• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

Spot on. Professionals but it behind them, move on and act in their employers best interests.

I would also say that disagreements are not always a bad thing. People have reacted like this would mean AVB would walk. Whereas I would be more surprised if they weren't frustrated, stressed and disagreeing during this period.

actually, JJ's insinuated some criticism against Levy for some time. My impression is that he doesn't like him. I think he must be relatively high up - they can knock Dragon1 because Dragon1's just some random who pals around with the players, but JJ/JJ's source is not employed by THFC.

fair enough. Although I still can't believe AVB would throw his toys out of the pram about not getting Moutinho. He said himself in the press conference that he would be extremely difficult for spurs to get as his release clause is £40m and you can't expect a club to sell a player for half-price and half-price is already more than Spurs record transfer. He's an intelligent guy, he knows it would be a big ask for the club and would quite likely not be able to happen!

If they've had a disagreement about something, i wouldn't have thought it would be moutinho. I would think it would more likely be that Levy tried to talk him into getting Remy over Willian or other targets or something along those lines.

Can someone give me a list of what this jjetset bloke has got right regarding transfers?

Nelsen and Saha in January, Saudi Sportswashing Machine as our opening fixture day before release, Lascelles two days before the media (he got a new deal at Forest when they got new owners). Probably more.

Problem is that he keeps answering questions on twitter and it's too much of his own opinions mixed in with any info. He also only seem to get info from the Tottenham side, which again makes him look stupid when he's being too adamant in his statements.

want to bet that we will have Mautinho or Willain gift wrapped for him this time tomorrow?

Dembele was a good buy, AVB knows football, even if that it was pitched to him to sign him, it would have been stupid to turn it down.

even though that maybe, and that´s a very fudging remote looking maybe, do you honestly think that we will let this window go without buying any of our new manager´s targets? REALLY?? SERIOUSLY??

I hope you're right. I've held exactly the same opinion ever since AVB got the job. Levy would surely have promised to back him to the hilt in the transfer market, right? But I simply don't understand the rationale of waiting until the last day, I really don't. Quite aside from the fact that you don't have a settled squad until two or three games into the season, this kind of brinkmanship is more likely to backfire than pay off (for every VDV there's a Rasiak and a Fraizer Campbell). I understand that the financial savings might be in the millions and only an idiot suggests that's completely irrelevant. But when you weigh it up against the potential losses that being a single point worse can lead to at the end of the season...? It just doesn't make sense from a risk/reward standpoint.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the way Levy runs the club and of the progress he's making on the new stadium. But the way he conducts his transfer strategy isn't just bad for Spurs in a football sense, it's bad business all round in my view. If AVB identified Moutinho as his primary target, then Levy should have moved heaven and earth to make sure Moutinho was on the bloody plane out to America for the pre-season tour, not "maybe" getting him with 10 minutes to spare before the window closes. It might end up costing a couple of million extra - not to be sniffed at - but it equally might turn out to be the difference between fourth and fifth next season, a loss of way more than a couple of million.

As I say, this isn't some 'Levy out' rant. I think he's doing a great job overall. I just don't think his transfer strategy is working and he needs to fix it.

(and I'll still feel the same even if we bring in Lloris, Llorente, Moutinho and Willian tomorrow - it's too great a risk)

Thing is, i have disagreements at work all the time. Infact, sometimes I get fudging right fudged off with colleagues about major decisions. I'm sure AVB and Levy and Sherwood and others will have disagreements. My impression of JJetSet is he likes to exaggerate, as he seems to get some info, but then it seems to fall flat on his arse too often through exaggeration, i.e. his world-class signing imminent comment, which turned to better than Kranjcar, worse than Sandro, to its all fallen through. What probably happened is he heard we had a bid put in for a player, but it was rejected and we didn't pursue it. He decided to exagerate his info. Same as when he posted about a Brazilian superstar signing, then next day said Damiao had fallen through. He probably got some wind of a disagreement in transfer targets and turned that into a falling out. it probably wasn't, it was probably along the lines of do you want Remy? No, I want Willian. Yeah but Remy is cheaper. Yeah, but Wiliian is better for my team. Wouldnt be surprised if Levy did make enquiries about Remy, but there was a disagreement which could see us go back in for Willian tomorrow. You just don't know.

I completely agree disagreements are common in the work place.

As you say, it is a WORKPLACE and not a bloody PLAYGROUND. If there was a disagreement (something there is no evidence for bar an anonymous teletext) I suspect it was nothing like handbags and toys being thrown around - rather a disagreement which would have then been resolved.

As an aside Im frankly appalled at the number of people jumping on this with relish "I believe that" "Doesnt surprise me" "That makes sense". Shame on you all.

You know about 5% of what is going on right now, same as me - just as it should be. Filling in the gaps with spurious rumour doesnt "make sense" at all. And the fact so many are so enthusiastic to jump on the idea of a rift within the management of our club is astonishing.

As you say, it is a WORKPLACE and not a bloody PLAYGROUND. If there was a disagreement (something there is no evidence for bar an anonymous teletext) I suspect it was nothing like handbags and toys being thrown around - rather a disagreement which would have then been resolved.

As an aside Im frankly appalled at the number of people jumping on this with relish "I believe that" "Doesnt surprise me" "That makes sense". Shame on you all.

