• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jordinho, about a month ago you seemed to think I was overrating about my concern for a striker, well I guess it will be all fun and games if Defoe gets injured in the first half and we have to rely on Kane to lead the line. I just hope Levy pulls something out of the hat next week

Or was I getting you mixed up with Nayim for some reason?

Goalkeeper market tends to be less inflated than the outfield players' market, judging by the surprisingly reasonable fees being quoted for them at the moment. So Levy hopefully won't have too much to get glint-eyed about. Although, having said that, I am still confident that he will attempt to pay the fee with old VHS tapes of Yes Minister first. Just for tradition's sake.

oneandonlygazza on SO

I was speaking to an Academy player this afternoon, who was on the US tour. Anyway, he reckons that Ade was actually out on the tour and waiting to be able to play. He rolled his eyes and said that terms 'couldn't be agreed'. He indicated that it caused a lot of hoohaa amongst the players and AVB.

He reckons the players seem resigned to nothing happening till deadline day, not just on strikers.

Might be old news. Sorry if it is.

Well I have been saying for a while we need to move on from that Greedy fudge

Jordinho, about a month ago you seemed to think I was overrating about my concern for a striker, well I guess it will be all fun and games if Defoe gets injured in the first half and we have to rely on Kane to lead the line. I just hope Levy pulls something out of the hat next week

One month ago I wasn't concerned, but that's assuming the club is actually working on deals and know we'll get what we need in the end. Unless we're close to anyone by now we need to go for someone that will come, ie. Fletcher or similar.

edit: Maybe not Fletcher as he's overpriced, but someone from a smaller league in Europe somewhere. Wouldn't take much to be an improvement on Defoe.

I love that so many people actually thought that, after four years of completely dingdonging around in the transfer market, Levy would suddenly buy us a striker.

I've already told you lot a month ago...

Ade fudges off to money a project
We get linked to the biggest names in football (already happened, Soldado/Llorente)
We end up with a Championship player

Money talks
Wookie runs the marathon

It would be annoying if have waited so long for a striker we get a very average non goal scoring striker. A player with the potential to score 20 league goals would be nice. If we are going to make the effort to dump Harry and bring in AVB how about we give him some financial support. Not saying we splash £50m on a striker but a little quality would be nice.

I keep thinking back to that story of us allegedly bidding for the best strikers in Spain 18 months ago, Aguero, Rossi, Llorente and co. Shame we have been unable to secure a quality striker since then, unless you count Saha.

We should have picked up someone to be the +1 by now. For the money Inter want for Damiao he'd have to be world class.

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo believes they have enough goals in the team despite only having two recognised strikers.

Di Matteo has allowed Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Romelu Lukaku to move on this summer, leaving him with only Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge as recognised forwards in his squad.

However, Di Matteo is confident they have enough attacking threats in the team to provide goals.

Happy

"I am happy with what we have now," Di Matteo said.

"I said that in certain areas we are a little bit light but we have signed some very good players and I'm sure they will score goals for us."

He added: "We've got two very good strikers who can score goals and I'm sure they will.

"Fernando has started the season very well, scoring last weekend. And we need the other players to chip in - Juan Mata, Oscar, Eden Hazard.

"Frank Lampard always scores goals, Ramires at the end of last season scored goals. So I think we need to diversify it between the team.

"We have signed some very good goalscoring midfield players and they will have to share."

Di Matteo hopes summer signings Oscar and Eden Hazard can settle in quickly into English football and establish themselves in the side.

"They have come to a big club and the expectations are high and the pressure will be on for everybody, not just the manager but the whole team as well," added Di Matteo.

"We have to start well and try and get these players settled as quickly as possible and make sure that they can express themselves and all the qualities they have for the team."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8000128/Di-Matteo-happy-with-options

The moment we find someone you almost expect them to jump in.

Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague

Chelsea have made an approach for Modric, willing to offer 40m+. Levy delying deal with Madrid after agreeing fee. Modric wants 2 go 2 Real

Can't believe that @GuillemBalague tweet unless they actually plan on filling S Bridge with central midfielders. The stands that is, not the substitutes bench.

It could mean anything really. Is it coming from our side to put pressure on Real or is it Chelsea's response to the Meireles rumours or just Chelsea being ****s? Or is Ballbag talking gonad*s?

Like for like cover for Lennon? What for?
If we play 4-2-3-1 Lennon might find himself out of the side. ABVs first choice three I believe will be Bale, Sig and VDV.
Width will more likely have to come from the fullbacks.

DONt really see that. THink we'll play 4-2-3-1 for most of the season in which case Lennon will be first choice.

The risk of Lennon being left out is if we eventually switch to 4-3-3, as its questionable whether he's enough of a goalscroer to play in the top right role in that formation

Ahead of a young African or European striker? On what basis?

If we can find them in Africa or Europe, that is fine.

My point was really that Man United had a very good forward line and still brought in Van Persie... the next day they splash £3.5m on this Chilean kid, almost as if they were able to conclude 2 deals at once.

Meanwhile Spurs are stroking their chins and considering, considering, considering, considering, considering, considering...

If Argentina can produce Tevez, Aguero, Higuain, Messi then we should be hoovering up the next level of talent.

Also other areas of the pitch; there must be loads of people like Nolberto Solano doing well in South America that we could get for £5m or so, if only we had a good scouting network or a new coach that spent time off in South America last month and appointed his own talent manager...

When we were linked with Sandro IIRC he was about 22 and was captaining his side to Copa Libertadores triumph (or something similar, I may have embellished slightly)

Surely there are other players in these leagues that are 22,23 and the shining stars in their teams.

We always look down at Peruvians and Chileans and Hondurans and then we see them at the World Cup and think "hang on that lad is AWESOME" so it seems obvious to get someone down in South America checking it out.

What about Turkey, Czech, Africa even North America there must be some great talents out there aged 21 or so which would be worth taking on. Australia. Iran. Outer Mongolia.

Better than Bongani Khumalo and Jonathan Obika and Spase Dilevski

Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague
E
Chelsea have made an approach for Modric, willing to offer 40m+. Levy delying deal with Madrid after agreeing fee. Modric wants 2 go 2 Real
Guillem is no better than your run of the mill itk. Don't let his job with Sky or the extra few thousand Twitter followers fool you.

I would take 42m from Chelscum.

I dont care about this rivals malarky.

I would take that 42m get Lorente and Moutinho and Ade. Sorted.

Llorente is getting 3.5m euros we can easily afford that

That doesn't mean it's what he'd accept now. Would probably want to double that at least.

I agree too, lets get the best offer and sort our own side out.

Back