• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sell on value is one thing but the value to the team in terms of playing ability, and his marketing draw would cover the outlay. Sometimes you have to take a gamble. Playing safe all the time is Levy's MO but every now and then you have to excite the fans with a transfer. The payback will come in other ways.

I agree. As for Chelsea/Modric the only danger is that it delays the resolution even more and thus affects incoming transfers/replacement.

Its empty. I really dont think we have the money available

There's no pot of gold but the I believe the reason that Levy has been so frugal over the last few years is solely down to the 100mil+ that has been spent on the NDP and training ground. If the stadium build kicks off you'd have to think this will be funded by sponsorship rather than from the club's coffers.
I think the money will be made available for the right player(s). The rejected bids reported in the media tell me we are working on getting players in but it's just not happening, for whatever reasons. I still have faith that we'll see a few transfers closer to the transfer deadline in true Spurs fashion.

There's no pot of gold but the I believe the reason that Levy has been so frugal over the last few years is solely down to the 100mil+ that has been spent on the NDP and training ground. If the stadium build kicks off you'd have to think this will be funded by sponsorship rather than from the club's coffers.
I think the money will be made available for the right player(s). The rejected bids reported in the media tell me we are working on getting players in but it's just not happening, for whatever reasons. I still have faith that we'll see a few transfers closer to the transfer deadline in true Spurs fashion.

I did myself, but that faith is waning, rapidly. I'm beginning to think even if we got say £30m for Modric, only half of that would go on transfers, with the rest going into the Stadium fund

Whatever it is I don't think anyone can fault avb for not doing better than redknapp. This season is a transitional one. Levy probably won't risk anything until the new stadium is done.

Whatever it is I don't think anyone can fault avb for not doing better than redknapp. This season is a transitional one. Levy probably won't risk anything until the new stadium is done.

haha nah. I wouldnt fault AVB but I wouldnt have faulted Harry either. But we cant use excuses for one and not for the other and vice versa. I wouldnt blame AVB at all like I didnt blame Harry but what the acid test would be is - can he perform to a similar level as Harry.

Why, what is your beef? ? I know nothing about the guy except that he can play football pretty well and could be good for us.

He has the arrogant strut of a kid that thinks he is the best player in the world, the meanest, the tallest, the fastest, the best. I can imagine him strutting around town dissing people with a bad attitude with 40lbs of jewellery on, thinking he's the King of London when in fact he's just a kid with bling.

This is purely based on his face and posture.

He may be a lovely boy.

He has the arrogant strut of a kid that thinks he is the best player in the world, the meanest, the tallest, the fastest, the best. I can imagine him strutting around town dissing people with a bad attitude with 40lbs of jewellery on, thinking he's the King of London when in fact he's just a kid with bling.

This is purely based on his face and posture.

He may be a lovely boy.

So true

I dont mind arrogance if you have proved it - Ronaldo for one. Sturridge - he misses open goals and penalties - deserves brick

I agree it is transitional (don't we love transitions at spurs!) but I am sure most of us expected when Levy made this very bold decision he would have aided the transition by addressing some of the key areas of weakness. But if you are right about not risking anything until the stadium is done then I'd have kept Harry. The AVB project is risky, but can work so long as he is backed. We cannot afford to regress when those around us are moving forward.

Once again (since it seems to have been overlooked the previous times I posted it!), I don't believe that the prospect of paying for a new stadium is the main reason why we have spent less on transfers over the past year or two.

The main reason is simply that we now have a far higher wage bill.

Fans of other clubs always wondered how Spurs were able to spend as much as they did in the transfer market for a number of years. They assumed that it was because Spurs were being secretly funded by Joe Lewis. Nonsense, of course. The real reason was twofold:

a) because of Spurs' large and loyal fan base and because of the historical strength of the Tottenham Hotspur brand, we have always had significantly higher revenues than any other non Champions League club.

b) because of the incredibly tight rein kept on wages, we had the funds to spend more than most in the transfer market. The policy was abundantly clear.

Spending on player wages and player signings has always been a delicate balancing act. And, as our squad gradually improved, so the priorities changed. It became increasingly important to keep the players that we already had. That means paying far higher wages. And that, in turn, means less money available for new signings.

And until we become a regular Champions League team and / or move into the new stadium, we won't have the money to do both. Something has to give.

