• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Yes, yes they do. 5 goals from 47 shots this season. The only player in the league to take more shots at goal is Suarez with 7 goals from 63 shots. Others that have a worse shots to goals ratio are Fellaini, Cazorla, Taarabt. None of whom are played as the primary goalscorer.

Well if we have 30m burning in our pockets then yeah fine you can get better but unfortaunetly so it appears we dont.

47 shots doesnt mean anything. He has been playing ALONE up front so when he gets an opportunity he will shoot as he wasnt getting the chances - an opportunity here means within range. Shots dont mean a thing.

Well if we have 30m burning in our pockets then yeah fine you can get better but unfortaunetly so it appears we dont.

47 shots doesnt mean anything. He has been playing ALONE up front so when he gets an opportunity he will shoot as he wasnt getting the chances - an opportunity here means within range. Shots dont mean a thing.

It doesn't take £30 million to find a better one. I can't be bothered to come up with a list of names, but Steven Fletcher is one and we already have Adebayor. I bet you Dempsey and Sigurdsson would score more than Defoe if the team was set up to get them into shooting positions and that was their main task.

He scores about 1 goal in every ten shots, has done formost of his career. Now imagine if he instead of shooting at every opportunity sometimes tried to hold on to the ball and find a team mate. Could the team have scored more goals? I'd say yes. He hasn't been caught offside as much this season as previously though.

If you play one striker then you need them to add far more to the team.

However with two it makes sense that one of them be a natural goalscorer.

Yes, yes they do. 5 goals from 47 shots this season. The only player in the league to take more shots at goal is Suarez with 7 goals from 63 shots. Others that have a worse shots to goals ratio are Fellaini, Cazorla, Taarabt. None of whom are played as the primary goalscorer.

Stats in many cases play their part, massively in some cases, but they are not the be all and end all in judging a player, they can be manipulated to any which way you desire. I can counter your point by stating that Defoe has had more shots on target than any other prem forward in the league this season, does that necessarily demonstrate that he is the most accurate finisher about in the league? Perhaps but not necessarily, circumstances play their part.

It comes as no surprise to me that both Suarez and Defoe top the most shots stats this season as both their respective teams play with lone forwards (without anyone able to fill in up to this point), are struggling for goals and as a result both teams are heavily reliant on them to score the goals. Hence the number of shots.

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers - Plato

Tottenham Hotspur All-Time Top Goalscorers

P0082.png

Jimmy Greaves 266
Bobby Smith 208
Martin Chivers 174
Cliff Jones 159
George Hunt 137
Len Duquemin 134
Alan Gilzean 133
Jermain Defoe 126
Teddy Sheringham 124
Robbie Keane 122
Les Bennett 116
Jimmy Dimmock 112
Glenn Hoddle 110
Bertie Bliss 106
Johnny Morrison 102
Billy Minter 101
'Taffy' O'Callaghan 99

Tottenham Hotspur All-Time Top Goalscorers Records

Last edited:

Wow. Defoe could realistically hope to be fifth by the end of the season. That would be a massive achievement.

Wow. Defoe could realistically hope to be fifth by the end of the season. That would be a massive achievement.

Yes, but all he does is score goals, mind.

Oh... and another thing is that all the players above Defoe had unbroken spells with Spurs, while he had a couple of seasons with Portsmouth in which he scored another 17 goals.

Add those to this Spurs total and he would be on 143 goals by now, putting him in fifth place in our all-time top goalscorers table.

Last edited:

He could very well end up in fourth on our all-time list. It's only 34 goals away, and Defoe's still got a couple of seasons left in him.

I think he'll fall just short, though, what with Levy's penchant for realizing values before they depreciate and Defoe's age.

Well at least I know Gutter Boy must be feeling great this evening because he hates the idea of Defoe being anywhere near our starting 11, and we will always be a poorer team with him in the side

Well at least I know Gutter Boy must be feeling great this evening because he hates the idea of Defoe being anywhere near our starting 11, and we will always be a poorer team with him in the side

Do you intend to be insulting, or was that just a bi-product?

Saying that a Spurs fan is feeling great after a loss because a player he doesn't rate didn't start is very insulting in my eyes and frankly quite unneccesary among fellow Spurs fans.

He's a Yiddo, apparently. Too many black-and-white portraits in that top 17.

...and Dimmock's been colourized.

He's a Yiddo, apparently. Too many black-and-white portraits in that top 17.

...and Dimmock's been colourized.

Players back in the day tended to stick to the same club for much of their careers, which explains why so many of our top goalscorers are from the black & white era.

These days, you'll be lucky to get five seasons from a player - Defoe being a notable exception.

Back