You know about 5% of what is going on right now, same as me - just as it should be. Filling in the gaps with spurious rumour doesnt "make sense" at all. And the fact so many are so enthusiastic to jump on the idea of a rift within the management of our club is astonishing.

This entire transfer window has been about finding the downside to everything.

I would also say that disagreements are not always a bad thing. People have reacted like this would mean AVB would walk. Whereas I would be more surprised if they weren't frustrated, stressed and disagreeing during this period.

I agree, creative tension can be good. I love it and rarely take professional disagreements personally.

Can someone give me a list of what this jjetset bloke has got right regarding transfers?

JJetset has become a twitter q&a, he hasn't actually brought any info to the table since going over to twitter. Just answers questions as "Yes" or "No" or "sounds right, that's pretty good". SC seem to think he is the messiah - if he says something isn't happening then it isn't (e.g. Lloris to Spurs)

I hope you're right. I've held exactly the same opinion ever since AVB got the job. Levy would surely have promised to back him to the hilt in the transfer market, right? But I simply don't understand the rationale of waiting until the last day, I really don't. Quite aside from the fact that you don't have a settled squad until two or three games into the season, this kind of brinkmanship is more likely to backfire than pay off (for every VDV there's a Rasiak and a Fraizer Campbell). I understand that the financial savings might be in the millions and only an idiot suggests that's completely irrelevant. But when you weigh it up against the potential losses that being a single point worse can lead to at the end of the season...? It just doesn't make sense from a risk/reward standpoint.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the way Levy runs the club and of the progress he's making on the new stadium. But the way he conducts his transfer strategy isn't just bad for Spurs in a football sense, it's bad business all round in my view. If AVB identified Moutinho as his primary target, then Levy should have moved heaven and earth to make sure Moutinho was on the bloody plane out to America for the pre-season tour, not "maybe" getting him with 10 minutes to spare before the window closes. It might end up costing a couple of million extra - not to be sniffed at - but it equally might turn out to be the difference between fourth and fifth next season, a loss of way more than a couple of million.

As I say, this isn't some 'Levy out' rant. I think he's doing a great job overall. I just don't think his transfer strategy is working and he needs to fix it.

(and I'll still feel the same even if we bring in Lloris, Llorente, Moutinho and Willian tomorrow - it's too great a risk)

We have several times in the last few years identified targets early and almost got them (Mata, Hazard, Oscar and others), only to be gazumped by moneybags Chelsea and City. The players that we are targetting now will also attract attention from top clubs, like Dembele was wanted by ManU, and we need to move quickly to get them in. Go in too soon and both club and player will try and drag it out to get more clubs interested.

I agree, creative tension can be good. I love it and rarely take professional disagreements personally.

Exactly, part of working as a team is thrashing things out. A good team is a team that will disagree and have strong opinions and won't easily back down. The good thing is that we don't have 'yes-men'. We have strong intelligent people at the top of our club who are head-strong and passionate about doing what they think is best for the club and team. That will always lead to some fireworks, but i'd rather that than the alternative.

Now confirmed, both parts meeting tomorrow for the uefa draw. 12pm is the draw.

Aulas, lyon chairman, already in Monaco tonight.

Great post, sums it up. Too many people make up their minds on such a minute amount of information and decide they're experts.

I'm not worried about AVB walking just yet. But I think people are worried that we don't seem to be buying AVB's targets, when it would be very surprising if AVB were not guaranteed or assured of certain buys when he took this job. When we took on AVB we gave him the mission of creating a certain vision, but we haven't given him the tools to do so. Vertonghen and Siggy were deals struck up before he came here, and while AVB has approved them I would actually be surprised if AVB is that pleased with them or Dembele and Lloris (not ITK; my impression of the players is that they don't fit his ideal system, primarily due to key issues with ball circulation and intelligence). These are good signings, maybe even glamour signings, but they are not HIS signings.

And if we keep wasting money on the likes of Remy and more plan C signings the manager doesn't like, then we will simply not have enough for AVB's sine qua non. I'm not saying that managers are allowed to just demand players willynilly regardless of their price, but think about how Remy's value will plummet if AVB doesn't play him. That's 15m down the drain, so why not just put that 15m towards a player that AVB actually does want, and actually will play a critical role in our team? Even if 30m is overpaying for Moutinho by about 12m or so, that's far better than paying 15m for players that the manager doesn't want. It's not like Moutinho is old and on a massive salary either.

I just don't get it. :(

As I've already posted once tonight, I'm feeling (not that you give a damn about what I'm feeling, I know) that if we fudge this window up then we are seriously fudged and AVB will be lucky to last until the end of the season. Tomorrow is going to be a very important day imo.

24 hours from now things will hopefully be a bit clearer.

I love that people are able to just say "let's splash another 12m to get player X" - thank Christ our club isn't run by fans.

We have several times in the last few years identified targets early and almost got them (Mata, Hazard, Oscar and others), only to be gazumped by moneybags Chelsea and City. The players that we are targetting now will also attract attention from top clubs, like Dembele was wanted by ManU, and we need to move quickly to get them in. Go in too soon and both club and player will try and drag it out to get more clubs interested.
I'm not saying that buying Moutinho 6 weeks ago would have been an easy thing for the club to do, but there has to be a better way than waiting until the final day and hoping the seller gets desperate. And Levy needs to work out what that better way might be. Because his transfer strategy is his biggest flaw (in fact, it's his only major flaw as a chairman in my view).

Back