• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

I love that people are able to just say "let's splash another £12m to get player X" - thank Christ our club isn't run by fans.

Wonder if some of them complain about tickets being a rip-off?

Immature ? Naive ? Stupid ? Gullable ? I cannot believe some of the BS I have read on here over the last few days.

All ITKs know feck all

Levy is doing what is right for the club - personally and business / professionally. How do we not know that Lyon are not trying to screw us for a few more million ?

Why do some on here immediately say oh it must be bad Daniel screwing Lyon.

Grow up boys - smell the coffee - dont believe the BS and have some trust.

Discuss - Yes

But dont act as if you are ITK or playing FM or CM and acting as if you know more or better than Levy or AVB.

I have supported Spurs for nearly 50 years and never believe the hype until Tottenham Hotspur FC confirm something.

Oh and by the way for those that remember Goonbasher from days of old, this is me. And The Welsh Wizard ? Is not Gareth Bale but the original one Cliff Jones.

I think some are protesting too much. Believing it is possible that AVB and Levy might have had a falling out at the most critical point in the transfer window is not a stretch in my opinon. Most major organizations, particularly those under stress, will often exist and operate with tension and disagreement. Managers/Coaches and Chairmen want to move the club forward but that does not mean they will always agree on how best to drive that progression. After all they have very different roles and responsibilities, and very different pressures to navigate. That we could have a large number of deals in the air tomorrow is also indication that this is hardly an ideal scenario, and thus ideal options may not be realised (as we have seen in the past). Thus, the true test will come once this sorry (stupidly scheduled) window has finally closed.

I'm not saying that buying Moutinho 6 weeks ago would have been an easy thing for the club to do, but there has to be a better way than waiting until the final day and hoping the seller gets desperate. And Levy needs to work out what that better way might be. Because his transfer strategy is his biggest flaw (in fact, it's his only major flaw as a chairman in my view).

If he somehow manage to shave a couple of millions of each deal and avoid them being snapped up by others he has done a great job really. With wages saved that is a considerable amount in the end. The problem is that the season starts before the window closes, that really needs to be dealt with.

Thank GHod I'm not working tomorrow as my productivity was not good today...On my stag do instead \o/ Spurs will still find a way to distract it though...with a big signing [-o<

The thing is.... Don't we still have money from when we were in the CL? We haven't exactly spent much!

Anyone think they'll be a major surprise and we'll sign someone not previously mentioned in this thread? Clint Dempsey perhaps?

I completely agree disagreements are common in the work place.

As you say, it is a WORKPLACE and not a bloody PLAYGROUND. If there was a disagreement (something there is no evidence for bar an anonymous teletext) I suspect it was nothing like handbags and toys being thrown around - rather a disagreement which would have then been resolved.

As an aside Im frankly appalled at the number of people jumping on this with relish "I believe that" "Doesnt surprise me" "That makes sense". Shame on you all.

You know about 5% of what is going on right now, same as me - just as it should be. Filling in the gaps with spurious rumour doesnt "make sense" at all. And the fact so many are so enthusiastic to jump on the idea of a rift within the management of our club is astonishing.

Fantastic post.

It's a cauldron of pressure in a club like Tottenham right now with multi-million pound deals (plural) in the balance, each of which has the potential to make or break our season if it goes right or wrong. The situations can change within a 10 minute period and the scrutiny is intense from so many people who know so little.

Within that, if someone has a moment when they let their emotions a bit out of check and a few people see it...so what?

As I've already posted once tonight, I'm feeling (not that you give a damn about what I'm feeling, I know) that if we fudge this window up then we are seriously fudged and AVB will be lucky to last until the end of the season. Tomorrow is going to be a very important day imo.

The squad we have is more than capable of finishing in the top 6 and so if AVB does end up in that situation with the squad with no further additions it would be largely down to him. It would be dissapointing not to have given him everything he wanted, but which manager other than Mancini (and even he has reportedly been fudged off with City's market dealings) gets everything they want?

Bale.......Ade......Lennon

.............VDV

.....Sandro...Dembele

BAE..Verts..Kabs...Walker

...........Freidel

Then you've got Defoe, Sigurdsson, Daws, Caulker, Parker, Naughton, Gallas, Gomes, Cudicini, Townsend, Hudd, Livermore to come into the mix plus more - if you can't do well with that then i'm sorry - its not down to the club.

I love that people are able to just say "let's splash another 12m to get player X" - thank Christ our club isn't run by fans.

It's not about going into debt to pay extra - it's about looking at where we're utilizing that money, because we ARE looking to spend that 12m right now. So should we spend 12m to overpay for a player that the manager thinks is the most important signing there is, or should we put that 12m to a player that he doesn't rate? Or should we simply save the 12m and wait for the next window in the hopes that another opportunity will arise?

If we put that 12m towards Remy, AVB is not going to play him, which means 12m+wages down the drain. And I don't blame him, because I don't rate the player either; I would rather see us save that money and wait for the next window.

But seriously, if Moutinho is what is needed for another dozen or so points this season, and we have no good plan B (promising young players who play the same style, but are cheaper and riskier), then I think we should just stump up the cash. And take a long, hard look at our scouting system.

The thing is.... Don't we still have money from when we were in the CL? We haven't exactly spent much!

A lot of it went on bonuses to the players. We have increased our wages over the last few years and with the stadium and training centre there might not be that much to spend.

Anyone think they'll be a major surprise and we'll sign someone not previously mentioned in this thread? Clint Dempsey perhaps?

I wouldn't mind someone out of the blue that doesn't cost a fortune, but adds quality to the squad. Surely there's a bargain to be had somewhere?

If he somehow manage to shave a couple of millions of each deal and avoid them being snapped up by others he has done a great job really. With wages saved that is a considerable amount in the end. The problem is that the season starts before the window closes, that really needs to be dealt with.

That's a problem all right. But it's not THE problem, in my view. No, the real problem is what happens when it backfires; the selling club decides there's not enough time to replace their star player and holds on to them until January, and Spurs panic-buy Rasiak for a bewildered new manager who was promised the chairman's support in the transfer market.

Again look, I'm not saying "let's splash another 12m" here and there. I'm just saying that there has to be a better way than the deadline-day-dash. It's a high risk strategy that can backfire badly. A truly great chairman would find a compromise between "let's splash another 12m" and "yes Berbatov's gone, but we have Fraizer Campbell on loan instead!"

A lot of it went on bonuses to the players. We have increased our wages over the last few years and with the stadium and training centre there might not be that much to spend.

More like ALL of it. Iirc we made less than half a million in net profit after wage increases were taken into account during the CL season.

Consistent CL is good for attracting a higher calibre of players, and would add more to our sponsorship deals, but financially it's not that great when you think about our wage bill. We need the stadium.

We are a big club and have loans available to us, and will always make funds available if we see the right bargain in terms of both fees, wages and sell-on value.

E.g. A fading star like Kaka for really cheap, but huge wages and no sell-on in 4 years would not be a go-er
But Messi for £45m with £180kpw wages = yes, of course we would find the money for that, even though it smashes our fee and wage barrier

It is all about the VALUE not the COST

Hence trying to drive bargains all the time for any player that will improve our squad and represents value (be that in terms of current cost or sell-on or a mixture)

Having said all that, we have spent a net bugger all so far this window so if Levy is really backing the new coach, we need to really splash some cash tomorrow or we haven't moved 'net forward'

Back