• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Less than a third of his shots on target is a poor stat. It's my main complaint of him really, the amount of shots he takes blasting it into a player in front of him or swiping at it off balance when there are passing options. I don't mind a player being greedy, but being greedy and wasteful is pretty annoying. Hunger for goals is a good thing, but you need to use your brain, he could be on an even better level of assists without affecting his goals tally if he recognised when he is taking a shot for a shot's sake and looked up instead.

If he consciously tried to avoid shooting off target I imagine his goal tally would reduce. That extra second of thinking time is the difference between getting your shot away and a defender tackling you. Defoe isn't a striker who dances around defenders in tight spaces

Re: Jermain Defoe

The shots on goal can be misleading. If you are aiming just inside the post, about half the shots will be on target and just under half off target. But those on target would have a good chance of beating the goalkeeper. If you aim at the middle of the goal, you should get most on target but the goalkeeper will save most of them.

A poor shots on target could also mean the player is taking more difficult shots, which can be good (creating opportunities) or bad (too selfish), while a good one might mean the player is only taking the easy ones (wasteful or not selfish enough)

If he consciously tried to avoid shooting off target I imagine his goal tally would reduce. That extra second of thinking time is the difference between getting your shot away and a defender tackling you. Defoe isn't a striker who dances around defenders in tight spaces

I disagree, almost all of his success around the edge of the box comes from taking a touch, or actually, pushing it on and shooting. One touch to push it and then strike, it's his snap shots that almost always go to waste. I'm talking about his those shots, and we all know what it is like... "I'm on, I'm on, I'm" is blazing through your ears and into your brain, but "fudge it, I'm taking the shot" you think to yourself... We've all done it, and we all know, even as our shin is making contact where our foot should be and you are falling away off balance that, yeah, should have passed the ball...

It's like playing golf, everyone knows that trees are 90% air... This one's DEFINITELY going to get through... Just take a shot around FFS, but we rarely do. That's Defoe, he can hear people screaming they have a shot on and he knows full well as the ball canons into the defender that the shot isn't on, but he can't help himself.

I have always thought JD was more effective playing with a partner. Sure he may not be the best person to hold up the ball but there are some things he does well.

Upto 8th in the list of All-time leading scorers for Spurs. Past Teddy tonight, has a chance of being 5th by the end of the season. Well done JD

I just want to big up JD for his service at Spurs. Been a great servant of the club

I'd like to second that BUT we all know that no matter what this player does, it will never be good enough for *some* on this forum. For those that hate him, i'd have loved them to have seen Jimmy Greaves....

Superb hattrick tonight and has been a brilliant goalscoring servant to the club.

The REASON he scored so many tonight is simply because others delivered for him. That is what has been missing. His movement against Wigan was non existent and he didnt have anyone else like Ade to pull the back three around so he just didnt have any room to manoever. That is why is he is so much better playing with an Ade.

Superb hattrick tonight and has been a brilliant goalscoring servant to the club.

The REASON he scored so many tonight is simply because others delivered for him. That is what has been missing. His movement against Wigan was non existent and he didnt have anyone else like Ade to pull the back three around so he just didnt have any room to manoever. That is why is he is so much better playing with an Ade.

Helpful for sure...Ade ended up playing in the hole which was interesting, thus more of 4-4-1-1...but as well as that, the whole game (and JD) benefitted from Carroll. His positional sense was excellent, wonderful passing range, great vision and able to put in a challenge. Magnificent. And yes, 3 wonderfully taken goals. A good night at the office.

I'd like to second that BUT we all know that no matter what this player does, it will never be good enough for *some* on this forum. For those that hate him, i'd have loved them to have seen Jimmy Greaves....

Are you saying that you compare JD with Jimmy?

Upto 8th in the list of All-time leading scorers for Spurs. Past Teddy tonight, has a chance of being 5th by the end of the season. Well done JD

indeed, i have never been able to understand why he gets so much brick from some supporters.

indeed, i have never been able to understand why he gets so much brick from some supporters.

It's all those games he doesn't score and all he adds to the team is offsides and shots into the stand behind goal.

It's all those games he doesn't score and all he adds to the team is offsides and shots into the stand behind goal.

i have seen the greatest goalscorer of all time ( Greaves ) have games when he does not score, missed the goal, and got caught offside many times but never got stick for doing that, now before anyone jumps in i am not compering the two in any way. My point is that all ( most) goalscorers do the same.

i have seen the greatest goalscorer of all time ( Greaves ) have games when he does not score, missed the goal but never got stick for doing that, now before any jumps in i am not compering the two in any way. My point is that all ( most) goalscorers do the same.

And in my opinion it's hard to justify the selection of someone who's purely a goalscorer in today's game, especially considering how much we struggle to put together good attacking moves.

And in my opinion it's hard to justify the selection of someone who's purely a goalscorer in today's game, especially considering how much we struggle to put together good attacking moves.

Fair enough, but i disagree completly.

I would beg to differ - I think that there will always be a place for someone who can regularly put the ball in the back of the net.

And they don't come much better at doing that than Jermain Defoe.

We've had some truly wonderful strikers at Spurs over the years and I think Defoe deserves his place as one of the very best.

I would beg to differ - I think that there will always be a place for someone who can regularly put the ball in the back of the net.

We've had some truly wonderful strikers at Spurs over the years and I think Defoe deserves his place as one of the very best.

Totally agree.

A goalscorer wins you games. You can defend all you fudgein like but its only gonna get you a draw. Goalscorers win you games.

I dont care if Defoe misses three or four chances because you know he will score as long as the chances come.

Yes, yes they do. 5 goals from 47 shots this season. The only player in the league to take more shots at goal is Suarez with 7 goals from 63 shots. Others that have a worse shots to goals ratio are Fellaini, Cazorla, Taarabt. None of whom are played as the primary goalscorer.

Back