• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

In fairness, what would you expect him to do mate? he doesn't do dirty laundry in public...

I'd prefer he doesn't treat us like we're thick. AVB is great with the media and conducts himself in a veryyyyy good manner BUT if he comes out to the media on Feb 1st after us not bringing in a striker AND Defoe's injury being confirmed....and if he informs us that we're covered fine and we didn't need a striker well then. Lets just say i'll be very dissapointed.

Jermain Defoe has been nursing a pelvic injury and was left out of the squad for yesterday’s trip to Leeds amid fears he may yet need surgery. Defoe has been playing in discomfort for some time and after a blistering start to the season his form has suffered with only one goal in his last
eight games.

Ha

Everton have showed they have no intention of letting their manager leave for Spurs through a media circus. The Merseyside club have fired their initial shots in what may be a prolonged conflict and are certainly not prepared for untrue stories to be pushed about Moyes and his intentions to leave the club.

Even before Tottenham Hotspur had released the statement saying Harry Redknapp had departed, there was huge speculation about who would follow him at White Hart Lane. Much of it was just that, speculation, but when a well known journalist from TalkSPORT went a bit too far, Everton were on top of it quickly.

Ian Abrahams, better known by his nickname of 'The Moose' was giving the impression on Twitter that he had inside information on what Spurs were about to do. He said "As I understand it David Moyes is 1st choice - I've been told if things go well he could be installed in a week. It is my understanding Spurs may have already met with David Moyes today and that Moyes compensation has been agreed with Everton FC."

Strong stuff and big claims which would suggest someone had tipped him off, or that he thought Moyes to Spurs was a decent bet and it was a good opportunity to fluff his feathers without any real knowledge. He was asked if the chance of Moyes going to Spurs was about '80%' and said "as I always say nothing in life is 100% but this looks a lot closer to that than 80%."

He then went on to continue to fluff his feathers and argue with people who doubted his credibility, that was until Paul Tyrrell got involved. Tyrrell is the Director of Communications at Everton and was furious that Abrahams was pushing news which he believed was totally fabricated, so he told him "This is an absolute lie Ian. I expected better from you. If you repeat it, you can expect legal action from EFC."

Now Abrahams, who had been so confident previously, turned on a sixpence and said "ok Paul sorry and I withdraw it. I withdraw the comments about David Moyes I made a short while ago leaving Everton for Spurs."

He followed with a couple more grovelling tweets to Everton's Director of Communications before saying he was signing off for the night. No doubt if Moyes does turn up at Tottenham he'll claim he had the inside story from the start, despite appearing to pluck strong claims from thin air, safe in the comfort that the Everton manager was favourite for the job anyway.

Apart from embarrassing a journalist, this episode shows that Everton are not prepared to be walked over if Tottenham Hotspur do indeed want their manager.

:lol:

In his defence, but to his shame, he only passes on stuff he gets told by everyone else.

He has actually got loads right too.

His tweet to me said............"I've been told 8 weeks, but I honestly don't know".

Everton have showed they have no intention of letting their manager leave for Spurs through a media circus. The Merseyside club have fired their initial shots in what may be a prolonged conflict and are certainly not prepared for untrue stories to be pushed about Moyes and his intentions to leave the club.

Even before Tottenham Hotspur had released the statement saying Harry Redknapp had departed, there was huge speculation about who would follow him at White Hart Lane. Much of it was just that, speculation, but when a well known journalist from TalkSPORT went a bit too far, Everton were on top of it quickly.

Ian Abrahams, better known by his nickname of 'The Moose' was giving the impression on Twitter that he had inside information on what Spurs were about to do. He said "As I understand it David Moyes is 1st choice - I've been told if things go well he could be installed in a week. It is my understanding Spurs may have already met with David Moyes today and that Moyes compensation has been agreed with Everton FC."

Strong stuff and big claims which would suggest someone had tipped him off, or that he thought Moyes to Spurs was a decent bet and it was a good opportunity to fluff his feathers without any real knowledge. He was asked if the chance of Moyes going to Spurs was about '80%' and said "as I always say nothing in life is 100% but this looks a lot closer to that than 80%."

He then went on to continue to fluff his feathers and argue with people who doubted his credibility, that was until Paul Tyrrell got involved. Tyrrell is the Director of Communications at Everton and was furious that Abrahams was pushing news which he believed was totally fabricated, so he told him "This is an absolute lie Ian. I expected better from you. If you repeat it, you can expect legal action from EFC."

Now Abrahams, who had been so confident previously, turned on a sixpence and said "ok Paul sorry and I withdraw it. I withdraw the comments about David Moyes I made a short while ago leaving Everton for Spurs."

