• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can't be Olic, he's signed for Wolfsburg. Apart from him, players who could improve us from that Bayern side are Badstuber, Lahm, Neuer, Gomez, Kroos, Ribery, Robben, Muller and Schweinsteiger. Out of those, the only one I consider to be even remotely realistic is Kroos, due to his conflict with Muller, position wise, and his inability to fit into a two-man defensive midfield with Schweinsteiger, as was so aptly proven in the CL final by Chelsea's dangerous (though ultimately mainly futile) attacks.

did you just say Gomez would improve us?

did you just say Gomez would improve us?

to be fair, he was pretty immense all the way up to the final. just blew it when they needed him most. reminded me too much of Olic for Bayern a few years back... scored for fun until they needed him and then just choked.

More because we have one striker on our books, rather then him being of immense quality.

then its safe to say that you yourself would improve us too if you just registered yourself as a striker

but on a serious note though, I have seen gomez play before albeit it a number of years ago and then i saw him play for germany in a major contest after that....and he was crap and i couldnt understand why. having coached teenagers rejected from clubs in the past i know full well what confidence and nerves can do to someone...a person's character comes into play 110% of the time in professional sport

but after putting everything i've learned aside and accepting the wisdom and council of a couple of guys on here that maybe, just maybe, Gomez is a world class striker..one of the top 10 in the world allegedly......the level of humiliation for me to say....well , some guys who know their stuff on the fukcing internet say Gomez is one seeeeeeerious player.. dont worry..if he gets the chances he'll do the business (i said this even after i saw the bayern v real game and realised that he didnt look that different from when i saw him years ago. at the time i just let it be cause we didnt really have much invested in that match)...to then sit there and watch gomez show us all the attributes of a donkey that can finish......

oooohh hell, put it this way.......i dont rate gomez . simple. am sitting there pinging my teams CL hopes on a buffoon that can find the net in germany and gets set up every week by two world class wingers ..all on me just ignoring my instincts cause someone says he's amazing

no, i;ve seen gomez...if he's happy with 3rd striker then fine, but we can do better

Yep. Final of the CL ( #-o ) aside, he was a monster for most of the season. Much better than all of our strikers bar Ade, and even there I think he edges it slightly.

he was brick in the real madrid game to. i watched that almost specifically for gomez otherwise i wouldnt have bothered.

normally i would drag this out and actually get into it about how you can be sure of what you sayI.e how often you saw him, what the quality of team he plays against was, factor in rubbish defending in germany (very spacious but certainly physical), blah bla blah...but in all honesty i dont have the energy. and typing on the net wont change anything unless one day we sit down together have a look at footage and you tell me what you see. cause i dont see it...certainly not on the box anyway

you say you rate gomez? well thats all i need to know..

i respect your right to have an opinion on anything you want...i've seen enough (well not enough if i were truly honest) with my own eyes (fudge stats) both past and present.....and i categorically do not agree with you. i dont say this often but i believe you are flat out wrong about this guy

Affy, don't think yourself, just listen to Mumorn, he knows every player on the planet.

And they all fit neatly into 2 piles, "AMAZING" or ":ross:"

interesting article... breaks down the origins of the VDV rumour:

http://www.tottenblog.com/2012/05/tracing-bullsht-behind-vdv-to-schalke.html

As you may have noticed, the latest story to be doing the rounds in the British gutter press is Van Der Vaart to Schalke.

You'll notice various English papers are quoting Van Der Vaart with this:
"I don’t want to say anything at the moment, as all my focus is on the European Championships."

The source they say is Dutch site de Telegraaf. Visiting that site you find that this quote from VDV is not actually mentioned. It has become a sentence constructed by their reporter - 'Van der Vaart will now focus entirely on the European Championships, but has never made it a secret that he'd like to return to the Bundesliga at some point.'
This we already knew. Rafa has always said he'd like to end his career in Germany. De Telegraaf goes further though as it appears that it is Schalke striker Huntelaar who is demanding the signing of Van Der Vaart if they want to keep him at the club...

However, De Telegraaf cites German website Sportbild as the source of the story now... Hmm, the plot thickens.

On Sportbild the "quote" from VDV has now completely disappeared and the story now focusses on Huntelaar, who is no longer making "sign VDV or I'm off" demands...

The gist is that following the departure of Raul, and Schalke's qualification for the Champions League, Huntelaar appears to be concerned that Schalke won't be able to compete in the Champions League if the team continues to be dismantled.
Huntelaar is asked if re-enforcements in the shape of his Dutch team mate Rafael Van Der Vaart would be good. After all, Mrs Van Der Vaart works in Germany, so this would be perfect no? Huntelaar is quoted with, "I know the personnel policies at my club and I don't get involved. But I've known Rafael for tens of years, he's a world class player, he can help any club in the world - of course, Schalke.... A transfer would be great."

