayern. They want to win the CL, we (atm) just want to get into it. Ergo, less pressure on Gomez. Ergo, more freedom. And ergo, more goals.

Plus, I'd imagine his woefulness in the CL final'll make him determined to never experience that again.

dont agree that finding the net in germany is the same as here

dont agree that the german league 'pound for pound' is better than premiership

dont agree that it is possibly better

Azza running ribery and robben pretty close? jjeeeeeezuz if there was ever evidence of someone just trying to make a point for the sake of it at any cost. i dont agree. Bale? maybe..but he needs consistency over seasons...he hasnt even done that for one season..under the right manager then quite probably i would say yes..but now no

we are competing on a different level to bayern , we are competing in a harder league than them. i'll tell you this now..if our tottenham team was in germany as it is...we'd be competing for the title. they can try to win the CL cause they have an easier league to play in so they get CL...and luck will take you far as will paying Big wages to outright donkeys. we were in the CL once....a group of death so to speak..we made it to the quarter finals and barring having players like Gomes (our keeper) and crouch having horrific moments we would have competed better with madrid...us the team that baaarely snatched 4th. puurrlease..all you need at times is LUCK and you can win the CL

i dont understand this bit
And as for your instincts, I wouldn't go with them too much if I were you. We're competing on a different level to bayern. They want to win the CL, we (atm) just want to get into it. Ergo, less pressure on Gomez. Ergo, more freedom. And ergo, more goals

this is all relative, you dont think that relative to the mission statement that making 4th isnt a BIG deal to the fans of spurs as winning the CL is to the fans of the bundesliga? think about what your saying..you're looking at it from the perspective of someone that isnt invested in either 4th or the CL , ergo you see the CL trophy to a bayern fan as more important than 4th is to us. you go talk to a wigan fan about staying in the premiership..they couldnt give a damn about the CL final. if gomez went there he would have just as much pressure as he would if he had to score OPEN goals in a CL final. its all relative (at least it is if you can somehow standardise it. actually that would be a good exercise for a survey)

as for his woefulness. i dont know how old you are but he has been woeful in big marketed contests before. hasnt stopped him from being average to diabolical in the real to chelsea game respectively

i dont agree with anything you've posted there. but its all okay, we are men and we have our right to believe what we want

i've seen enough of a striker with a bad touch, poor movement and lack interaction with his team mates to make my decision

Adebayor is better than him in almost everything bar maybe finishing

EDIT:- me not go with my instincts? forget that. i'd rather my instincts got proved wrong categorically before i put them away.

Last edited:
interesting article... breaks down the origins of the VDV rumour:

http://www.tottenblog.com/2012/05/tracing-bullsht-behind-vdv-to-schalke.html

As you may have noticed, the latest story to be doing the rounds in the British gutter press is Van Der Vaart to Schalke.

You'll notice various English papers are quoting Van Der Vaart with this:
"I donÔÇÖt want to say anything at the moment, as all my focus is on the European Championships."

The source they say is Dutch site de Telegraaf. Visiting that site you find that this quote from VDV is not actually mentioned. It has become a sentence constructed by their reporter - 'Van der Vaart will now focus entirely on the European Championships, but has never made it a secret that he'd like to return to the Bundesliga at some point.'
This we already knew. Rafa has always said he'd like to end his career in Germany. De Telegraaf goes further though as it appears that it is Schalke striker Huntelaar who is demanding the signing of Van Der Vaart if they want to keep him at the club...

However, De Telegraaf cites German website Sportbild as the source of the story now... Hmm, the plot thickens.

On Sportbild the "quote" from VDV has now completely disappeared and the story now focusses on Huntelaar, who is no longer making "sign VDV or I'm off" demands...

The gist is that following the departure of Raul, and Schalke's qualification for the Champions League, Huntelaar appears to be concerned that Schalke won't be able to compete in the Champions League if the team continues to be dismantled.
Huntelaar is asked if re-enforcements in the shape of his Dutch team mate Rafael Van Der Vaart would be good. After all, Mrs Van Der Vaart works in Germany, so this would be perfect no? Huntelaar is quoted with, "I know the personnel policies at my club and I don't get involved. But I've known Rafael for tens of years, he's a world class player, he can help any club in the world - of course, Schalke.... A transfer would be great."

Schalke may very well be planning to bid for Rafa but at the ?ú7M plucked out of the air I can see Levy laughing in their face. However, this international game of Chinese whispers has gone from the German press with Huntelaar saying, "I've known Rafael for ages, he's a great player" to Dutch press claiming that Huntelaar is demanding Schalke sign Van Der Vaart, onto British press who have decided VDV is off but doesn't want to talk about it just yet and finally to this website, which strives to cut through the reams of off season flimflam.

Not strictly true. His comments recently about finishing his career in Holland

And unlike trumper gutter press, I'll provide a quote from April

"I see it as an obligation to play football once again in the Netherlands," Van der Vaart told Voetbal International. "I have a feeling I have to give something back to the Eredivisie, for what it has meant to me."

I am stunned that people that slag off Defoe for not being a team player would accept Gomez who is even less of a team player

how many did Dzeko score at WHL last August???:-k

please tell me this is a joke. oh GHod why ....

before you type on something as sensitive as a potential double agent costing us our place in the CL. just THINK. think about what you're saying...go back to that game and see the game again and please just consider everything in that game...arrrrgh this is irritating me...(not because of anything about you personally. its more a character flaw of mine)

and just to clarify..if dzeko scored 10 goals in that one match , what are you trying to say based on a sample size of one match? based on only ONE match what are you definitively trying to say about him? what point are you trying to make on that one match?

Last edited:
Well I suppose for Liverpool it could be a step in the right direction but GHod it'll take a while.. The ground work was already there at Swansea from when Martinez was there, so Rodgers has a tough time on his hands.

‏@Agent_ITK said earlier today: It will take a big, big offer from #LFC for Rodgers to accept.

He has since spent the day tweeting back to people that Rodgers won't go there. Hah.

Who archibald
Date 30th May
Site Spurs Odyssey

few bits to do but as reported in the press is comin ahead of the national team..

Back