He followed with a couple more grovelling tweets to Everton's Director of Communications before saying he was signing off for the night. No doubt if Moyes does turn up at Tottenham he'll claim he had the inside story from the start, despite appearing to pluck strong claims from thin air, safe in the comfort that the Everton manager was favourite for the job anyway.

Apart from embarrassing a journalist, this episode shows that Everton are not prepared to be walked over if Tottenham Hotspur do indeed want their manager.

Ah so 'Moose' is indeed a Moose.

Jermain Defoe has been nursing a pelvic injury and was left out of the squad for yesterday’s trip to Leeds amid fears he may yet need surgery. Defoe has been playing in discomfort for some time and after a blistering start to the season his form has suffered with only one goal in his last
eight games.

Ha

I think that if he IS carrying a knock he'll be involved tomorrow, even if it's on the bench (with no intention of being played). If he's not it sends a message to every selling club that we are desperate for a striker and the cost of their assets goes up making it far less likely that we'll get anyone in by Thursday night!

After yesterday wiuld you rely want to rely on Dempsey? Sure he scored but without both Ade and Defoe we really are asking a lot from him.

It would be so funny would it not if Defoe gets injured, and Ade gets injured during the ANC?

Yes, after yesterday i would rely on Dempsey.

Strangely i do not blame him for defensive fudge ups.

The defence was all over the place, the midfield was all over the place. Dempsey was one of the few positives about yesterdays performance. He got into decent positions and score a goal. If we can sort out the rabble that were behind him it would be a far easier job for him.

Yes, after yesterday i would rely on Dempsey.

Strangely i do not blame him for defensive fudge ups.

The defence was all over the place, the midfield was all over the place. Dempsey was one of the few positives about yesterdays performance. He got into decent positions and score a goal. If we can sort out the rabble that were behind him it would be a far easier job for him.

My point is Dempsey up top alone is not enough as we showed yesterday

My point is Dempsey up top alone is not enough as we showed yesterday

Where was it showed?

The majority of the ten men behind him were brick.

If the same men behind him were brick we would have had the same result no matter with Adebayor and Defoe as well.

Odd how it's ok for Defoe to score goals and not contribute to the general play, however when Dempsey scores AND contributes he's suddenly not good enough.

If we're going to take yesterday as standard there are a lot of players who are 'not enough'. As Dempsey was one of the best on the field for us.

Last edited:

Where was it showed?

If the same men behind him were brick we would have had the same result no matter with Adebayor and Defoe as well.

Odd how it's ok for Defoe to score goals and not contribute to the general play, however when Dempsey scores AND contributes he's suddenly not good enough.

If we're going to take yesterday as standard there are a lot of players who are 'not enough'. As Dempsey was one of the best on the field for us.

Very good post.

When our midfield doesn't work we haven't really had a striker that's been able to look good since Berbatov, apart from Ade in patches.

Jacked from Norwich match thread...

Andre: "We wanted to stay in the competition but Leeds did ever so well. We had high expectations and we are disappointed. We will use that feeling vs Norwich & get back into a run. They have had some good results against us and that will inspire us. Norwich will be motivated because of what happened in the FA Cup. It's a good opportunity for us to keep going in the League. The boys have been excellent. The longer we extend our run the better it will be at the end of the season that is out objective. Jermain feels good. He trained today and he was disappointed to miss Leeds but the medical staff have done a great job, he's fit- Lewis is a great player. Very creative and he can play in lots of positions. He is a major addition for us. Lewis's creativity can be a way to unlock teams and defences. He's in the squad for the Norwich game"

err - thats why we need a new striker!!!

If we could get another striker like Berbatov I would be delighted.

Jacked from Norwich match thread...

Andre: "We wanted to stay in the competition but Leeds did ever so well. We had high expectations and we are disappointed. We will use that feeling vs Norwich & get back into a run. They have had some good results against us and that will inspire us. Norwich will be motivated because of what happened in the FA Cup. It's a good opportunity for us to keep going in the League. The boys have been excellent. The longer we extend our run the better it will be at the end of the season that is out objective. Jermain feels good. He trained today and he was disappointed to miss Leeds but the medical staff have done a great job, he's fit- Lewis is a great player. Very creative and he can play in lots of positions. He is a major addition for us. Lewis's creativity can be a way to unlock teams and defences. He's in the squad for the Norwich game"

Good news :) (assuming that it's true)

Where was it showed?

