• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

This is how we felt when we got CL football for the first time and all we got was Steven Pienaar and Bongani Khumalo, ok ok we fluked VDV at the last minute too, but still.

This is how I felt when we got CL for the second time under Sir Bobby Robson.

Our only incoming transfer that summer was Lee Bowyer, on a free.

We lost to Partizan Belgrade in the qualifier.

Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

Quite, not only that but Chelsea did a deal with him rapidly. He may be difficult, but then he doesn't need to sell Leandro. Besides which our chairman is hardly renowned for being easy to deal with.

Chelsea probably did the deal for Oscar quickly because the Inter chairman said he wanted £xx million and RA said 'ok, heres the cash'. Whereas Levy is exactly known for stumping up asking prices.

Chelsea probably did the deal for Oscar quickly because the Inter chairman said he wanted £xx million and RA said 'ok, heres the cash'. Whereas Levy is exactly known for stumping up asking prices.

You make a good point, but all the more reason not to simplistically attack the Inter chairman. He has made his money for the club this year, doesn't need to sell again this window. The Leandro deal reminds me of the Diego case a few years back. Lots of links, rumours and press statements but ultimately did not happen.

now you're blaming freidel for long balls. didnt you blame dawson and harry in the past?

Blame Dawson? No. He's a poor passer and I can see why he's being moved on. Hopefully the same with Friedel - just a poor passer who doesn't fit our tactics.

As for blaming Harry, he's the one who bought a keeper who can't pass - it was clearly not a priority of his.

Afellay whilst a good player is more in the pass and move player. I think what AVB wants is more of a dribbler so that we have better/more varied options.

I have to say I agree, we need someone who can just ghost past a player, or produce a bit of trickery in those tight games.

I wouldn't be against afellay though.

Exactly and nor should he. We're not playing FM on cheat mode like some other clubs, paying the asking price for Oscar / Leandro might well mean we couldn't afford a Lloris, Sigurdsson or Vertonghen.

That should have been a pm tbh. I'll answer via pm if you really want an answer but me answering on here will derail this thread even more (i'm currently very intrerested in reading how exactly Gomes is so good but Friedel is so bad).

If you question how this board is moderated in a thread, we are more than within our rights to reply in thread.

Exactly and nor should he. We're not playing FM on cheat mode like some other clubs, paying the asking price for Oscar / Leandro might well mean we couldn't afford a Lloris, Sigurdsson or Vertonghen.

Thats just it, with Roman's piles of cash he probably can't be bothered to haggle and enjoys throwing his money about. Us being a properly run club, have to haggle to get the best deal possible.

Tottenham’s first choice goalkeeper from last season says that he knows Spurs have other long term plans but that he still expects to stay on for another campaign. Brad Friedel signed on a two year deal last summer and stated that he is happy to see new arrivals.

“We will welcome any good addition to the squad,” said the American international.

“When I first signed here, there was no secret Tottenham would one day need a new long-term goalkeeper. I am 41, this could be my final season.

“I will do whatever asked of me, whether that is number one, two or three and will do it to the best of my ability.

“When you get older, it is easier to realise this is a team sport and the egos have to take a back seat if you want to be successful.”

There’s been plenty of speculation concerning a deal for French international Hugo Lloris and Brad has probably been around long enough to understand the club’s intentions if this happens. From his comments however, it seems as if he may be happy to hang around as the deputy and that could also be a good option for the club.

http://www.tottenhamblog.com/2012/07/12/friedel-expects-another-season/

Model pro indeed, an incredibly classy guy IMO.
Fair play, it's a squad game - and if we sign a new 'keeper and he goes down we'll need the likes of Friedel. I said it at the beginning of the summer, but I think it would be good to keep Friedel around (should we sign a new 'keeper) in order to bring his replacement through. Say we do sign Lloris, I'm sure Brad will have words of advice for him in terms of adapting to the physicality of the league and to help his mental mindset etc.

Friedel is 41 and knows that he won't be playing football much longer. But it's great to see such a positive influence like him around the club, it can only be good for team morale.

Friedel's the classiest player we have at the club. Dedicated, humble and devoid of the egotism that so many modern players have in truckloads.

I don't know if that's because of his age or simply because he's learnt to be that way, but he sets an example most of our younger lads would do well to follow.

Friedel's the classiest player we have at the club. Dedicated, humble and devoid of the egotism that so many modern players have in truckloads.

I don't know if that's because of his age or simply because he's learnt to be that way, but he sets an example most of our younger lads would do well to follow.

100% agree. has always come across as a real professional

akqayid ‏@akqayid
Gomes returning to PSV

that's good news for all concerned if true. Hope he finds his form again, still relatively young for a GK.

Also hints at getting a new GK in which is also good news, as much as I respect Friedel as a gK and a bloke, he's 41, time to move on.

he might well be a nice guy and professional but I personally dont see it as "classy". he is a 41 year old who is 75% max of his best and is playing for one of the best clubs in arguably the most prestigious league in the world. he has no business being our first choice keeper and my take is that he is just grateful for being so fortunate. he probably cant belive that a club like us found ourselves in such a mess spending millions on a brazilian buffoon who no one wants anywhere near the price we paid and therefore needed a supposed safe pair of hands....he knows it must come to an end.

that's good news for all concerned if true. Hope he finds his form again, still relatively young for a GK.

And also hopefully signals that Lloris is coming. Cudicini is essentially finished so would be surprised if we let Gomes go without another coming in

And also hopefully signals that Lloris is coming. Cudicini is essentially finished so would be surprised if we let Gomes go without another coming in

Not essential though? Friedel would be fine as cover for the season if Lloris came in?

I seem to have missed the part were anyone claiming to be ITK were obligated by law to only be correct. Sometimes they exaggerate, sometimes they add opinion and sometimes the info is wrong. Nobody is forcing anyone to read it or even believe in it, it's just additional rumours to what's in the media. Anyone with half a brain should be able to take it for what it is (rumours, third hand info or obvious lies) or just ignore it if they don't care for it.

Is that a done deal, or your opinion ?

Not essential though? Friedel would be fine as cover for the season if Lloris came in?

but having 3 keepers each earning say 50k - 60k per week un-necessary. So shipping Gomes out and having Freidel and Lloris as our first choices would work well. Just need to find someone to take CC!!!

Back