• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Erm..

How many strikers better then Crouch do we currently own?

Zero.

(Defoe can't play up front on his own)

No but we did replace him before getting into the brick situation we are in now. I'm not sticking up for Levy, I just think that he will definitely have to spend most of the Modric money.

Is Real Madrid a top team? Have they got their signings done early or are they still haggling over the last penny.

It takes two to haggle. No one wants to concede and that.s why the deal often get done at the last minute. Even the richest club in the world does it.

In fairness, I said the top teams get their deals done "as soon as possible". Real couldn't get Modric sooner because of the way Levy does his business.
Also, for Real, Modric is just another player in an already top squad. They have won things without him recently - ultimately they don't need him.

In contrast, we've known for over a year that Modric was going this summer and that when he goes we have lost (arguably) our best player.
Comparing our position with the luxurious position in which Real find themselves is insanity. they can afford to lose their first few games of the season and still be in with a shot at the title and the Champions league in 9 months time. Its likely that the 6 or more points we might blow from not having a fully firing squad on season day 1 will be the difference between 3rd and 5th at the end of the season and then, once again, our best players leave and we can't find decent replacements because, guess what, we're not in the Champions League. Not rocket science.

Is Real Madrid a top team? Have they got their signings done early or are they still haggling over the last penny.

It takes two to haggle. No one wants to concede and that.s why the deal often get done at the last minute. Even the richest club in the world does it.

Recent years you would say no they do not haggle, they like splashing the wonga

Besides, they are in a situation where they can afford to haggle, afterall, they haven't lost there star CB, star midfielder, and currently have only arguably a #3 Centre forward on there books.

Take away Pepe, Alonso and leave themsleves with only Higuain as a striker, I can guarentee.. they would be showing some urgency.

In fairness, I said the top teams get their deals done "as soon as possible". Real couldn't get Modric sooner because of the way Levy does his business.
Also, for Real, Modric is just another player in an already top squad. They have won things without him recently - ultimately they don't need him.

In contrast, we've known for over a year that Modric was going this summer and that when he goes we have lost (arguably) our best player.
Comparing our position with the luxurious position in which Real find themselves is insanity. they can afford to lose their first few games of the season and still be in with a shot at the title and the Champions league in 9 months time. Its likely that the 6 or more points we might blow from not having a fully firing squad on season day 1 will be the difference between 3rd and 5th at the end of the season and then, once again, our best players leave and we can't find decent replacements because, guess what, we're not in the Champions League. Not rocket science.

Fair enough, but what you are saying is that they are in a stronger position so we should concede.

That just sustains the status quo. There comes a point where it might be good to challenge that. Our position with Modric might be the wrong time, we could suffer if he refused to play. However, I won't criticise Levy for taking the hard-line stance, especially as now it's still to be decided.

Dempsey probably would fit our system well come to think of it, if we can't sign a top striker he wouldn't be a bad player to buy he certainly shined last season when Fulham pushed him upfield as a striker

Do we really want a player here that has refused to play for his present club? after all we slagged Berby and Modric off for doing that.

Dempsey probably would fit our system well come to think of it, if we can't sign a top striker he wouldn't be a bad player to buy he certainly shined last season when Fulham pushed him upfield as a striker

No thanks! As others have said, we already have Rafa and Siggy. No point buying another similar position player for a big price and being 29

Too late, season started. If we are going to play a 36 game season again I want some money back on my season ticket

Remember when we suddenly heard the news we'd signed VDV at the last minute? That 'holy Christ almighty is that really true?' wonderful light headed fudging giddiness?

....thats what's keeping me going at the moment.

Remember when we suddenly heard the news we'd signed VDV at the last minute? That 'holy Christ almighty is that really true?' wonderful light headed fudging giddiness?

....thats what's keeping me going at the moment.

Thing is we need at least two of those in the next 14 days.........

Just seen Bosingwa's signing for QPR. More shrewd business from Hughes.

......................Green......................
Bosingwa.....Mbia....Ferdinand.....Fabio
.................Diakite.....Park................
Wright-Phillips......Taarabt..........Hoilett
........................Cisse.......................

Last edited:
fudging hell you'd think some of you just came home to find your house had burnt down the way you're carrying on.

Back