• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Ok - it might work with 2 forwards who alternate in dropping deep, like Berbatov and Keane used to. It doesn't work with old school goal hangers like Defoe and Saha though because you're just going to get steamrollered in midfield every time.

Ade and Defoe work just fine together

By the way remind me, what the fuk did VDV do today?

Must have missed that. Defoe's not formed a decent partnership in his whole career. A few cameo goals can't re-write history.

Just as you miss anything Defoe does well.

Your views on Defoe are really tedious especially as you luck the balls to admit when you are wrong

you see Gutterboy

it ain't just me

lots of people share the same opinion of your theories, grasp of the game, player analysis, tactical acumen and ability to recognise a decent manager.

I just wonder how many people telling you this it will take, before it dawns on you.

Try listening, and understanding, instead of sticking to your erroneous opinions and prejudiced views.

The classic goalscorer is being phased out, games are just simply too important now for a team to be carrying any passengers. Unless you're absolutely deadly infront of goal like a Van Persie then you can't get away with it, even then RVP offers more than Defoe in general play and Arsenal use him as a lone striker. This is why VDV and Ade will always be first choice, because even when they're not scoring they're still heavily involved in our play, not standing alone upfront waiting for something to happen. I like Defoe, he's refound his goalscoring touch but I'm only comfortable seeing him start at home to teams outside the top 6 or so, a couple of goals doesn't erase what must be over a hundred anonymous outings from him, that's the reason we sold him in the first place. I'm happy for him to stay, he should be ahead of Saha atleast.

For me, Jermaine's performance tonight sums his up - a) two fantastically taken goals, which highlighted his amazing ability to strike the ball well as well as his good first touch and ability to make a yard of space for himself; and b) his little backhell-goal-that-wasn't and close-range header at the goalkeeper, both of which showed his infuriating lack of awareness when it comes to staying onside!

I think he could be world-class if he was more intelligent and aware and purposeful with his movement, but his lack of that will always hold him back IMO. I know that some people get annoyed when others suggest Defoe's movement is poor, but I really believe it is, and the two aforementioned incidents were perfect representations of that for me.

Still, he DEFINITELY deserves to start against Everton.

a few cameo goals ?

can't pretend i'm his greatest fan but he's only a handful of goals off being the leading scorer for spurs in modern times certainly since the likes chivers and gilzean and that's spending a huge amount of his career here coming off the bench.

It's funny how this thread erupted once the match was over....defoe homeys just stormed here to say "Still think he is sh!t?"...."Harry should start him"...."If Harry doesn't start him...." blah blah blah....Like lil kids waiting for anything from him to try make an argument....
The funny thing is he disappoints you all far more than proves your delusions...

LOL...A couple of goals against FIRST DIVISION team and he is Pele all of a sudden

Let me tell you something...Had Ade started the match he would have scored 4....the fact that he only lucked 2 goals is a point against him not for him...That was stevenage....not AC Milan...

And how ironic that a one match performance you like from your beloved player and you hail him as world class and one relaxed quiet performance from VdV (who by the way coming off an injury) and you go "What did VdV do today?"...

Am not a huge fan of VdV but in 1.5 year he's done to us more than defoe did all his time here...

:rolleyes:

much better player than saha, should start with ade, as they looked to be forming a good partnership early in the season..

It's funny how this thread erupted once the match was over....defoe homeys just stormed here to say "Still think he is sh!t?"...."Harry should start him"...."If Harry doesn't start him...." blah blah blah....Like lil kids waiting for anything from him to try make an argument....
The funny thing is he disappoints you all far more than proves your delusions...

LOL...A couple of goals against FIRST DIVISION team and he is Pele all of a sudden

Let me tell you something...Had Ade started the match he would have scored 4....the fact that he only lucked 2 goals is a point against him not for him...That was stevenage....not AC Milan...

And how ironic that a one match performance you like from your beloved player and you hail him as world class and one relaxed quiet performance from VdV (who by the way coming off an injury) and you go "What did VdV do today?"...

Am not a huge fan of VdV but in 1.5 year he's done to us more than defoe did all his time here...

Good grief you spout some absolute brick.

Having been at the match last night I didn't think Defoe had a great game, but that post really shows that you don't have a clue.
Ade never looked like scoring 4, the type of goals Defoe scored were in no way lucky, and the comments on VDV? Bizarre.

Doesn't really sound like you're a fan of anyone, but hey, you have your cool 'rolling eyes'-smiley that works like a charm every time.

I said at the start of the season on the board that crashed that if he had regular games, he would be at least a 15 goal striker this season. He has NOT had regular starts, yet he has already hit the 15 goal mark

Well done Jermain.

I said at the start of the season on the board that crashed that if he had regular games, he would be at least a 15 goal striker this season. He has NOT had regular starts, yet he has already hit the 15 goal mark

Well done Jermain.

Maybe that's the thing though - maybe like a David Fairclough or a Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or that Turkish guy who scored for fun a few years ago (Senturk?), he is more productive coming off the bench! Is he an "impact player" in that sense?

EDIT: what this really calls for is a goals-per-minute ratio statistic for games he starts, and a goals-per-minute ratio for minutes played as a substitute. But I suspect even Statto cannot be arsed to come up with some an obscure stat!

Last edited:
Must have missed that. Defoe's not formed a decent partnership in his whole career. A few cameo goals can't re-write history.

You havent missed anything. Like every single good thing Defoe does, you dismiss it.

He has formed a better partnership with Ade than VDV has. So yet again, another one of your claims fails massively.

That's not true, Defoe formed an excellent partnership with Berbatov when Keane was injured (it was early 2007 if I recall correctly, I have no idea how to filter the new club website to pull up reports for that period) only for Defoe to get injured just as Keane returned to fitness, that put paid to that burgeoning partnership sadly.

You havent missed anything. Like every single good thing Defoe does, you dismiss it.

He has formed a better partnership with Ade than VDV has. So yet again, another one of your claims fails massively.

This ^. He also formed a decent partnership with Peter Crouch for a while at Portsmouth. He's a decent player, no world beater but he'll certainly get you goals. I was under the impression thats what strikers are there for.

much better player than saha, should start with ade, as they looked to be forming a good partnership early in the season..

Ade and Defoe played great together against Wolves and Liverpool, unfortunately for JD he then picked up an injury and VdV came in and scored 6 goals in his next 5 matches and has been undroppable since.

The main problem with Defoe is that he is an old fashioned head-down type of Striker which doesn't really fit in with our possession based game but he has shown better ball retention skills during his fleeting appearances this season and perhaps with a run of games alongside Adebayor he would learn to improve his link-up play.

Back