• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

I thought Defoe's off the ball running when bale was breezing past rio, and then holding the ball against rio and passing to bale to have shot that got saved by lindegaard which dempsey slotted in easily, were to wgreat pieces of work by defoe.

Yes, I do think he gets too easily shrugged off the ball, but when he's alone up top versus players 5-7 inches taller and a stone or two heavier, it aint easy.

If AVB continues to trust him, and he repays, we may actually uncover a 20 goal a season striker ... Enter the Ade.

In europe, if can get space to run into, hope he can be clinical. Stuff the shamrocks !

I thought Defoe's off the ball running when bale was breezing past rio, and then holding the ball against rio and passing to bale to have shot that got saved by lindegaard which dempsey slotted in easily, were to wgreat pieces of work by defoe.

i saw the article that wrote about this... and thought it funny as this is what all footballers are taught to do during the teenage years. its called running diagonally across the defence.

there is another perspective to this tactic - if the defender (evans?) chooses not to follow defoe but stand his ground to take on bale, then defoe becomes free on the left and bale is forced to pass to him.

in other words... defoe stands to benefit as much a scoring opportunity as Bale, as opposed to just standing there and watching Bale go by.

Ferdinand and Evans(?) crossed paths following their runners which is a defensive no no. I actually don't think that it made a whole lot of difference in this indstance but you are coached to pass on the runner so as not to collide or otherwise interfere (oi...steady) with your defensive partner. I'm not 100% sure Defoe wasn't hoping for the ball to be played to him from Bale, but either way the run had the desired effect - i.e. a goal.

He was all over the place, as usual, but some of their best chances came when he popped up on the right.

Rooney was popping up everywhere when we didn't know what we were doing. Kagawa, Van Persie and Rooney were causing havoc and Scholes was dragging Dembele all over. It was ugly, and yes, his cross for their first is a case in your point. However, as soon as we'd given up that very cheap 2nd goal, we sat on Rooney in the hole and didn't allow him to go too many places, thus they became a more static line of players trying to chisel a way through with the deep-pushed Scholes desperatley trying to dictate from back there. To my eyes anyway...

Rooney was popping up everywhere when we didn't know what we were doing. Kagawa, Van Persie and Rooney were causing havoc and Scholes was dragging Dembele all over. It was ugly, and yes, his cross for their first is a case in your point. However, as soon as we'd given up that very cheap 2nd goal, we sat on Rooney in the hole and didn't allow him to go too many places, thus they became a more static line of players trying to chisel a way through with the deep-pushed Scholes desperatley trying to dictate from back there. To my eyes anyway...

I certainly agree that something changed after their second. I would need a re-watch to figure out what though. They lost a lot of movement when Kagawa went off.

I certainly agree that something changed after their second. I would need a re-watch to figure out what though. They lost a lot of movement when Kagawa went off.

it really looked to me like we stopped giving them the space in front of our back four to play in/around, the full-backs were certainly told to pay even closer attention and tuck in with their CBs (i.e. Walker told to stop leaving spaces between himself and Caulker) and we actually seemed to challenge them to just sling it in and over so as our CBs could deal with it. I don't think we wanted to be so "retreative" (warning: fictional word there) but in the heat of it I think it was the best we could do. We actually shut Kagawa's second-half done once he did us for the goal, and after that, the only proper chances I remember were two blown headers and that golden chance for VP when he managed to exploit the Walker/Caulker gap. I was disappointed with Kyle second-half, he was getting mugged and leaving Caulker with a lot to do, the latter handling it very well all-told. Again, that's just how I saw it mate...

Ferdinand and Evans(?) crossed paths following their runners which is a defensive no no. I actually don't think that it made a whole lot of difference in this indstance but you are coached to pass on the runner so as not to collide or otherwise interfere (oi...steady) with your defensive partner. I'm not 100% sure Defoe wasn't hoping for the ball to be played to him from Bale, but either way the run had the desired effect - i.e. a goal.

evans had to to follow defoe otherwise a throughball would put defoe clean through.

textbook stuff - player A charging at an angle and defender A has all eyes on him, player B coming from blind side taking the other defender along.

edit: quick google search http://www.soccernhcoaching.org/main/categories/articles/attack_with_diagonals.pdf see activity 2 page 3. maybe defoe read this last week.

Last edited:

evans had to to follow defoe otherwise a throughball would put defoe clean through.

textbook stuff - player A charging at an angle and defender A has all eyes on him, player B coming from blind side taking the other defender along.

edit: quick google search http://www.soccernhcoaching.org/main/categories/articles/attack_with_diagonals.pdf see activity 2 page 3. maybe defoe read this last week.

