• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He went end of June, thats over 6 weeks ago, plenty of time to have identified and got in targets by now..

Its Levy fudging about as per usual

And I bet Levy knew he was gonna dump him a long time before he did so he should have at least identified strikers but as I feared we have relied too much on Ade coming.

I wasn't saying that 'Arry couldn't have made necessary changes. I was challenging your assertion that we wouldn't have a transition season with 'Arry and will with AVB. I was saying both face the same problems with Ade, Modric, excess players etc. We don't know what AVB's solutions will be but we can't assume 'Arry would solve them.

You say there is no reason why we can't bring in players of a higher standard than Keane and Crouch, but 'Arry certainly didn't when he was manager so why assume he would now. The fallback options 'Arry signed were all signed late in the window, as you'd expect, so nothing different so far. We are still likely to sign some fallback options before the window closes if the main targets are not obtained. You talk about there being no excuse for not having a balanced squad with options, but it was 'Arry who is responsible for the state of the squad (he was manager for four years) and he sold Palacios (one of the options you mentioned). The problems we face now are exactly the same ones 'Arry would have faced, and 'Arry has some responsibility for them (along with Levy), so it seems odd to blame AVB.

And we still challenged! Our fans need to simply accept that this is what it's like at Spurs. There is no point saying this will be a season on transition, as the reasons being given for this transition are true every year with us. I've not blamed AVB, as the window hasn't closed. But if it does close and we don't have a squad capable of challenging then you to question his suitability for the role, as we see season after season that this is what it's like at Spurs. At the end of the day we have a squad that includes VDV, Bale, Parker, Kaboul, BAE, Walker, Defoe, Lennon, Gallas, Huddlestone, Sandro, Dawson, Freidal and Vertonghen. So we have plenty of excellent players. People are acting as if we need to make huge changes. We don't. We need a couple of strikers and a player like Dembele. If we bring is Remy or Ade and another unfancied cheap striker we'll be fine. If we bring in Llorente will be doing fantastic. All this talk of transition (in the sense of we can excuse a poor season) is far fetched in my opinion. The hurdles faced by AVB at the moment are standard for any Spurs manager working under Daniel Levy, so there is simply no point using it as an excuse. Look over the last 5 years and I bet you we've made more last couple of day transfer deals than any other team. No matter if it's Arnesen, Jol, Comolli, Harry or now AVB. We do our business late and often have to settle for signings that weren't the ideal choice. It's just part of being a Spurs manager.

Aqua gained a smidge of credibility with the Gallas/Vertonghen stuff, still think llorente is wishful thinking though.

And we still challenged! Our fans need to simply accept that this is what it's like at Spurs. There is no point saying this will be a season on transition, as the reasons being given for this transition are true every year with us. I've not blamed AVB, as the window hasn't closed. But if it does close and we don't have a squad capable of challenging then you to question his suitability for the role, as we see season after season that this is what it's like at Spurs. At the end of the day we have a squad that includes VDV, Bale, Parker, Kaboul, BAE, Walker, Defoe, Lennon, Gallas, Huddlestone, Sandro, Dawson, Freidal and Vertonghen. So we have plenty of excellent players. People are acting as if we need to make huge changes. We don't. We need a couple of strikers and a player like Dembele. If we bring is Remy or Ade and another unfancied cheap striker we'll be fine. If we bring in Llorente will be doing fantastic. All this talk of transition (in the sense of we can excuse a poor season) is far fetched in my opinion. The hurdles faced by AVB at the moment are standard for any Spurs manager working under Daniel Levy, so there is simply no point using it as an excuse. Look over the last 5 years and I bet you we've made more last couple of day transfer deals than any other team. No matter if it's Arnesen, Jol, Comolli, Harry or now AVB. We do our business late and often have to settle for signings that weren't the ideal choice. It's just part of being a Spurs manager.

I agree with most of that.

I was responding to this comment ...

But there is a very strong argument that Harry would have made sure it wasn't a transition season.

... which seemed to be imply that it would be a transition season under AVB and 'Arry would never have allowed it. I agree that the hurdles faced by AVB are the same as faced by 'Arry and the point i was making was that 'Arry would be facing the same problems over getting a striker, the Modric situation, King's retirement, and as you say dealing with Levy.

I'm not expecting a transition season in the sense that we will fall to 7-9th, but I think its going to be much harder getting fourth this season because Chelsea won't be as bad and Liverpool will be stronger (Everton might also be in the mix if they start playing before December). 'Arry would have faced the same difficulty. The difference between them is that AVB is an unknown quantity as Spurs manager, which works both ways. He could do worse than 'Arry or he could do better, forge a better relationship with Levy and pulling in the striker 'Arry failed to get. The latter is still possible although looking increasingly unlikely.

