• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

maybe he's stopped shagging all those munters...taking out his pent up frustration on the pitch. long may it continue.

Perhaps we shouldn't start sucking Defoe's ***k just yet; see this piece from Gab Marcotti on Soccernet: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/mondaymusings/id/49?cc=5739

Perhaps a counterbalance to the Guardian's zonal marking piece aboutb his movement, Gab bemoans his decision-making in the second half...Thoughts?

i mentioned this earlier but I think Defoe was absolutely knackered - just shattered and couldnt run anymore - you can tell. When youre playing up top on your own chasing shadows in the second half the chances are you will get tired.

i mentioned this earlier but I think Defoe was absolutely knackered - just shattered and couldnt run anymore - you can tell. When youre playing up top on your own chasing shadows in the second half the chances are you will get tired.

True but then surely that is what the best do in those tired times; don't look to make energy-busting runs to shoot on goal froma long way out; hold it up and run into corners, draw fouls etc.

I suspect things like this are what fustrate many. AVB has shown he can coach changes to his game, so perhaps things like this can be chanhed in his game too.

Either way, a big effort by Defoe no doubt.

Perhaps we shouldn't start sucking Defoe's ***k just yet; see this piece from Gab Marcotti on Soccernet: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/mondaymusings/id/49?cc=5739

Perhaps a counterbalance to the Guardian's zonal marking piece aboutb his movement, Gab bemoans his decision-making in the second half...Thoughts?

Sorry, he is an idiot.

The simple explanation for the last few minutes/Defoe is fatigue. As a knackered, lone striker, if he'd tried to hold the ball up and got it snaffled off him (as would've happened) it's a quicker series of chances for Utd. Ideally, Adebayor would come on and relieve himwith 10 mins to go in such situations.

If he was that clever, why didn't he mention what went on tactically in the second-half with regards to Rooney, Scholes, our trying to man-mark Scholes and nearly getting pegged back versus our brave decision to lock up the hole and give Scholes 200% possession 45-60 yards from our goal!!!!!!!

True but then surely that is what the best do in those tired times; don't look to make energy-busting runs to shoot on goal froma long way out; hold it up and run into corners, draw fouls etc.

I suspect things like this are what fustrate many. AVB has shown he can coach changes to his game, so perhaps things like this can be chanhed in his game too.

Either way, a big effort by Defoe no doubt.

His strength on the ball is already way better than you'd think for his size. A tired Defoe trying that lark out wide 60 yards up the pitch and losing possession would be poor.

For a player who was lip-serviced and shat upon for years to go away the close season before this and train with a French fitness expert during the times when most of the are off in Dubai or Aya Napa larging it up showed INCREDIBLE dedication. Defoe's work rate and dedication can never be questioned, which is why when he was getting called 'lazy' by some a year ago it beggared belief!!!!

Defoe's commitment to the game is second to none. When lots of footballers are on holiday the man is hiring personal trainers to get him in shape for the new season. Apparently he loves going to a nightclub or two, but he's teetotal and he stays out of trouble He is setting a good example to a lot of younger footballers about the sacrifices you need to make.

I'd be interested in seeing how many games Defoe and Berbatov played together and their stats from that period, from memory it doesn't seem like that many but I could be wrong.

I think that Defoe has been very unlucky in his second stint at the club, he was injured when he first came back and then he was played in a position behind Pav because he was the more adaptable of the two. The following season was pretty successful and him and Crouch formed an effective partnership. 2010-11 got injured in on England duty after a really strong start to the season and was effectively then replaced by VdV.

I can provide you with that from my new website, which is a database of all Spurs matches. I've checked with Scaramanga and he says its OK to promote the site in context of a discussion.

The site is Spurs since 1882. It has a complete record of matches with line-ups for most (I'm still adding them). You can search the record by season, competition, opposition, manager, player or any combination and then output the results as an interactive list of matches (with links to details such as line-ups) or appearance records.

The feature that is useful here is that you can search for matches involving two players, namely Berbatov and Defoe. The link for the list of matches involving Defoe and Berbatov is: http://www.spurs1882.org/index.php?...ue&searchtype=default&restrictParameters=true

Click on the match box or the blue box on the left for further details on each match. You can also further refine the search with the form at the bottom of the page, selecting only games they both started, only league games, etc.

--------------------------------------------
P.S. The match record can also be output as a summary of results. Unfortunately I just noticed that this doesn't work for the multi-player searches. Its does for all the other searches (season, dates, competition, opposition, manager, single player), but the two player search is done in a different way and I hadn't tried this before. I'll try and fix this and add the link.