In a zonal defense, the general idea is that you should not follow an attacker's run into the zone of your center back partner. It is pretty much the first thing you learn I think. So in this case, Ferdinand should have picked up Defoe, and Evans should have focused on Bale's run.

In a zonal defense, the general idea is that you should not follow an attacker's run into the zone of your center back partner. It is pretty much the first thing you learn I think. So in this case, Ferdinand should have picked up Defoe, and Evans should have focused on Bale's run.

Spot on. In saying that Bale had the momentum and the whole thing was over in a flash. It may not have made a difference had Ferdinand handed him off.

When organized, sure.

When defending two against two against a counter attack it's not as obvious as that in my opinion.

Either way there will be problems, especially against quick players who are good on the ball. When you hand over the runner from one defender to the other there will be a gap. I think most defenders would have done what Ferdinand and Evans did.

In that particular situation Evans had to take on Bale. In going after Defoe he is assuming Rio can catch Bale or leaving Bale with a shot against the keeper. If he stands up to Bale, then Bale either has to beat him in the dribble or pass to Defoe. While Defoe might have been wide open for a tap in, there is a better chance of a pass and shot going wrong than just the shot (and Defoe might have wandered offside).

Anyway Bale played it well and got a deserved goal while Defoe's movement was as good as an assist. It was well played by them and difficult for the defence in the moment. Two fast attackers v two slow defenders should always favour the attackers.

In that particular situation Evans had to take on Bale. In going after Defoe he is assuming Rio can catch Bale or leaving Bale with a shot against the keeper. If he stands up to Bale, then Bale either has to beat him in the dribble or pass to Defoe. While Defoe might have been wide open for a tap in, there is a better chance of a pass and shot going wrong than just the shot (and Defoe might have wandered offside).

Anyway Bale played it well and got a deserved goal while Defoe's movement was as good as an assist. It was well played by them and difficult for the defence in the moment. Two fast attackers v two slow defenders should always favour the attackers.

I disagree. If Evans went for Bale he would be assuming that he could catch Bale. No more or less likely than Rio stopping him in my opinion. Meanwhile switching players would open up more space for Defoe and thus giving Bale more options on the ball.

clever movement by Defoe and Bale, we really had them in a horrible situation and I don't think they had anyway out of it as they were the 2 slower players, however, Evans did break the golden rule of never crossing over

I disagree. If Evans went for Bale he would be assuming that he could catch Bale. No more or less likely than Rio stopping him in my opinion. Meanwhile switching players would open up more space for Defoe and thus giving Bale more options on the ball.

Its not a question of catchiing him. Evans was in a better position to challenge him ... I'd need to check again but wasn't he in front of him? ... and then moved away to track Defoe. Whereas Rio was already chasing.

The thing is, good, well-timed movement will always cause this sort of havoc, rule-breaking, etc...yes Evans and Ferdinand were at odds, but the timing of Defoe's run to Bale's was perfect. Let's face it, someone's had a word because he was not offside!!!!!! Actually, I'll correct this, because he's having a consistent run in the side I think he's able to see time his runs...

Jermain Defoe insists he is not worried about losing his starting spot at Tottenham despite the return of Emmanuel Adebayor.

Adebayor has recovered from a hamstring problem and is available for selection for Sunday's home game against Aston Villa.

But Defoe will have high hopes of retaining his position as the sole striker in Andre Villas-Boas' 4-2-3-1 formation after netting four times already this season.

"For me, him being back is not a problem," said Defoe.

"You get pressure your whole career. There has always been pressure - it is something you get used to."

Defoe played second fiddle to Adebayor for much of last season but is brimming with confidence after signing a new contract in August and has thanked his manager for his good run of form.

"My form this season has been the result of the manager playing me for 90 minutes," Defoe added.

"That has allowed me to relax, make sure my movement is good and make sure I don't panic that I am going to come off after an hour. When you play games, you get fitter and sharper.

"At times, you find yourself the only striker at the club who is fit, but I haven't been getting complacent. Every game I want to play, do well, score goals and win."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8142428/Tottenham-forward-Jermain-Defoe-relaxed-about-Emmanuel-Adebayor-return

If both players are in fine form and banging-in the goals, I see no reason why we can't play them both.

I think he needs a rest on Sunday and Ade desperately has to gain some minutes on the pitch - win / win

Back