• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

Sorry if asked before, but...why OH WHY are we trying to sign M'Villa?

With Sandro and Scott Parker at the club surely £12-15M spent on him would be a waste of money considering that we need to replace Modric, buy another striker and possibly get cover for Bale/Lennon?

I'm confused!

Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

With Sandro and Scott Parker at the club surely £12-15M spent on him would be a waste of money considering that we need to replace Modric, buy another striker and possibly get cover for Bale/Lennon?

I'm confused!

In all likelihood we're not.

I'm confused!
I think the consensus around here, particularly of people who make baseless conjectures (including me), is that M'Vila has more to him than just a defensive role. I think the feeling is that Parker is older and one-dimensional, while M'Vila is widely regarded as the best young DM in the world. Seems like the type of move that says, hey, if you can get the best talent available, you just do it and try to make things work.

We already have the best young DM in the world :)

I do think M'Villa is more than just a defensive player. The other consideration is his age, and the extent to which he might offer good potential value in the future. But increasingly I doubt we will seriously target him, may be wrong but I think other priorities are probably driving our activity right now.

Last edited:

I'm confused!

He got to 17/20 in creativity on my FM game, so he's clearly a perfect replacement for Modric. That's why. :)

Moutinho and Leandro are the two I really want.

Don't think Dembele or M'Villa are what we need.

Willian and Lloris would be nice bonuses, but not essential (compared to replacing Modric and getting cover/competition for Ade).

Andre Villas-Boas, the Tottenham manager, is keen to add Brazilian playmaker Willian and talks are at an advanced stage with Shakhtar Donetsk, who are hoping for as much as £20 million. An initial offer of around £12 million is already understood to have been rejected but it appeared significant that Willian was omitted from Shakhtar’s league game against Karpaty Lvov on Sunday, with coach Mircea Lucescu suggesting that the 24 year-old was not in the right frame of mind.

“Does any of you believe that in his current situation his head produces thoughts in the direction of right thinking?” Lucescu said.

“I wouldn’t like him to play and suffer an injury but this could happen. He will have some rest, and then we will see what to do. We have a week before the transfer window closes, during which, perhaps, everything will be solved.”

Tottenham, though, are also continuing to line up other options, including Fulham’s Moussa Dembélé, with David Bentley or Jermaine Jenas potential makeweights in a deal that could be worth around £15 million.

Goalkeeper is another area that Villas-Boas would like to strengthen and he retains serious interest both in Hugo Lloris, the France captain, and Birmingham City’s Jack Butland.

Jean-Michel Aulas, the Lyon president, said yesterday that the situation was now in the hands of Lloris, suggesting that there was agreement with Tottenham on a £12 million fee. The sticking point, however, could be Lloris’s desire for Champions League football.

“The sale of Modric from Tottenham to Madrid is important, as is the amount of the transfer,” said Aulas. “It’s true that on Sunday we had a lot of contact with [Tottenham chairman] Daniel Levy. Things progressed during these talks, both qualitatively and quantitatively, but nothing’s concrete yet.

“I’ve informed Hugo of these discussions. We’ll have to be a bit patient to find out. The decision belongs to Hugo, who, I think, will be approached by Tottenham soon. The clubs’ positions have moved closer together.”

Tottenham are also continuing to monitor their central midfield options, with Rennes’ Yann M’Vila still on the list of potential targets. According to Rennes, Tottenham have made one bid – understood to be around £12 million – but there has been no further progress in negotiations.

Rennes are willing to sell M’Vila but they would expect an offer in excess of £15 million. Villas-Boas would ideally like another more creative central midfielder but, with Scott Parker still unavailable, a renewed bid for M’Vila does remain possible.

Joao Moutinho had been Villas-Boas’s preferred choice but Porto’s asking price is well beyond what Tottenham would be willing to pay.

An inquiry has also been made for Russia’s attacking midfielder Alan Dzagoev, who was one of the emerging stars of euro 2012 with his three goals in the tournament.

Dzagoev’s father and agent claimed that there had been an offer from Tottenham earlier in the transfer window and it is understood that there has been renewed interest over the past week.

The problem for Tottenham, however, would be the asking price from CSKA Moscow for their 22 year-old of around £20 million.

