• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Song to Barca seems to be close - this wkd maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19293825

big loss for them, created a lot of goals last year.

they have been decimated, Fabregas, Nasri, RVP and Song all within, what, 2 seasons? yet i bet they'll still be top 4.

Perhaps a lesson for those who say Levy should just give in to Madrid and sell Modric for what they are kindly offering us.

Sure there is a short-term down-side in holding out for our price, but giving in has a long-term effect that is a much bigger problem. Clubs know Wenger won't stand in the way of a player leaving and he doesn't even seem to put up a fight any more.

People keep saying Levy is difficult to deal with, "he's different", etc, but it makes clubs reluctant to come after our players. No one will get Modric, Bale or Walker or whoever's next without a struggle. A downside is that it makes it harder to off-load players, but I'd say keeping Bale is more important than offloading Jenas or Bentley.

Bit frustrating but reality is we've got genuine competition and long-term successor to VDV in Sig and a successor to King. We've tied Bale, Walker, Naughton to new deals and the only real frustration was not bringing in a forward before opening day. But you know what? We're still a quality side

Freidel
Walker Vertonghen Kaboul BAE
Sandro Livermore
Lennon VDV Bale
Defoe

Most clubs would kill to put out a line-up like that with Parker, Thudd, Sig, Dawson, Caulker, Kane, Carroll, Naughton, Gomes, Cudicini, Jenas to come in if needed or when back from injury.

I think well sign a striker a replacement for Modric when his real deal goes through and possibly a keeper and that will be it. Get some perspective people

Frustrating summer eh fellas?

Very. I'm resigned to the fact its going to be Adebayor on the last day for £5m. No wing cover for Lennon as I have a feeling Gio will stay until at least January.
No new young GK, and only a small portion of the Modric transfer fee will be spent on a mediocre replacement with the rest of the money going into the Stadium fund.
I expect our net spend to something like -£10m in this window

No cover for Lennon is my concern as well as the ongoing striker problem. I'd love us to sign Jordan Rhodes. He knows where the goal is and clearly has a big future ahead of him. £4.5m should get him IMO.

Butland would be a great signing also.

negotiate for the right price..as like you say hes 29..

a good replacement for super pav!

No cover for Lennon is my concern as well as the ongoing striker problem. I'd love us to sign Jordan Rhodes. He knows where the goal is and clearly has a big future ahead of him. £4.5m should get him IMO.

I'm not sure that we need cover for Lennon if we are moving towards playing 4-3-3. I guess that we will have to wait and see on that one.

Agreed. We don't need like-for-like cover for Lennon.

With Sigurdsson and RvdV competing for the attacking midfield its likely to be one of them central and RvdV or Lennon on the right.

As long as we have one proper winger we should be alright. With Bale and Townsend we should always have one.

Totally. Been saying it for weeks. Once settled at the club he could become our GK for a decade

Manchester United have apparently signed 18-year old attacker Angelo Henriquez for £3.5 million according to his club Universidad de Chile.

THIS is what we should be doing IMO. Young South/central American strikers. Buy 3 now, sift through them for a year, top them up each year.

Get rid of Kane for £3m plus add-ons

there would is zero chance of signing him for £4.5m

Totally. Been saying it for weeks. Once settled at the club he could become our GK for a decade

So could Lloris, for that matter. Or Julio Cesar, if Friedel's longevity is anything to go by.

Not too fussed about the new keeper right now, mainly because we have indeed got Big Brad around, but if it came down to a straight choice between the three, there's not a whole lot separating them, imo. Butland would arguably be the most expensive (English premium), while Cesar would have the least re-sale value. But really, other than that....

THIS is what we should be doing IMO. Young South/central American strikers. Buy 3 now, sift through them for a year, top them up each year.

Get rid of Kane for £3m plus add-ons

Ahead of a young African or European striker? On what basis?

So could Lloris, for that matter. Or Julio Cesar, if Friedel's longevity is anything to go by.

Not too fussed about the new keeper right now, mainly because we have indeed got Big Brad around, but if it came down to a straight choice between the three, there's not a whole lot separating them, imo. Butland would arguably be the most expensive (English premium), while Cesar would have the least re-sale value. But really, other than that....

Next summer's waiting game: Goalkeeper. Will we get one in time for our first match?

I am inclined to agree with you about Butland. I would not even consider loaning him back for the rest of the season if it sweetens the deal

I think Townsend will be cover for Bale/Lennon, I am also one of the few who would love to hang on to Gio

Like for like cover for Lennon? What for?
If we play 4-2-3-1 Lennon might find himself out of the side. ABVs first choice three I believe will be Bale, Sig and VDV.
Width will more likely have to come from the fullbacks.

Huddersfield turned down £2 million, rising to 6, from Fulham. Since then only Blackburn have been rumoured to be interested. If he really was that good there would be more interest you'd think.

oneandonlygazza on SO

I was speaking to an Academy player this afternoon, who was on the US tour. Anyway, he reckons that Ade was actually out on the tour and waiting to be able to play. He rolled his eyes and said that terms 'couldn't be agreed'. He indicated that it caused a lot of hoohaa amongst the players and AVB.

He reckons the players seem resigned to nothing happening till deadline day, not just on strikers.

Might be old news. Sorry if it is.

Back