• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Have to say, I'm disappointed with the Spurs fans in social media (not just this board) who are so eager to downplay our guys credentials to represent England.

Let's be clear, this is fudging England, not Spain/Brazil

- Harry Kane has absolutely earned his call up, he's the best English striker right now by some margin
- Walker on form earns his place, yes he's not in form right now, but no other option demanding to displace him
- Danny Rose has also earned his call up easily, Baines is probably incumbent, Rose option
- Townsend/Mason are more indicative of the lack of top level English talent in those positions and based on club (yes, player who play at higher levels, cups, Europe will likely get the nod first) and performances have got a shot.

I'm happy for all of them, hopefully it drives them and our other youth players to keep working their ass off and performing for Spurs, and they see this as reward/recognition for that.

i'd say its more a case of hodgson being doomed if he can only use english players

I'm delighted a tottenham player is getting his first England cap but like others have said, the first thing I thought when I heard this is how poor the england squad is, he wouldn't be anywhere a call up if he was italian, spanish, french, dutch etc

Have to say, I'm disappointed with the Spurs fans in social media (not just this board) who are so eager to downplay our guys credentials to represent England.

Let's be clear, this is fudgeing England, not Spain/Brazil

- Harry Kane has absolutely earned his call up, he's the best English striker right now by some margin
- Walker on form earns his place, yes he's not in form right now, but no other option demanding to displace him
- Danny Rose has also earned his call up easily, Baines is probably incumbent, Rose option
- Townsend/Mason are more indicative of the lack of top level English talent in those positions and based on club (yes, player who play at higher levels, cups, Europe will likely get the nod first) and performances have got a shot.

I'm happy for all of them, hopefully it drives them and our other youth players to keep working their ass off and performing for Spurs, and they see this as reward/recognition for that.

Largely agree. And I definitely agree with your conclusion, this should be another motivating factor for our first team players and our youth players. Succeeding and seeing others succeed...

Some amount of context I think is fine though. I don't think that pointing out that an England call up doesn't mean that a player is good enough for us long term. These players have to push on from this, hopefully they will.

I'm delighted a tottenham player is getting his first England cap but like others have said, the first thing I thought when I heard this is how poor the england squad is, he wouldn't be anywhere a call up if he was italian, spanish, french, dutch etc

He wouldn't have been called up to this England squad either if it wasn't for injuries. This means that he is probably seventh or eight choice in his position in the country right now. Capoue has Franch caps, does this suggest that they have more depth than us?

He wouldn't have been called up to this England squad either if it wasn't for injuries. This means that he is probably seventh or eight choice in his position in the country right now. Capoue has Franch caps, does this suggest that they have more depth than us?
He may be a little down the pecking order in Roy's mind now but as he has shown with us, he is well capable and he might just take this chance to leapfrog some of the other contenders. It could be that the timing is just right for him to stake a claim considering the current changing of the guard in the England midfield (Gerard, Lampard, Carrick, etc). I don't see an outstanding candidate in there at the moment. Henderson is good sometimes, and Wheelchair on his day is good but there is not a lot to choose between the rest. I hope he gets some time on the pitch now.

Agreed. Which is a fantastic step forward considering he played for Swindon on loan in League One a year ago and other than a handful of Spurs fans it wasn't like he was getting bags of attention for his performances there even.

He may be a little down the pecking order in Roy's mind now but as he has shown with us, he is well capable and he might just take this chance to leapfrog some of the other contenders. It could be that the timing is just right for him to stake a claim considering the current changing of the guard in the England midfield (Gerard, Lampard, Carrick, etc). I don't see an outstanding candidate in there at the moment. Henderson is good sometimes, and Wheelchair on his day is good but there is not a lot to choose between the rest. I hope he gets some time on the pitch now.

Agreed. Hope he looks around that England training ground and sees that these players are not much better than him.

Remember too that when Lampard was around his age he was signed for Chelsea, and it wasn't regarded as some a fantastic purchase by Chelsea at that time. Even his first year at Chelsea he was good, but not some obvious superstar. Carrick similarly was 23 when we signed him from West Ham, after he spent a season in the Championship. Both of them made their PL debuts much earlier than Mason did, but I think if Mason had been without injury problems and played for a bottom half PL team his PL debut would have come much earlier too.