Aqua gained a smidge of credibility with the Gallas/Vertonghen stuff, still think llorente is wishful thinking though.

He's always obviously had some sort connection, gets things wrong but as the ITK's so often say, 'things can change', and I think it's true in a lot of cases. I rate him as one of the best.

He's always obviously had some sort connection, gets things wrong but as the ITK's so often say, 'things can change', and I think it's true in a lot of cases. I rate him as one of the best.

He should stop exaggerating the info he has (as should all ITK). Interest in a player isn't the same as a done deal.

Song is a very very good footballer. In all honesty, I don't think Barcelona actually need him but who cares, anyone important leaving Arsenal is good. Would be hilarious if someone put in a very high bid for Vermaelen next :lol:

So there midfield consists of what now? Arteta.... ? ... ?

I put it in the wrong thread but strange the Song deal contract length is two years. I think Arse are gonna get him back for free. Its like a 16m loan signing.

Why only two years? Very strange

From Marca

We thought we'd seen the last of the Modric soap opera at the beginning of the week, but it seems there's still a final episode to come. 20th August will be 'D-Day'. In a nutshell, this coming Monday Luka Modric's agent will travel to Madrid to finalise the terms of the Croatian's contract, once a formal agreement has been reached for his transfer from Tottenham to 'Los Blancos'.

In the meantime, Tottenham and Real Madrid are still wrangling over the small print of the deal to take Luka Modric to Madrid. It may be small print, but its magnitude shouldn't be underestimated, as an extra €1-2 million is at stake for both clubs. In this case, the exchange rate from euros to pounds seems to be working against the Bernabéu-based club.

Daniel Levy has made it clear to Florentino Pérez that the price on Luka Modric's head is £35 million, and the Real Madrid president has convinced his counterpart to accept the fee in two parts: €32 million up front, and up to a further €6 million in variable bonuses.

However, this £35 million figure, once the relevant conversion is taken into account, could surpass the €40 million mark – more than the €38m that Madrid has set as its upper limit. As such, the clubs are currently toing and froing about the size and nature of the add-ons in question.

Tottenham is continuing to play it cool and doesn't seem in any rush, hence why it has yet to rubberstamp the deal. But the Londoners have given Madrid the green light, so one way or another Modric will be signing for Real, whether over the next few hours or at 11:59 p.m. on 31st August, a minute before the transfer window closes.

Although the Modric move is very much still on, it probably won't be pushed through until Tottenham has deals in place for two signings. It needs the money from the Croatian’s sale to bring in a replacement and a striker.

Villas-Boas' first choice for the central midfield role was Moutinho, but Porto, which also has a reputation for being a tough negotiator, is asking for €40 million. Spurs will be working until the last minute to try to land the Portuguese midfielder, as the club believes he is the most natural man to step into Modric's shoes.

The search for a striker is also holding up the Modric deal. Spurs is looking for a natural goalscorer. Defoe wants to leave, while Adebayor – who spent last year on loan at White Hart Lane – may not join permanently. After scouring the market, Fernando Llorente, who has a €36 million release clause, has emerged as a top target. Sources at the London club claim that securing the Bilbao forward could even trump the Moutinho signing in terms of priorities.

Meanwhile, Madrid is crunching numbers for Modric. No, not financial packages, but rather shirt numbers. The Bernabéu hierarchy is particularly keen for the Croat to inherit a squad number of great sentimental value to Florentino Pérez - David Beckham's no. 23 shirt, which sold like hotcakes in the club store during the Englishman’s time at the club.

Another squad number available is no. 19, formerly worn by French starlet Varane, which also brings back memories of Italian striker Antonio Cassano, who flopped at Madrid during his croissant-eating craze. Two other shirt numbers are also likely to be freed up next week: Sahin's no. 15 and Carvalho’s no. 16

Bitch bitch bitch thats all you lot do. So you think we should bend over and let clubs take advantage because we need a ST?

Bitch bitch bitch thats all you lot do. So you think we should bend over and let clubs take advantage because we need a ST?

One position in the league = £755,062 in prize money

2011-12

4th = 12,836,054

8th = 9,815,506

Coupled with being in the top 4 the team likely earned more due to more appearances live, the difference adds up.

I dunno, saving money now could effect the end game, so as they say.. cut your nose off to spite your face.

One position in the league = £755,062 in prize money

2011-12

4th = 12,836,054

8th = 9,815,506

Coupled with being in the top 4 the team likely earned more due to more appearances live, the difference adds up.

I dunno, saving money now could effect the end game, so as they say.. cut your nose off to spite your face.

Also, by not signing Ade on July 1st we have now saved close to £1 million on not paying his wages.

Back