• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So... once again the good ship Tottenham Hotspur sails into the season with a gaping hole in her mainsail, the captain is below decks asleep and the cabin boy is pretending to be Nelson.

I believe our chances of success are dropping by the day.

Wasn't one of AvBs new men a talent spotter? Where are the surprisingly good signings from Turkey, Portugal, Bolivia, Peru etc?

As much as this has been disappointing and somewha predictable in many ways - we need to get behind the team sn AVB today. We have enough quality to achive a result against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, bar Ade, we've added to new signings who ve looked good in pre-season. COYS

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Zenit St Petersburg have launched a bid for Manchester United winger Nani, 25.

Full story: Daily Mail

West Ham are ready to try to steal in ahead of Liverpool and Arsenal to sign Fulham striker Clint Dempsey, 29.

Full story: Metro

Meanwhile, the Craven Cottage club have rejected a "very low" bid from Manchester United for midfielder Moussa Dembele, 25.
Fulham midfielder Moussa Dembele

Moussa Dembele joined Fulham in 2010

Full story: talkSPORT

Toulouse defender Cheikh M'Bengue, 24, has revealed he is wanted by Arsenal.

Full story: Daily Star

Stoke have joined Everton in the hunt for Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam, 26.

Full story: Daily Mail

Everton will loan midfielder Ross Barkley, 18, to Championship side Sheffield Wednesday so he can gain first-team experience.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Blackburn have increased their offer for Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes, 22.

Full story: Lancashire Telegraph

Striker Kevin Mirallas, 24, will have a medical at Everton this weekend before completing a £5.3m move from Olympiacos.

Full story: Liverpool Echo

Tottenham have enquired about signing Emirates Marketing Project and England winger Adam Johnson, but face competition from Sunderland and West Ham.

Full story: The Times

Theo Walcott has still not signed a new Arsenal contract, sparking fears he could follow Robin van Persie out of the door.

Fullt story: the Sun

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is considering making a fourth bid for Wolves winger Matt Jarvis.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Wigan striker Conor Sammon is on his way to Derby for £1.2m.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Stoke manager Tony Pulis says he may have to sell two strikers in order to clinch the signing of Michael Owen on a free.

Full story: Daily Express

Bologna have ruled out winger Gaston Ramirez moving to Southampton for £11.8m, saying it will take £16m to prise him away.

Full story: the Times
OTHER GOSSIP
Chelsea and Brazil midfielder Oscar

Oscar has arrived at Chelsea from Internacional

New Chelsea signing Oscar insists he feels no pressure at Stamford Bridge - because he has already worn the Brazil number 10 shirt.

Full story: the Sun

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he has become exasperated by his Manchester United players' use of Twitter after Rio Ferdinand was fined £45,000 by the FA.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Retired Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba will make a success of his future career - whatever direction he takes - according to captain Kevin Davies.

Full story: Bolton News

Celtic keeper Fraser Forster aims to force his way into the England squad by impressing in the Champions League.

Full story: Daily Record

Former Saudi Sportswashing Machine player and manager Kevin Keegan has hailed the man he believes is the Magpies' best signing of the summer - chief scout Graham Carr.

Full story: Saudi Sportswashing Machine Chronicle
AND FINALLY

Former trainee chef Ben Foster reckons he has found the recipe for success at West Brom - by designing the kitchen in his purpose-built new home.

Full story: Express and Star

Manchester United have apparently signed 18-year old attacker Angelo Henriquez for £3.5 million according to his club Universidad de Chile.

I almost cant beleive the club are making this mistake

last year, we went into the two Manchester games in the beginning of the season with Modric still playing, his head "not right" and squad morale at an all time low. A year later, we are doing it again...

I firmly beleive though that we will get a good result today. I think we have to much talent going forward and having a small striker up on his own can be good thing against a team like Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

But before the end of next week, we need 2 world class strikers, a world class creative midfielder and hopefully a young keeper.

There really are no excuses

Thing is I am not sure signing superstars fits the Levy business model.

I think that potential superstar might be a better way of looking at it. Anyone half decent will use us as a stepping stone to club that is able to pay higher wages whilst our current wage structure is in place. Our stance with Modric could put off those type of players joining us.

