• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

In the last 2 years Defoe has scored against United, City, Liverpool, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Chelsea.

Doesnt count, because against Utd and City, he capitalised on defensive errors, which is a sign of a poor striker. As we all know now, we are better than Chelsea, Pool and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, so really, he only scores against small clubs.

What's annoying Mick is that he doesn't score as much against the top teams as he should, he is a bit of a flat track bully. To his credit, he's scored against United and City this season. But if you compare his record against the likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc to someone like Darren Bent who scores against everybody, it's frustrating. It's not like Bent is much better than Defoe either.

What people have to start to recognise is that aginst better sides he plays better defenders and they are harder to outpace/outfox and at the same time he is getting less feeds, less space and has to fight for scraps.

Statistically and logically all strikers will score less against the top sides - the reason why they are top is because they have better keepers and defenders and harder midfields to get past - the expression flat track bully is meaningless in football, because it will be ever thus.

Movement off the ball is showing for the ball carrier, running channels that the ball can be played to or down, making a pass if it can be worked through by the skill of the passer, or getting into space that can be fed.
Defoe is a gambler, because if he knows if he gets it right he gets a yard on his man, and a better shot at goal.

I don't disagree that he gambles too often and gets it wrong some times, but I disagree that he doesn't move or show for the midfielders or strike partners to play on to him. Some times he dummies defenders and makes them open channels, which I like to see him do, and he is always begging for the ball. When pickings are slim he will look for it.

What people have to start to recognise is that aginst better sides he plays better defenders and they are harder to outpace/outfox and at the same time he is getting less feeds, less space and has to fight for scraps. People spend too much time blaming the sniper and forgetting that he cant hit the mark if no-one feeds him the bullets

yes he does run off without them too much. If you never gamble, you never win the prize

It's not that I think that he doesn't move or show for the ball, it's just that I don't think he does it very well. And I don't think he's offside because he gambles, but rather because he lacks awareness. I know you didn't get to see the game last night, but the two chances I referred to didn't show him making a run a little bit too early or hovering inches offside, it showed him (if memory serves me correctly) running a yard in front of the last defender a long time before the ball was passed to him, seemingly without any awareness that he was offside. And I feel like I see him doing that all the time.

To approach this from another angle: if you don't think his movement is poor, why do you think he has never really reached a higher level at club or international-level? He's only really had one season with a great goal tally. (In my view his shooting and (maybe) ability to make space for a shot are both world-class.)

Anyway we're certainly not going to suddenly change our respective opinions on this, but it would be interesting to focus on his movement next time he plays and then continue the discussion afterwards.

It's not that I think that he doesn't move or show for the ball, it's just that I don't think he does it very well. And I don't think he's offside because he gambles, but rather because he lacks awareness. I know you didn't get to see the game last night, but the two chances I referred to didn't show him making a run a little bit too early or hovering inches offside, it showed him (if memory serves me correctly) running a yard in front of the last defender a long time before the ball was passed to him, seemingly without any awareness that he was offside. And I feel like I see him doing that all the time.

To approach this from another angle: if you don't think his movement is poor, why do you think he has never really reached a higher level at club or international-level? He's only really had one season with a great goal tally. (In my view his shooting and (maybe) ability to make space for a shot are both world-class.)

Anyway we're certainly not going to suddenly change our respective opinions on this, but it would be interesting to focus on his movement next time he plays and then continue the discussion afterwards.

He's worth what he is, because he is only as good as he is.
I'm not trying to pass him off as a world class striker

what I'm trying to do is not to have him condemned as a sunday league pub player who got lucky.

He's not eto'o, and I never said he was

I simply want people to stop flogging the same tired argument, a lot of posters do it, because they simply don't know how else to express the fact that they are angry with him because he didn't score a hat trick for them so their team wouldn't draw/lose, so they trot out all the same arguments that they have read before.

all I'm saying is that Defoe isn't as bad as he is made out to be and that his movement isn't as chronic as people make him out to be.

There are a lot of people who post on here, that genuinely don't have a feckin clue what they are talking about, and all they do is bitch and whine and find spacegoats, when results don't go our way.

Mick, agree with you, Defoe has improved, think this season is a testament to his character after his poor return last.

For me, lots of similarities to Lennon, perhaps will never live up to the potential that obviously is there, but also suffers comments that no longer apply (see the people who still harp on Lenon's end product).

NewPicture1-3.jpg

Ok so we know the deal with Jermain. When he plays, he is often on the periphery of the game but always likely to pop up with a goal, particularly when on a streaky run like he currently seems to be.

We lose a player who is comfortable to drop deep, get involved in the play, but instead gain a player who looks to play off the shoulder of the last defender, and has a vicious shot from distance. So we have a trade off.

What we know is that JD has shown in the past a willingness to work very hard up top, closing down everything. I think he's shown he deserves a shot in the last few games and his goalscoring return in general this year. Having him in the side will be to the detriment of the overall possession play, but certainly gives us a player who can be very dangerous on his day. To be honest he's buzzing right now. I say chuck him in. Get Ade to work off him and get involved in the link up play.

I've seen Ade getting bullied off the ball all too easily recently as the last man. I like him coming deep and striding forward. Very difficult to contain when like that.

If you disagree, what do you think about the two offside chances last night? Do you think he was unlucky to be offside? To me it was typical Defoe - he seemed to be giving absolutely no thought to his position, or the timing of his runs.

A player who plays off the shoulder will generally be offside on more occasions than someone like VDV who drops deep so deep he may as well be a sweeper.

Players like Defoe and Bent play the percentages game. They make 15 runs a game knowing that they may be offside on 10 of them but in those five they will spring the offside trap and they have the pace to get away. Its simple.

Back