• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pape Matar Sarr

You've noticed different from me. Although i don't see the pundits on sky. Just more on youtube (james alcott and tifo etc... Most think he's been playing as a b2b. With bissouma further back. Maddison as the playmaker, some loving that he drops deep, some wanting him to stay further forward.

I can't seethe heat maps on my tablet. Sorry.

Edit - the heatmaps are coming up now. Yes bentancur played in a 2 last season with wingbacks. Yet still went wide at times. Don't see anything there that says he can't play the role. They'll have to battle it out though. Show ange who is worthy of starting. Good problem to have.

Yeah its probably a Sky/BT Sport thing. Punditry in the UK is so lazy and they always use the lazy and easy narratives. On e a narrative has been established that's it, it lives on forever.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Good work mate

yea if anyone thinks Sarr’s playing DCM then they’re off their trolley. RCM for me, box to box type.

looking at the heat map of Bentancur, he’s spent plenty of time on the right hand side in similar areas to Sarr. Think it just proves it won’t be alien to him.
Looking at the heat map of Bentancur, he could probably play anywhere Ange asks him to.

For your pleasure

Sarr

View attachment 16284

Maddison

View attachment 16285

And just for reference, Bentancur from last season. He was everywhere.

View attachment 16286

Looking at Sarr's heat map it just confirms what I see and I don't know why so many pundits and even some fans think hes a DM or is playing that role. Before almost every match the formation graphic will have Sarr next to Bissouma and Maddison ahead of them as a double pivot 3 which is a nonsense. Actually I think I do know why tbh, its because hes big and black and thus MUST be a DM. :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::neutral:
Quite scary but then we have our own fans that don’t see it so…

a key with Bentacurs data is that was in the wonderfully offensive 8-2-0 formation of conte. he had to do more

If we want to be self critical about where a player fits in Ange's system, it's not that simple, basically

- We play a 4-3-3 out of possession, 2-3-5 in attack
- Players will overload areas, players will move into spaces (even if that is not a space that "normally" aligns to the role), we are always trying to create triangle options

So the heat maps don't tell the full story

- Sarr does play to the right, but because we pass out of the back, he will also sometimes go outside the FB to create an overload and/or provide another passing option out of the press, it's just a function of the system. The FB's also squeeze inside when he/other CMs move forward to support the attack.

Sarr's big attributes for me is he is comfortable in tight spaces, always looks to be progressive and can run all game. I'd still argue there is nothing there that Bentancur can't match or better, but having two good players is not a bad thing.

That’s not true in the modern game
Players play for a system
Or they tend to get dropped

Like I wrote better players. Average teams keep slavishly to managers systems as it's far easier to defend, counter attack (hope you get a result) than try to attack and create. Maddison appears to play in left side, but our goal at Palace he pops up at inside right position (to be effective).

Like I wrote better players. Average teams keep slavishly to managers systems as it's far easier to defend, counter attack (hope you get a result) than try to attack and create. Maddison appears to play in left side, but our goal at Palace he pops up at inside right position (to be effective).
City have the most rigid system there is and they won everything
I’d say that’s the modern game
Maddison is rare in that he has some freedom
Very few players get that now despite their talents

If we want to be self critical about where a player fits in Ange's system, it's not that simple, basically

- We play a 4-3-3 out of possession, 2-3-5 in attack
- Players will overload areas, players will move into spaces (even if that is not a space that "normally" aligns to the role), we are always trying to create triangle options

So the heat maps don't tell the full story

- Sarr does play to the right, but because we pass out of the back, he will also sometimes go outside the FB to create an overload and/or provide another passing option out of the press, it's just a function of the system. The FB's also squeeze inside when he/other CMs move forward to support the attack.

Sarr's big attributes for me is he is comfortable in tight spaces, always looks to be progressive and can run all game. I'd still argue there is nothing there that Bentancur can't match or better, but having two good players is not a bad thing.
I’d argue that Sarr weakness is his first touch and that can hurt him when under pressure
His strength is his engine
It’s no coincidence he is crossing at one end and clearing at the other in such a quick period of a game

I fully agree that the system means we have the formations you highlight
Vs palace there were many times when Sarr picked the ball up at the traditional right back position and Porro came central to where a traditional CM would be

For your pleasure

Sarr

View attachment 16284

Maddison

View attachment 16285

And just for reference, Bentancur from last season. He was everywhere.

View attachment 16286

Looking at Sarr's heat map it just confirms what I see and I don't know why so many pundits and even some fans think hes a DM or is playing that role. Before almost every match the formation graphic will have Sarr next to Bissouma and Maddison ahead of them as a double pivot 3 which is a nonsense. Actually I think I do know why tbh, its because hes big and black and thus MUST be a DM. :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::neutral:
Be interesting to overlay Kulu's heat map with Sarr's

City have the most rigid system there is and they won everything
I’d say that’s the modern game
Maddison is rare in that he has some freedom
Very few players get that now despite their talents

The better players are rare, Silva and De Bruyne seem free to roam in City's rigid system as does Foden. I personally dislike coach dominated football and would rather see players use their talent and accept mistakes. At least I wont be here to see the perfect AI teams and players who follow instructions playing out goal less draws.

The better players are rare, Silva and De Bruyne seem free to roam in City's rigid system as does Foden. I personally dislike coach dominated football and would rather see players use their talent and accept mistakes. At least I wont be here to see the perfect AI teams and players who follow instructions playing out goal less draws.
City have every player with a fixed role and a set play and routine
It’s just well done that you don’t see it as much IMO

City have every player with a fixed role and a set play and routine
It’s just well done that you don’t see it as much IMO

It's a pointless discussion, as every player has a role it's just a matter of how much freedom they are allowed and their own vision and skill.

Back