• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

I wouldn't mind someone out of the blue that doesn't cost a fortune, but adds quality to the squad. Surely there's a bargain to be had somewhere?

Dont think it will b a bargain though, every club in Europe knows we're desperate and have the cash...

Thank fudge Dembele had a £15m buy out clause or Levy would still be haggling

The anonymous rumour about AVB and Levy is likely rubbish (even if I believe it is normal to have friction and disagreements in stressful periods) but I wonder how many people would have predicted this last-day transfer window situation when Levy sacked Harry and then appointed AVB? Some posters may be continually negative but others have selective memories and are apologists for pretty much anything. At end of the day most of this is discussion, none of us know the real truth. But if we are engaged in as many potential transfer deals as is being suggested, then I am not sure that would represent a strategy in the best interests of the club.

Thank fudge Dembele had a £15m buy out clause or Levy would still be haggling

I hear on Twitter that he is trying to knock £47 of the purchase price to cover his cab to Craven Cottage and back

That's a problem all right. But it's not THE problem, in my view. No, the real problem is what happens when it backfires; the selling club decides there's not enough time to replace their star player and holds on to them until January, and Spurs panic-buy Rasiak for a bewildered new manager who was promised the chairman's support in the transfer market.

Again look, I'm not saying "let's splash another 12m" here and there. I'm just saying that there has to be a better way than the deadline-day-dash. It's a high risk strategy that can backfire badly. A truly great chairman would find a compromise between "let's splash another 12m" and "yes Berbatov's gone, but we have Fraizer Campbell on loan instead!"

The problem's not money, per se. We have money - the problem's deciding where to prioritize that money. Let's say we have a 15m pot, and we are determined to spend it. Okay, that's obviously too little for all our plan As, but there's still a TINY smidgen of hope they'll drop their asking prices on the last day, so then we'll hold off with plan Bs and plan Cs waiting in the wings until the last second.

The problem is, the manager hates our plan Bs and Cs. He only wants plan A, which will overpay for the player but the player is guaranteed to be the first player on the team. Plan B is cheaper and what Levy likes - one or two compromise players who are not as good, but not too bad either; and their deals are reasonable, unlike plan A, which will have us haggling until the last millisecond. But the plan B players are not good enough to be better than squad filler, so AVB doesn't even want to play them, which essentially makes them useless. So... should we just bite the bullet and go plan A, which we deprive us of funds we need elsewhere but give us the player AVB wants most? Or plan B, which will shore up the squad at the expense of the AVB's first XI and once again, deprive us of funds for potentially better players? Or plan X - don't spend the money - which may deliver us potentially better players but will also leave us praying and doing this all over again in the next window?

I favor plan A, because it's better to have a player AVB desperately needs than a bunch of players he doesn't want. Both will end up losing money - because Moutinho is probably not worth 30m, and the likes of Remy are going to drop in value once they don't play - but in the former case at least we'll be gaining points. Meanwhile, we honestly do have a lot of deadwood to sell, and can save money on our biggest costs - the wages. This is all of course very subject to uncertainty - it's possible that Moutinho will end up being a big flop over here, while Remy flourishes; I think that's unlikely if there's any correlation between success and technical ability at all, but who knows... football has a habit of surprising you.

Won't load for me care to elaborate on what was said?

Bit on the Lloris statement, neither were clear on whether deal would be done. On VDV one of them said Levy said to Hamburg at start of summer he would be available for around 10m euro but now wanted closer to 18m euro (obvs I am paraphrasing from memory). Also interesting about Remy story in that basically seems clubs are just spinning like crazy, spurs apparently called talksport to make clear we did not bid yet Marseille making all sorts of comments that we did make a bid. Just interesting in terms of how hard it is to know what is really going on.

I hear on Twitter that he is trying to knock £47 of the purchase price to cover his cab to Craven Cottage and back

Better not say 'it wouldn't surprise me' or else unleash cries of 'shame' for daring to believe such things.

From SC ITK:
Who: Mystery

Not posted here or on Twitter for a long time. My contact has been very busy in other financial dealings within the club, not been so much involved in the transfer window.