Dempsey just isn't a number 9. This was shown frequently against Leeds. Often we would reach the box (our build-up play was not simply 'brick', we created quite a few promising situations), only for there to be no-one attacking the right areas. Dempsey naturally operates away from the goalkeeper, yesterday we were quite clearly lacking a natural front-man, often with no-one inside either the 6 yard box nor the 'second 6 yard box' when the balls were delivered or our wingers were in the correct position to deliver a ball. Our goal was archetypal Dempsey, a late run towards the post which was only made possible by the how long Bale was holding the ball. But no-one was making the early runs.

Dempsey also is poor with his back to goal, and although Defoe is not much better, he at least occupies the area in front of the keeper. We ideally need a striker who can do both if we are to continue with this 4-2-3-1 system, but Dempsey can do neither. He is undoubtedly a classy player but this is simply the wrong position for him. If we were to commit more wholeheartedly to a 4-6-0 formation the sort of team we saw on Sunday could work with time, but against Leeds we had nowhere near enough penetration in the opposition box. It just looked like Dempsey had been told to play Defoe's role but couldn't help slipping into his natural game.

It isn't about 'scoring' or 'contributing' as an individual, it is about the net effect on the team and its dynamics. Dempsey did a decent job but playing him instead of a proper striker ruined the balance of the team. That's why we saw Obika, a natural striker, come on - it wasn't just a random gamble on a youth player at 2-0 down. AVB sacrificed the dynamics of the team for a more senior starting line-up and it backfired.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/29/tottenham-sign-striker-jermain-defoe

Tottenham in market for striker while Jermain Defoe nurses muscle tear

André Villas-Boas has revealed that Tottenham Hotspur have used a blood-spinning healing technique in the injection they gave Jermain Defoe to combat a muscle tear in the pelvic area and the manager also stated his desire to sign a striker before Thursday night's transfer deadline.

The club have been keen to downplay the significance of Defoe's problem but Villas-Boas suggested that the player had been troubled by it since the start of the month, at least, and that it had required careful management. Defoe has appeared in each one of Tottenham's Premier League and Europa League fixtures this season, scoring 14 goals, although he has only one in his past eight matches.

Villas-Boas said Defoe had felt tightness last week, underwent an MRI scan which showed a grade one tear to the obturator muscle, had the injection on Friday and needed to be stood down from Sunday's FA Cup defeat at Leeds United[/B] when, with Emmanuel Adebayor at the Africa Cup of Nations with Togo, the team were without a recognised senior striker.

Defoe's injection appears to have achieved its ends and Villas-Boas said that the England international would return to the side at Norwich City on Wednesday night. There have been fears that an operation will, ultimately, be required to solve the problem and, although Villas-Boas downplayed them, he did admit that further setbacks could not be discounted.

"In muscle injuries, there is always a risk of it showing up again but the medical department feel positive about it and the player is positive and he knows his body well," Villas-Boas said.

Blood-spinning is a controversial technique because, although legal, it is considered on the edge of anti-doping regulations. It came to prominence in English football in the José Mourinho era at Chelsea, when Villas-Boas was a part of the backroom staff. It involves taking a sample of the player's blood, removing the platelets, the cells that assist the healing process, and injecting them back into the injured area. It is claimed to speed up recovery.

"We believe a lot in growth factor treatment and plasma platelet treatments," Villas-Boas said. "It is a technique that we have been using since the beginning of the season. It is not common but does happen from club to club. Defoe adhered to the treatment very, very well so we can move forward. You take out the blood from any part of the body and spin it around. The plasma comes to the top and you are able to inject it back into the body. It is the part of the blood that heals injuries."

Villas-Boas said the policy of having only Defoe and Adebayor as recognised strikers, with the attacking midfielder Clint Dempsey able to play there at a push, was a "risk" and it would appear that his resources have been stretched to breaking point, particularly as he has come to favour a 4-4-2 formation.

The club will investigate whether a deal for a striker can be done, with Celtic's Gary Hooper, José Callejón of Real Madrid and Sevilla's Alvaro Negredo among their targets. Villas-Boas would love to sign Leandro Damião of Internacional, although he would cost upwards of £20m.

"We've found consistency in 4-4-2 so eventually we have the possibility to have one more [striker]," Villas-Boas said. "It's just trying to see if it makes sense. The January market is very demanding. Transfer fees can be ridiculously high."

Villas-Boas has completed the £1.5m signing of the attacking midfielder Lewis Holtby from Schalke – he is in the 19-man travelling party for Norwich – and the club retain an interest in the West Ham midfielder Mohamed Diamé. "There are certain situations where, yes, we might lose the player," said the West Ham manager, Sam Allardyce. "It's total confusion."

Back