Try this one: http://www.spurs1882.org/index.php?...ue&searchtype=summary&restrictParameters=true

This search works very slowly for some reason I've yet to fathom and might time out. Here is the result:

DefoeBerbatov_all.JPG

Last edited:

no point going on about the goodness of defoe in absolute terms.
so if we are going with 1 striker, its ade for me. what about you?

Sorry, he is an idiot.

The simple explanation for the last few minutes/Defoe is fatigue. As a knackered, lone striker, if he'd tried to hold the ball up and got it snaffled off him (as would've happened) it's a quicker series of chances for Utd. Ideally, Adebayor would come on and relieve himwith 10 mins to go in such situations.

If he was that clever, why didn't he mention what went on tactically in the second-half with regards to Rooney, Scholes, our trying to man-mark Scholes and nearly getting pegged back versus our brave decision to lock up the hole and give Scholes 200% possession 45-60 yards from our goal!!!!!!!

credit to AVB =D>, it worked, even if i spent the whole second half shouting at the TV for someone to close down Scholes:)

credit to AVB =D>, it worked, even if i spent the whole second half shouting at the TV for someone to close down Scholes:)

You lot are barking. This is no different to what Jol used to do with a lead against top 4, and we lost all of those games. If people think that we can do this on a regular basis and not lose 90% of the time, then you are competely barking.

You lot are barking. This is no different to what Jol used to do with a lead against top 4, and we lost all of those games. If people think that we can do this on a regular basis and not lose 90% of the time, then you are competely barking.

Boo - hoo :)

Boo - hoo :)

Indeed, we just beat ManU! But next time we play like that for 45 minutes we'll lose the game, I guarentee it. Don't forget, it is exactly that sort of defending that fudged up the first few games of the season by conceding late when sitting back.

Indeed, we just beat ManU! But next time we play like that for 45 minutes we'll lose the game, I guarentee it. Don't forget, it is exactly that sort of defending that fudged up the first few games of the season by conceding late when sitting back.

like i said, i was completely against it whilst the game was going on and couldnt work out why AVB didnt send the message to the players to stamp all over Scholes.

However, looking back, and having watched the game again, I see now that in this case, against Utd and all their power and attcaking armoury they had in the second half, allowing Scholes to dictate the game so far from goal whilst we were defensively very well organised actually worked. Apart from the crazy spell of 3 goals in 3 minutes, Utd only got in behind us once when RVP had a clear run on goal on the left side and fired wide. Utd didnt create any real clear cut chances like they can. Rooney hit the post from a free kick, Scholes had a shot from 20 yards that Brad diverted away, but considering this is Utd at OT i think we managed to hold them at bay very well.

It wasnt ideal, of course id want us to be more confident in ourselves and take the game to them even if we were under the cosh, but Utd are absolute experts at building up steam and breaking down teams once given extra room in which to manoeuvre. If the game was more open in the second half I think they would have taken us to the cleaners. We havent reached the stage were we are able to go toe to toe with Utd like a Chelsea or a Emirates Marketing Project can.

Sorry, he is an idiot.

As I mentioned in another post, giving Scholes possession 45 - 60 yards from goal was not that crazy. We defended well on the edge of the box. Utd mostly attacked by sending high crosses into the box, which our defenders easily cut out.

As I mentioned in another post, giving Scholes possession 45 - 60 yards from goal was not that crazy. We defended well on the edge of the box. Utd mostly attacked by sending high crosses into the box, which our defenders easily cut out.

This, if we had tried to close Scholes down he would have played around us and exploited the space in behind. I was at the game and the truth is for all the possession he got he did not really hurt us.

This, if we had tried to close Scholes down he would have played around us and exploited the space in behind. I was at the game and the truth is for all the possession he got he did not really hurt us.

i tried making this point as we were watching on Saturday...nearly got my chalkboard out! I was actually amazed no-one picked up on it as it was obvious that the only time we did try, we got caught in a crossfire of goals! We locked down pretty fast after that.

I didn't see the other post mate. What I will say is, you were not alone in seeing what we were doing. Now, off to the Scholes thread to see of you answered my repeat question. In reference to it, we denied him a decent return pass of he did look to run into the hole. It was occupied!

I dont think our tactic was to shut up shop. I think the goal so early in the second half and their second straight after our third made half our players nervy and natural to sit back defend your goal.

Youre correct though - we couldnt do it again and again we would get hammered

Back