Kane to be third striker according to AVB:

André Villas-Boas: Harry Kane will be third-choice striker at Spurs

• 19-year-old spent part of last season on loan at Millwall
• 'I like to promote the third one as a young striker'

David Hytner
guardian.co.uk, Friday 17 August 2012 22.30 BST

André Villas-Boas says that the 19-year-old Harry Kane will be his third-choice striker at Tottenham Hotspur this season, as to have too many established players fighting for one starting position can be problematic.

The manager, who will play a 4-3-3 formation, has faith in Kane, whose six appearances and one goal for the club to date came in last season's Europa League. He involved him during pre-season.

Jermain Defoe is Villas-Boas' only senior striker at present and he will start at Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the late kick-off on Saturday . Villas-Boas' plan to integrate Kane, though, suggests that he will sign no more than one more striker before the end of the month.

Tottenham have tried all summer to complete the permanent transfer of Emmanuel Adebayor from Emirates Marketing Project but the Togolese, who spent last season on loan at White Hart Lane, remains in disagreement with City over a termination-of-contract payment. Villas-Boas has explored other options, including the Brazil and Internacional No9 Leandro Damião, but, on the eve of the season, he was happy to talk up Kane, who scored eight goals on loan at Championship Millwall last season, even if he admitted that the situation up front is not ideal.

"Kane is a young striker that we believe in and who we trust for the future," Villas-Boas said. "We are looking for another striker. What we can do in the market …it has been difficult to live with. We have been in touch with a couple of players for that position and for one reason or the other, it has stalled and hasn't happened. But that doesn't mean it can't happen in the next couple of days. It won't happen before the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game.

"Kane is in our plans and I can give you an example. Last year, I had two strikers at Chelsea [his former club] of great dimension and Tottenham had three strikers of great dimension – Adebayor, Defoe and [Roman] Pavlyuchenko. Normally there is one that doesn't get game time. That's not because you don't rotate enough but because when you play a system with one striker, it is very difficult to get the third one to play enough.

"Normally on my teams, I like to promote the third one as a young striker, who is competing for that place a bit more aggressively. Last season, with the way Tottenham played, Pavlyuchenko had to leave in January and the situation is more or less similar."

Defoe would not seem a natural fit for the lone striker role and the England international has been worried this summer about his Tottenham future and he has been linked with a move. Villas-Boas said that he had "spoken to Jermain and his agent about the situation" but he continues to see a part for him to play.

"Obviously, we are looking for one more striker because that is the reality of the Premier League," Villas-Boas said. "We can't have two strikers. Jermain scored 17 goals last season. He was a key player and will continue to be. He knows we are in the market looking for one striker more but I think competition is something that he is used to. It makes him tick."

Tottenham's visit to Saudi Sportswashing Machine will pit Villas-Boas against Alan Pardew, the manager with whom he argued last season after Chelsea's 3-0 win at St James' Park. But Villas-Boas said that the pair were friends and he was grateful to Pardew for his supportive public words after he was sacked by Chelsea.

"I have an excellent relationship with him," Villas-Boas said. "We were together at the Monaco Grand Prix and we spoke a little bit. We spoke regularly. He was one of the managers that showed respect to me when I left Chelsea and I appreciated his words. I made sure I thanked him for that."

I suppose Ade plus one was always a big ask. I wonder how ambitiously we have been pursuing the one, if Ade was always the main target. If Ade does fall through we need more than a Frazier Campbell type.

Apart from the obvious being he manages the biggest club on the planet, you have to commend Sir Alex for being able to keep players rotating, happy and still giving their absolute all when they are called upon.

But before the end of next week, we need 2 world class strikers, a world class creative midfielder and hopefully a young keeper.

If that's your real expectation then you;re going to be seriously, seriously disappointed.

By AUg 31 I would imagine we'll sign one CF and a midfielder. Whether either will be 'world class' is very debatable

So... once again the good ship Tottenham Hotspur sails into the season with a gaping hole in her mainsail, the captain is below decks asleep and the cabin boy is pretending to be Nelson.

I believe our chances of success are dropping by the day.

Wasn't one of AvBs new men a talent spotter? Where are the surprisingly good signings from Turkey, Portugal, Bolivia, Peru etc?

things will never change until UEFA see sense and shut the window on 1st August.

that's all that needs to be done. it must have been mooted before now in the higher echelons - is there any reason why it can't be brought forward?

Back