I really think Mason has a lot of the qualities needed to become a top level PL central midfielder. Perhaps not a star like Carrick or Lampard, only time will tell. But he has a lot going for him. If he keeps working hard, as he obviously has been, if he keeps developing I think he can become a regular in the England 11, not just the squad.

I'm not doubting his ability or that he could push on a claim a regular place in the England squad. It was just a response to people using his call up as evidence that the squad is crap.

Really pleased for him. And what a great message this sends to all the lads currently in the academy/out on loan.

Really pleased for him. And what a great message this sends to all the lads currently in the academy/out on loan.
Agreed. Amazed by some ot the reaction on here. This shows that he's had a decent season and is great motivation for him and others coming through.

He's in the England squad - that's decent recognition. Its irrelevant saying about the Spain or Brazil squads because, believe it ir not, however well he plays he cant get into them can he? Each of those have had their dross over the years as well by the way - Brazilian goalkeepers, Spanish forwards,....maybe they're the same as English CMs? I certainly dont think that Henderson, Delph or Milner are a million miles ahead of Ryan Mason and they've been regulars in the squad recently

Yeah, fudge me man, fudging Soldado was a starter for Spain a couple of years ago, let alone in the squad.

Anyway, I don't even get the people saying it shows how poor the England squad is. I've seen Mason go toe-to-toe with top quality midfields this season and come out on top. If he can play in a Spurs midfield that beats Chelsea one of only two times this season in the league, beats Arsenal at home and draws away, why can't he play for England and why does his playing for England mean that England are crap, rather than actually, Mason might be a fine player with the potential to get even better as he learns the ropes of top flight and international football?

Mason has played 30 games less than Kane, he also had only played 4 times for us before this season, (one of those for a few minutes) and only started 1 game.

I think because he is 23 you forgot how inexperienced he is at all levels not just this one, probably more like a 20yr old in terms of games played. In some ways his rise is more impressive than Kane as he really has come from nowhere.
Its going to be up and down due to inexperience with all the young players however as soon as we get a crop come through everyone wants to replace them.

This may be our equivalent of utd's 92 lot, they may not have the same quality but they should be given a season with the same team to see where they could go.

Also plucky little leicester have the most decorated Argentian midfielder ever facing up to Mason, he is really having to learn in the deep end.

Last edited:
I think Mason is in the top 2 English CMs at the moment. On the past 6 months performances, he's safely ahead on the crud like Wiltshire and Delph.

For the next 15 months up to the Euros, I think England should play as close as possible to this type of line-up:

-----------Kane
Sterling--Barkley--Sturridge
---Mason---Henderson
Baines--Stones--Dier--Clyne
------------Hart

I think Mason is in the top 2 English CMs at the moment. On the past 6 months performances, he's safely ahead on the crud like Wiltshire and Delph.

For the next 15 months up to the Euros, I think England should play as close as possible to this type of line-up:

-----------Kane
---Mason---Henderson
------------Hart

I like Mason, but you've got to play Carrick alongside Henderson in my view. Also think Sturridge should play upfront with Kane. Sterling hasn't been too great this season, Ashley Young has been playing better, particularly recently. Also, as much as people say he's overrated, you can't ignore the claims of Rooney on recent form for United, he's been playing in a deeper position. I'm sure Barkley's time will come, but again he's struggled for form in a poor Everton side this season. Similar to Baines & Stones. Not sure Dier has deserved a start, or maybe even a place in the squad so far.

I really think Dier will end up something special but i wouldnt want him anywhere near the england team at the moment. I think it would hinder his development, especially given the lack of quality around him. He knows this as well, hence him pulling out of the U21's when playing RB for us so he could train more to force his way in as a CB.

-----------Kane
---Mason---Henderson
------------Hart

Would be setting a lot of those players up to fail. Young players need more than just game time, they also need some experienced players to help them out.

You talk about Mason in the top 2 English CMs at the moment based on the past 6 months. Surely that's not the case for Dier and Barkley?

amazing what faith and trust from your manager can do

Particularly when combined with talent and work ethics from the player :)

Back