• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pape Matar Sarr

A different system for sure.

But do you see anything in this system that doesn't fit Bentancur? Anything in this role that doesn't fit Bentancur?

I've been wrong before and it's difficult to know before we actually see him on the pitch. But to me this role in this system seems perfect for him.
I can’t see him playing right side
The role Sarr does is literally box to box but one one side.
Bentacur plays central so far for us
The guys class but the role is very different to what he has played here or Juve

I can’t see him playing right side
The role Sarr does is literally box to box but one one side.
Bentacur plays central so far for us
The guys class but the role is very different to what he has played here or Juve

It's not like Sarr is playing like a winger. Bentancur has drifted wide for us before.

When we played him with more attacking freedom under Conte he got forward well, drifted wide a bit, was really useful. Even scored some goals.

Other than sometimes playing a bit wider what is "very different" to you with this role?

What are the requirements for this role that Bentancur hasn't already shown that he's capable of delivering on?

It's not like Sarr is playing like a winger. Bentancur has drifted wide for us before.

When we played him with more attacking freedom under Conte he got forward well, drifted wide a bit, was really useful. Even scored some goals.

Other than sometimes playing a bit wider what is "very different" to you with this role?

What are the requirements for this role that Bentancur hasn't already shown that he's capable of delivering on?
Sarr plays very much like a wide player
It’s literally how he plays
Bentacur never plays wide for us
All of his work has been bossing and controlling the centre of the park

Crazy discussion on this thread, people's memories are weird.

Sarr is a very good prospect with great ceiling, Bentancur is the real fudging deal, levels above Sarr right now.

Sarr is a very good prospect with great ceiling, Bentancur is the real fudging deal, levels above Sarr right now.
I don't think the discussion is about their ability levels but instead it is about how they fit into the team and their differing attributes. It's a valid discussion although I don't see any reason why Bentancur will not work equally well in the midfield 3, albeit in a differing role and differing responsibility to Sarr.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Woulds agree with you about that, the ability he had before his injury ( and was still improving) was top class and if he can return from this injury and continue on that path the guy will be a monster. Not saying Sarr has not got talent but for now he does not compere to Bents. imo

Is he?
Playing a wide right hybrid?
It not a role he has played for us or Juve but he can just do it????

I don't think the discussion is about their ability levels but instead it is about how they fit into the team and their differing attributes. It's a valid discussion although I don't see any reason why Bentancur will not work equally well in the midfield 3, albeit in a differing role and differing responsibility to Sarr.

It’s 100% that
Unfortunately some people can’t see that
What is more alarming is that some can’t see that we don’t play with 3 CMs
We play with a much flatter midfielder but with a holder with the cbs and two other midfielders playing wide
It’s why Maddison got good defensive stats in this system and he is playing as a covering full back at times whilst Udogie comes central
It’s a very very different system to where Bentacur excelled for us

It’s 100% that
Unfortunately some people can’t see that
What is more alarming is that some can’t see that we don’t play with 3 CMs
We play with a much flatter midfielder but with a holder with the cbs and two other midfielders playing wide
It’s why Maddison got good defensive stats in this system and he is playing as a covering full back at times whilst Udogie comes central
It’s a very very different system to where Bentacur excelled for us

Had sarr ever played that system before this season?

Had sarr ever played that system before this season?

I think he might have for Metz, but on the left. He seemed to play a few positions for them though.

I also feel Bentancur might have played a similar role for Uruguay before as well.

Would be interesting to see some heat maps of Maddison and Sarr. I have to say I don’t think Sarr’s playing wide right? RCM absolutely.

Not sure. I know in France he played everywhere for them
But he is playing it now
And played it pre season
Bentacur hasn’t had any of that opportunity

He's been training for a while now and won't be rushed back. I don't think anyone is suggesting he'll be starting on monday.

Not sure. I know in France he played everywhere for them
But he is playing it now
And played it pre season
Bentacur hasn’t had any of that opportunity
I was going to say the same. For Senegal he tends to play in a double pivot but with license to roam or as the man in front of the pivot with license to shoot. At Metz he played all over the place, I don't remember ever seeing him as a DM but he did play b2b and as part of the inverted 3 definitely.

Ange said the other day.... obviously players are different, they'll come with different qualities but the framework they play in is the same. As long as they understand, are up to speed with that, the adjustment is minimal.

Obviously at CH (for example) the sheer drop off in quality might lead to a negative outcome.

Would be interesting to see some heat maps of Maddison and Sarr. I have to say I don’t think Sarr’s playing wide right? RCM absolutely.

For your pleasure

Sarr

Heat_Map-Sarr.png

Maddison

Heat_Map_Maddison.png

And just for reference, Bentancur from last season. He was everywhere.

Heat_Map_Bentancur.png

Looking at Sarr's heat map it just confirms what I see and I don't know why so many pundits and even some fans think hes a DM or is playing that role. Before almost every match the formation graphic will have Sarr next to Bissouma and Maddison ahead of them as a double pivot 3 which is a nonsense. Actually I think I do know why tbh, its because hes big and black and thus MUST be a DM. :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::neutral:

Last edited:
For your pleasure

Sarr

View attachment 16284

Maddison

View attachment 16285

View attachment 16286

Looking at Sarr's heat map it just confirms what I see and I don't know why so many pundits and even some fans think hes a DM or is playing that role. Before almost every match the formation graphic will have Sarr next to Bissouma and Maddison ahead of them as a double pivot 3 which is a nonsense. Actually I think I do know why tbh, its because hes big and black and thus MUST be a DM.

You've noticed different from me. Although i don't see the pundits on sky. Just more on youtube (james alcott and tifo etc... Most think he's been playing as a b2b. With bissouma further back. Maddison as the playmaker, some loving that he drops deep, some wanting him to stay further forward.

I can't seethe heat maps on my tablet. Sorry.

Edit - the heatmaps are coming up now. Yes bentancur played in a 2 last season with wingbacks. Yet still went wide at times. Don't see anything there that says he can't play the role. They'll have to battle it out though. Show ange who is worthy of starting. Good problem to have.

Last edited:
For your pleasure

Sarr

View attachment 16284

Maddison

View attachment 16285

View attachment 16286

Looking at Sarr's heat map it just confirms what I see and I don't know why so many pundits and even some fans think hes a DM or is playing that role. Before almost every match the formation graphic will have Sarr next to Bissouma and Maddison ahead of them as a double pivot 3 which is a nonsense. Actually I think I do know why tbh, its because hes big and black and thus MUST be a DM. :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::neutral:
Good work mate

yea if anyone thinks Sarr’s playing DCM then they’re off their trolley. RCM for me, box to box type.

looking at the heat map of Bentancur, he’s spent plenty of time on the right hand side in similar areas to Sarr. Think it just proves it won’t be alien to him.

Back