• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

No - its defending.

He didnt obstruct Bale, didnt foul him, didnt hit/push/barge or kick him - he was shoulder to shoulder and extended a leg to block a cross.

Bales left foot nudges the ball out of the way and his crossing right foot misses the ball entirely and kicks into the defenders attempted tackle.

It was nothing, IMHO, not a foul - not anything.

But, given that they were at full speed, that Bale was turning to kick and the defender turning to tackle and that there was contact I think its entirely justified that they both went to ground - just that it wasnt a foul either.

Painful way to defend that's for sure :)

I see that as a foul, unless you actually get enough of your body in front of the player as well to shield the ball.

No - its defending.

He didnt obstruct Bale, didnt foul him, didnt hit/push/barge or kick him - he was shoulder to shoulder and extended a leg to block a cross.

Bales left foot nudges the ball out of the way and his crossing right foot misses the ball entirely and kicks into the defenders attempted tackle.

It was nothing, IMHO, not a foul - not anything.

But, given that they were at full speed, that Bale was turning to kick and the defender turning to tackle and that there was contact I think its entirely justified that they both went to ground - just that it wasnt a foul either.

This. It's how Bale nudged the ball out of play that makes them them collide like they do - otherwise the defender would've blocked Bale's cross, probably for a corner kick. The defender didn't kick Bale, it was the other way around. No penalty.

As I saw it the defender was to Bales side trying to block, not getting in front of him. Bale (air) crossed the ball in order to make contact, meaning he twisted his body and is foot followed through across toward the defender.

If Bale kicks the ball the defender (most likely) blocks it and is rightly applauded for some good work.

Bale ****s it up and kicks the defender instead and its a foul? Not for me.

It wasnt a pen, but we see pens given all the time for nothing. We got lucky this time, other times we wont.

but back on topic :)

I want Defoe to start against Everton. They are a strong physical side and i think he does well against those kind of teams. Him and Bad Ade always seem to link up well as well. VDV has look slow and unfit his last few games and we cant carry anyone against everton. So Defoe up front for me in a 4-4-2 with Ade dropping off a bit.

It's an improvement on 'wasn't a pen and he did dive'

Soon it would a solid pen, no dive and a 3 week lay off for a broken little toe

He is a bit of a Wuss though isnt he, looks like he has been shot every time he gets a little tap. I dont think he is play acting, just that he is a bit of a lightweight. he has started to Dive, but I can understand why. most teams have started kicking him all over the park. Forwards diving is their weapon against Defenders pushing, pulling and hacking in.

but back on topic :)

I want Defoe to start against Everton. They are a strong physical side and i think he does well against those kind of teams. Him and Bad Ade always seem to link up well as well. VDV has look slow and unfit his last few games and we cant carry anyone against everton. So Defoe up front for me in a 4-4-2 with Ade dropping off a bit.

I imagine it will be Defoe and Ade up front with VDV on the right...

When everyone is fit and on form, our best midfield/attack combination consists of: Parker, Modric, Bale, Lennon, VDV, Adebayor. It's when we play this front six that we're truly devastating and when we're at our brilliant best.

I'm pleased that Defoe is scoring goals and looking sharp, and I fully support giving him chances and starting him when others are unfit or off form, but putting him in the starting XI means that our team is weaker than when we play the aforementioned front six.

When everyone is fit and on form, our best midfield/attack combination consists of: Parker, Modric, Bale, Lennon, VDV, Adebayor. It's when we play this front six that we're truly devastating and when we're at our brilliant best.

I'm pleased that Defoe is scoring goals and looking sharp, and I fully support giving him chances and starting him when others are unfit or off form, but putting him in the starting XI means that our team is weaker than when we play the aforementioned front six.

Absolutely this x 100

Although Lennon's injury presents him with a much deserved opportunity to make an impact from a starting position especially considering Arry has opted for the weaker option Saha in the last 2 games (Utd especially) - quite possibly his most bizzare tactical decision so far this season.

So based on merit, form and circumstances, I'd find it extremely disappointing if he's on the bench on Saturday

Absolutely this x 100

Although Lennon's injury presents him with a much deserved opportunity to make an impact from a starting position especially considering Arry has opted for the weaker option Saha in the last 2 games (Utd especially) - quite possibly his most bizzare tactical decision so far this season.

So based on merit, form and circumstances, I'd find it extremely disappointing if he's on the bench on Saturday

I think the main reason Harry started with Saha against United was that the last home match Ade & Saha had torn Saudi Sportswashing Machine apart which I think is a good enough reason to give it another go, he should have brought Defoe on earlier though. Defoe should definitely start on Saturday.

I think the main reason Harry started with Saha against United was that the last home match Ade & Saha had torn Saudi Sportswashing Machine apart which I think is a good enough reason to give it another go, he should have brought Defoe on earlier though. Defoe should definitely start on Saturday.

But we played Arsenal in between that and he was poor?

As was the entire team, he wasnt poor in isolation was he?

Irrespective - he was poor.

If Arry was dead set on 4-4-2 vs Utd then Defoe deserved to start ahead of him. And even if he thought Saha could spark up - Defoe should have come on the moment Young scored the second.

Last edited:
The offside one is the result of another problem, his off the ball movement isn't good enough. It's unfortunate, cause it's holding him back and I struggle to understand why we haven't been able to teach him how to get better at it after all this time.

Nice posts Rorshach / braineclipse. At times I do wonder what coaches do with players on the training pitch. The frustrating thing with Defoe is his seeming complete lack of awareness when it comes to his position on the pitch (e.g. as for the two offside chances last night). Defoe is physically and technically superior to Robbie Keane IMO, but the advantage that Robbie always had is that he always seemed to be thinking about his movement. His head was always on a swivel, and he was constantly looking for little pockets of space, or the right time to make a run behind the defence.

Both of Jermain's goals last night were world class, but he will always be let down (IMO) by his relatively poor movement. And unfortunately, for me, the net effect of his mixture of moments of brilliance and moments of frustration is worse than other players who are less brilliant and less frustrating. Maybe it's because it's frustrating always thinking how good he has the potential to be...

Back