Adding another forward is also regarded as less of a priority than reinforcing the midfield, with Villas-Boas minded to start the season with Emmanuel Adebayor, Jermain Defoe and Harry Kane as his three options. An inquiry for International’s Leandro Damiao has also stalled over the cost of the deal.

While Tottenham clearly do not expect to secure all of their potential targets, club sources are expecting a “busy” conclusion to the summer transfer window and two or three new signings. Levy is renowned for his late deals and, with just four days until the summer window shuts, it is a familiar strategy for him to have so many “irons in the fire”.

The Modric money is available for reinvestment in a squad who have stuttered to just one point from their opening two matches this season against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and West Bromwich Albion.

Villas-Boas has repeatedly stressed that he does not want to implement dramatic changes and it is the signings of Willian and Lloris that appear most attainable.

Players are also still likely to leave, although Michael Dawson has turned down the chance of moving to Queens Parks Rangers and Tom Huddlestone’s prospective move to Stoke City has stalled. Tottenham’s desire to keep Rafael van der Vaart could also be tested by a late bid from Hamburg.

After completing his medical on Monday Modric, who has signed a five-year deal, said: “When I heard Madrid noticed me, the rest lost interest. This is the best club in the world, with the best coach, the best players. Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Ángel di María, Gonzalo Higuaín, Mesut Özil, Xabi Alonso – I look forward to playing with them.”

Although there will be no repeat of their dramatic dash for signings last summer, Arsenal are still hoping to add to their squad before the transfer window closes on Friday.

They are likely to make a bid for Montpellier captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa who, while primarily a centre-back, could provide cover across the defence. There has also been interest in Caen’s 17-year-old forward M’Baye Niang, although he was on the brink of joining AC Milan on Monday night.

Arsène Wenger will also look to add a defensive midfielder to cover for the sale of Alex Song.

Spurs' shopping list

Willian
Potential cost: £18m
Brazilian playmaker who is currently based in Ukraine with Shakhtar Donetsk. Willian was also the subject of strong interest last summer from Chelsea.

Moussa Dembele
Potential cost: £15m
Fulham midfielder who can also operate as a second striker. Martin Jol has warned that he will not be sold cheaply but Tottenham could offer David Bentley or Jermaine Jenas as part of the deal.

Yann M’Vila
Potential cost: 15m
Regarded among the best young holding midfielders in Europe and was of serious interest to Arsenal, although there have been concerns at his off-field behaviour. Rennes are willing to sell this summer if their valuation is matched.

Alan Dzagoev
Potential cost: £20m
One of the young stars of euro 2012 after his three goals in three matches before Russia’s elimination. Can play as a striker or midfielder. Highly valued by CSKA Moscow and would demand a considerable transfer fee.

Hugo Lloris
Potential cost: £12m
The France captain and regarded among the best goalkeepers in the world. Lyon are keen to bring in some money but Lloris would prefer a Champions League club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ter-Luka-Modrics-33m-exit-to-Real-Madrid.html

Lloris, Willian, Dembele would be good business. Then sell Defoe and hopefully bring in another striker.

Moutinho and Leandro are the two I really want.

Don't think Dembele or M'Villa are what we need.

Willian and Lloris would be nice bonuses, but not essential (compared to replacing Modric and getting cover/competition for Ade).

May as well forget about Damiao, it's not happening.

May as well forget about Damiao, it's not happening.

It's all posturing at this time of the window, so still might. Inter seem to have already bought a lot of forwards to replace him and we don't appear to have a plan b in the striking department.

I would like us to get another striker in, don't know about anyone else but scoring goals is something which currently concerns me?

so he is as good now as he was 5 ears ago? i think perhaps he could leave his 6 yard box then...to sugggest he was one of the best last year is utter nonsense. in some ways ggomes is better but sadly his clanggers became unforgivable.
friedl is ok but not ood enough its as simple as that..and thankfully now finally levy seems prepared to solve the problem.
you can paint whatever you want but the thread i replied to was someone sayingg his attitude was classy...when someone gets an opportunity in life they a) didnt think they would get b) fulfillingg their dream for an extended period c)know in their heart of hearts such a big club should have someone better...they will tend to have a good attitude .