Last edited:
Its empty. I really dont think we have the money available

Ins and Outs since Rafa joined 2 years ago:

Ins
Khumalo £1.5m
Pienaar £2.5m
Parker £5.0m
Sigurdsson £6.8m
Vertonghen £9.0m
Falque £Undisclosed (estimate: £1.2m)
Coulibaly £2.0m
Total spent £28.0m

Outs
O'Hara £5.0m
Hutton £3.0m
Pavlyuchenko £8.0m
Corluka £5.5m
Palacios £8.0m
Keane £3.5m
Crouch £12.0m
Kranjcar £5.7m
Pienaar £4.5m
Total outs £55.2m

So we should still have nigh on £30m to spend, having covered Gylfie and Verts, without requiring the Modric money.

The fact we don't seem to have that money is the thing I don't get. I would hope we are not hoping to use player trading surpluses to fund infrastructure projects.

There's also significant outlays in 2008-2010 that needs covering. We spent more than we should in that period to get to where we are today.

My thinking was that one reason that we hadn't spent much over the last two years was that Levy was thinking 'Arry was temporary - their awkward relationship, the court case and the England job coming up after Euro2012. I would also have thought a new manager would have assurances that he had money to spend. So my expectation has been that there would be money for AVB to spend. It does rather look as if its spend what you get from sales and saved salaries.

Apart from the costs associated with the stadium, our wage bill jumped substantially after the CL qualifying season. That and a large squad must have taken its toll on available transfer funds. [Edit: I see Jimmy has made this point in detail] All very disappointing as I think this season will be very competitive for fourth. A late flourish in the transfer window is not impossible, but it doesn't seem that likely from AVB's comments.

An announcement on the stadium would help compensate for the frustration,

Last edited:
There's also significant outlays in 2008-2010 that needs covering. We spent more than we should in that period to get to where we are today.

Sort of this. With transfers in/out you can't decide anything more then two years ago is insignificant.

Once again (since it seems to have been overlooked the previous times I posted it!), I don't believe that the prospect of paying for a new stadium is the main reason why we have spent less on transfers over the past year or two.

The main reason is simply that we now have a far higher wage bill.

Fans of other clubs always wondered how Spurs were able to spend as much as they did in the transfer market for a number of years. They assumed that it was because Spurs were being secretly funded by Joe Lewis. Nonsense, of course. The real reason was twofold:

a) because of Spurs' large and loyal fan base and because of the historical strength of the Tottenham Hotspur brand, we have always had significantly higher revenues than any other non Champions League club.

b) because of the incredibly tight rein kept on wages, we had the funds to spend more than most in the transfer market. The policy was abundantly clear.

Spending on player wages and player signings has always been a delicate balancing act. And, as our squad gradually improved, so the priorities changed. It became increasingly important to keep the players that we already had. That means paying far higher wages. And that, in turn, means less money available for new signings.

And until we become a regular Champions League team and / or move into the new stadium, we won't have the money to do both. Something has to give.

I bow to your greater wisdom on this Jimmy but my point was not the future spend on the stadium but the money that has already been spent on the stadium and training ground. This has to have had impact on the transfer budget in recent years, right?

I had assumed they were covered by the Berbs / Carrick money, but there may have been some amounts outstanding. Not £30m though.

Ins and Outs since Rafa joined 2 years ago:

Ins
Khumalo £1.5m
Pienaar £2.5m
Parker £5.0m
Sigurdsson £6.8m
Vertonghen £9.0m
Falque £Undisclosed (estimate: £1.2m)
Coulibaly £2.0m
Total spent £28.0m

Outs
O'Hara £5.0m
Hutton £3.0m
Pavlyuchenko £8.0m
Corluka £5.5m
Palacios £8.0m
Keane £3.5m
Crouch £12.0m
Kranjcar £5.7m
Pienaar £4.5m
Total outs £55.2m

So we should still have nigh on £30m to spend, having covered Gylfie and Verts, without requiring the Modric money.

The fact we don't seem to have that money is the thing I don't get. I would hope we are not hoping to use player trading surpluses to fund infrastructure projects.

Thats exactly what I think has happened. I hope my paranoia is blurring my judgement and we splash the cash in the next 12/13 days, but I am not holding my breath

I had assumed they were covered by the Berbs / Carrick money, but there may have been some amounts outstanding. Not £30m though.

I think there's a quote somewhere from Levy about the first couple of windows under Harry (and probably the two with Ramos as well) that we couldn't carry on spending like that.

Back