I did manage to speak to him today, regarding the transfers. Most of this has probably already been put out on forums and by the media, but I'll post it here anyway...

Moutinho - Not only do we want him, AVB feels that we NEED him if we want to progress. He has stressed to DL, that if he wants us to reach the heights he's asking, we need him in the squad, no other player will do. AVB also understands that Porto are asking for a LOT of money for him.
Remy - AVB is telling porkies, we did put a bid in, which was rejected, and since then we have put another bid in, which I do not know if it's been accepted or not.
Lloris - Did NOT have a medical today, neither has a bid been accepted, we are very close on agreeing a fee with them though, however, DL was obviously try to knock a few pennies off.
Bentley - Three EPL clubs interested, but only one could afford his wages, not told who, but he's been told he will be leaving.
Jenas - He has proved his fitness etc throughout pre-season and has generated quite a bit of interested. Norwich seems to be the likely destination though.
Ceballos - As you may be aware, RM were very interested in signing him, but we strongly think he will have a big part to play at THFC.

The future...
We all know by know AVB is a fan of building a project, not only does he beleive we need to buy quality players, he acknowledges the fact that the future is the youth... He is urging DL to invest in a whole new youth scouting system, to bring in the best youth players around.

It's not about going into debt to pay extra - it's about looking at where we're utilizing that money, because we ARE looking to spend that 12m right now. So should we spend 12m to overpay for a player that the manager thinks is the most important signing there is, or should we put that 12m to a player that he doesn't rate? Or should we simply save the 12m and wait for the next window in the hopes that another opportunity will arise?

If we put that 12m towards Remy, AVB is not going to play him, which means 12m+wages down the drain. And I don't blame him, because I don't rate the player either; I would rather see us save that money and wait for the next window.

But seriously, if Moutinho is what is needed for another dozen or so points this season, and we have no good plan B (promising young players who play the same style, but are cheaper and riskier), then I think we should just stump up the cash. And take a long, hard look at our scouting system.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/update-436-mystery-re-bits-bobs.90014/

Moutinho - Not only do we want him, AVB feels that we NEED him if we want to progress. He has stressed to DL, that if he wants us to reach the heights he's asking, we need him in the squad, no other player will do. AVB also understands that Porto are asking for a LOT of money for him.

The future...
We all know by know AVB is a fan of building a project, not only does he beleive we need to buy quality players, he acknowledges the fact that the future is the youth... He is urging DL to invest in a whole new youth scouting system, to bring in the best youth players around.

The Times say we want Sturridge, but Liverpool are ahead of us in the race.

Rose, Jenas and Bentley to leave minimum, maybe a couple more.

Most of press are pessimistic about moves for Willian, lloris, Moutinho etc - I think and hope they will be surprised.

So basically nearly all leads feel near enough dead.
Moutinho
Remy
Lloris
Llorente
Leandro
Willian

Out of those at a stretch Moutinho, but that would also be the most difficult.

Anyone think we will pull out a signing out the blue. Someone whose name we havent even heard mentioned? I'm resigned to not signing anyone, in which case we make sure Rafa definitely stays.

If Ade, Defoe and Kane are injured I suppose we have Dembele, Bale, Sigurddson, and even VDV to consider for the more forward roles. We got some very good players in this squad. Also if Tommy doesn't end up going out on loan I hope the likes of he and Daws are still given a fair crack at proving themselves, even in Europa league games.

Ha ha now apparently we are in for Dempsey - This has got to be a wind up..

akqayid ‏@akqayid
“@Gards44: @akqayid haha u tweet it mate!” Done Clint Dempsey. Us or scum

i am n ot itk on current neggtiations and would have thought AVB is predominately ok with our targets and if AVVB said no strongly we wouldnt go for someone .howevver i am merely telling you what i know about the dynamics of the structure . sherwood has the ultimate call its as simple as that. belive what you will.

Used to be ITK.

Isn't currently.

Can't spell too gud.

:idea:

Harry? Is that you?! :p

Back