I think you're being a bit harsh on Old Man Friedel there fella. Don't think there's any argument as to the limitations to his game. He's always stuck to his line (or spot, as in WBA's equaliser last week), but to accuse him of having a bad attitude is off the mark, especially when compared to your usual money-grabbing football-playing bastard, some of whom used to play for this club.

Brad was a huge stabilising influence in defence last season and a big improvement on Poor, Crazy Gomes. Despite all this, he is gracious enough to realise that (a) he may have to step aside to make way for a younger, more athletic keeper this season, but is also (b) happy to stay as second string for the benefit of the club. Even (a), let alone (b) is the definition of class if you ask me.

Also, I think the G key might be stuck on your keyboard. Might want to give it a quick scrub for biscuit residue or summat.

Why the strangely precise figure, as? Why exactly 84? Just something that nags at me when I look at it.

if you notice it went from 80 % to 84 now

i am certain that we wil get dembele provided some issues get ironed out. the player likes london , likes the direction this club is going, is fully aware that he will be initially having to secure his place for the starting line up

we like him and he is a cheaper option though not our number one

as the transfer deadline closes in and we dont get a modric replacement the more certain i am that we will pull the trigger on this deal

the issue is that AVB would rather have pivot playmaker or a playmaker that can orchestrAte from deep and also be a midfield general.......but all the options that are good enough are proving to expensive. He is willing to settle for a box to box player that is premiership proven . Levy likes the potential sell on value and low risk factor

dembele is ours.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Old Man Friedel there fella. Don't think there's any argument as to the limitations to his game. He's always stuck to his line (or spot, as in WBA's equaliser last week), but to accuse him of having a bad attitude is off the mark, especially when compared to your usual money-grabbing football-playing bastard, some of whom used to play for this club.

Brad was a huge stabilising influence in defence last season and a big improvement on Poor, Crazy Gomes. Despite all this, he is gracious enough to realise that (a) he may have to step aside to make way for a younger, more athletic keeper this season, but is also (b) happy to stay as second string for the benefit of the club. Even (a), let alone (b) is the definition of class if you ask me.

Also, I think the G key might be stuck on your keyboard. Might want to give it a quick scrub for biscuit residue or summat.
It's not biscuit residue

so he is as good now as he was 5 ears ago? i think perhaps he could leave his 6 yard box then...to sugggest he was one of the best last year is utter nonsense. in some ways ggomes is better but sadly his clanggers became unforgivable.
friedl is ok but not ood enough its as simple as that..and thankfully now finally levy seems prepared to solve the problem.
you can paint whatever you want but the thread i replied to was someone sayingg his attitude was classy...when someone gets an opportunity in life they a) didnt think they would get b) fulfillingg their dream for an extended period c)know in their heart of hearts such a big club should have someone better...they will tend to have a good attitude .

The WUM quota on this board was reached many moons ago, I think you should drag your sorry ass somewhere else.

Dembele is okay esp if he's genuinely only 15m, but he needs to be bought alongside Isco. We're desperate for creativity in this team...someone like Cazorla, Kagawa, Hazard, AND a deep playmaker. But given the rarity of the latter, we may as well go for creativity in AM instead. I don't understand why we couldn't have just picked up someone like Michu instead of desperately chasing a player who we already know we can't afford. This whole Moutinho saga just leaves me shaking my head. Or if AVB is *that* desperate for Moutinho, then take a hit on the likes of Jenas, Bentley, Gio et al and at least get their wages off our books to pay that extra 10m.

Dembele is okay esp if he's genuinely only 15m, but he needs to be bought alongside Isco. We're desperate for creativity in this team...someone like Cazorla, Kagawa, Hazard, AND a deep playmaker. But given the rarity of the latter, we may as well go for creativity in AM instead. I don't understand why we couldn't have just picked up someone like Michu instead of desperately chasing a player who we already know we can't afford. This whole Moutinho saga just leaves me shaking my head. Or if AVB is *that* desperate for Moutinho, then take a hit on the likes of Jenas, Bentley, Gio et al and at least get their wages off our books to pay that extra 10m.

Dembele would be ok for £8m, but he's a Huddlestone replacement, not a Modric replacement.

Moutinho is worth the cash IMO. He's a whole different level - as near as possible to Modric as we can hope for.

Back