Schalke may very well be planning to bid for Rafa but at the ?ú7M plucked out of the air I can see Levy laughing in their face. However, this international game of Chinese whispers has gone from the German press with Huntelaar saying, "I've known Rafael for ages, he's a great player" to Dutch press claiming that Huntelaar is demanding Schalke sign Van Der Vaart, onto British press who have decided VDV is off but doesn't want to talk about it just yet and finally to this website, which strives to cut through the reams of off season flimflam.

to be fair, he was pretty immense all the way up to the final. just blew it when they needed him most. reminded me too much of Olic for Bayern a few years back... scored for fun until they needed him and then just choked.

et tu VolSpur. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gomez needs to play a lot to maintain his sharpness. Needs to be 1st choice. He also needs quite a lot of chances to score his goals. I think our first choice striker should be someone like Ade, that can be involved in build up play and isn't just there to apply the finish.

Mario Gomez: Had just the fewest touches per goal in Europe's top 5 leagues this season, averaging just 34.5 touches for each of his strikes

Fewest touches per goal in the PL this season (min 5 goals): Djibril Cisse 31.5, Patinkle Cisse 41.5, Berbatov 44.6, Defoe 44.8, Jelavic 49.8

then its safe to say that you yourself would improve us too if you just registered yourself as a striker

but on a serious note though, I have seen gomez play before albeit it a number of years ago and then i saw him play for germany in a major contest after that....and he was crap and i couldnt understand why. having coached teenagers rejected from clubs in the past i know full well what confidence and nerves can do to someone...a person's character comes into play 110% of the time in professional sport

but after putting everything i've learned aside and accepting the wisdom and council of a couple of guys on here that maybe, just maybe, Gomez is a world class striker..one of the top 10 in the world allegedly......the level of humiliation for me to say....well , some guys who know their stuff on the fukcing internet say Gomez is one seeeeeeerious player.. dont worry..if he gets the chances he'll do the business (i said this even after i saw the bayern v real game and realised that he didnt look that different from when i saw him years ago. at the time i just let it be cause we didnt really have much invested in that match)...to then sit there and watch gomez show us all the attributes of a donkey that can finish......

oooohh hell, put it this way.......i dont rate gomez . simple. am sitting there pinging my teams CL hopes on a buffoon that can find the net in germany and gets set up every week by two world class wingers ..all on me just ignoring my instincts cause someone says he's amazing

no, i;ve seen gomez...if he's happy with 3rd striker then fine, but we can do better

Finding the net in Germany isn't that different to finding the net here, you know. Pound for pound, the Bundesliga's probably as good, if not better, than the PL. As for getting set up by two world class wingers, Azza and Bale would run them fairly close, I feel, when supported by Rafa and Modric advancing from deep.

And as for your instincts, I wouldn't go with them too much if I were you. We're competing on a different level to bayern. They want to win the CL, we (atm) just want to get into it. Ergo, less pressure on Gomez. Ergo, more freedom. And ergo, more goals.

Plus, I'd imagine his woefulness in the CL final'll make him determined to never experience that again.

he is better than Defoe and errrrrrrrrrrrrr, oh we dont have any other strikers do we.....so yes, a brick Gomez would improve us

i actually dont know if he is better than defoe. Dzeko dingdonged all over the german league and didnt really light it up here. defoe 'can' light it up here...the most difficult league in the WORLD

i'd wager that if defoe had those chances that Gomez did, he'd have put 2 of the 8 stonewall chances gomez had into the net.

i know defoe has his faults, but the only thing gomez has on him is size and probably (i am really assuming) a more cultured and composed finish

if you put gomez in Emirates Marketing Project i'd be ecstatic , i wouldnt fear us against him AT ALL

Gomez needs to play a lot to maintain his sharpness. Needs to be 1st choice. He also needs quite a lot of chances to score his goals. I think our first choice striker should be someone like Ade, that can be involved in build up play and isn't just there to apply the finish.

Mario Gomez: Had just the fewest touches per goal in Europe's top 5 leagues this season, averaging just 34.5 touches for each of his strikes

Fewest touches per goal in the PL this season (min 5 goals): Djibril Cisse 31.5, Patinkle Cisse 41.5, Berbatov 44.6, Defoe 44.8, Jelavic 49.8

I hope not, he's my big money purchase in the fantasy league! I'm expecting him to finally start pulling a shift for Germany.

Back