• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

That is speculation.

It could also be that people just look at his footballing abilities and rate him differently than you do. It could be that you are right. It could be that you are wrong. It could be that other people rate left backs differently, with more focus on attacking abilities than you have. It could be... It could be... It could be...

Again, the first question I asked: Why do you have to assume that those that disagree with you automatically have some illogical bias causing their opinion?

It is not speculation hust because you disagree with it. Those posts are facts - they have been and are being made. And none of those are related to his footballing abilites

The general content of posts in BAE related threads mostly focus around either on (or all) of the following

- his hairstyle
- his trainers
- his oyster card
- his Smart Car/A1
- his latest non-chalant interview
- his French accent
- his 'swagger'
- his music choice
- etc.

Bias is derrived from a general infatuation with his character - that is all

Biased isn't worthless, more so - subjective. So the next step for me was to figure out the root of this mega-hype. Which I then presented in this thread and was jumped upon.

And subjective is the opposite of objective. And I was talking about having "a rational, objective argument". In such an argument subjective opinions are pretty much worthless. Do you disagree with this?

And subjective is the opposite of objective. And I was talking about having "a rational, objective argument". In such an argument subjective opinions are pretty much worthless. Do you disagree with this?

Subjective opinions are not worthless in this context - why do you insist on that? This isn't scientific analysis - but a mere football forum.

Subjective opinions are not worthless in this context - why do you insist on that? This isn't scientific analysis - but a mere football forum.

You said that he is overrated.

What way can we possibly discuss if this is true or not without looking at it objectively?

Of course subjective opinions are not worthless on a football forum. But in a discussion about the actual ability of a footballer. Trying to analyze. Trying to see how good he actually is. What other way than objectively looking at his abilities would you suggest?

It is not speculation hust because you disagree with it. Those posts are facts - they have been and are being made. And none of those are related to his footballing abilites
It may be a fact that those posts have been made, but it is still speculation on your part that those making those posts will overlook flaws in his footballing abilities and show bias in that area just because they really like his personality.

I think people are more than capable of enjoying Benny "the personality" while still being objective about his football skills.

You said that he is overrated.

What way can we possibly discuss if this is true or not without looking at it objectively?

Of course subjective opinions are not worthless on a football forum. But in a discussion about the actual ability of a footballer. Trying to analyze. Trying to see how good he actually is. What other way than objectively looking at his abilities would you suggest?

I presented my view as to why I think he's overrated. You took personal offence against that as assumed it was belittleing = wrong. Those posters' views are not worthless - they simply appear to rate BAE from a different set of criteria and one which is appears to have little to do with his footballing abilities.

What discussion exactly are you seeking to gain from this?

Last edited:
It may be a fact that those posts have been made, but it is still speculation on your part that those making those posts will overlook flaws in his footballing abilities and show bias in that area just because they really like his personality.

I think people are more than capable of enjoying Benny "the personality" while still being objective about his football skills.

Of course. But the majority of those posts are often followed up with the tune of defending him as some kind of world-class unappreciated LB who's only second to Cole and only in certain games. And whenever someone expresses concern for his judgmental/defensive errors (for example) those are often shot down as heretics and unappreciative of Benny's 'coolness' and true Spurs heart.

Well sorry, mate but that is rubbish and every player out there should be accountable for his actions on the field and judged equally for his good and bad deeds. I don't give a toss what he does in his free time or what car he drives as long as he pulls a shift every week.

I presented my view as to why I think he's overrated. You took personal offence against that as assumed it was belittleing - wrong. Those posters' views are not worthless - they simply appear to rate BAE from a onedifferent set of criteria and which is appears to have little to do with his footballing abilities.

What discussion exactly are you seeking to gain from this?

I'm trying to get you to understand why I and another poster found your comment belittling. Maybe then you wouldn't make that kind of comment in the future.

Sometimes I use rhetorical questions in my posts. But most of the time when I use question marks it's because I ask a question.

I'm trying to get you to understand why I and another poster found your comment belittling. Maybe then you wouldn't make that kind of comment in the future.

The comment was my findings/reason as to why he's largerly over-rated. Nothing to do with belittleting anyone's opinions and posts. You assumed/fabricated that in order to justify your agument and have something to disagree with me about while in the process completly spinning the argument away from its true topic - Assou Ekotto's recent performances as our left back.

So unless you have something to add to actual topic of discussion as opposed to continuously truing to accuse me of something I didn't do or say - do not engage me on this any further

Can't believe the drivel I'm reading. Ekotto is not faultless, he is not the best left back in the world. But he is a very good one. To be told continuously that Baines is an upgrade is strange to say the least in my view.

But that aside, I'm proud to have a player like Benny represent my club. At least he stands for something, and he shows his more humane side. I have a lot of time for his views. For me that forgives some of his shortcomings because I actually enjoy cheering for guys I am proud to have wearing the lillywhite shirt that means something to me.

Arc, whatever you say (and I'm sure you will spin this back on it's head) but you spouting your anti-ekotto rhetoric comes across as a little hate-filled and bitter for some reason.

BENOIT = LEGEND.

The comment was my findings/reason as to why he's largerly over-rated. Nothing to do with belittleting anyone's opinions and posts. You assumed/fabricated that in order to justify your agument and have something to disagree with me about while in the process completly spinning the argument away from its true topic - Assou Ekotto's recent performances as our left back.

So unless you have something to add to actual topic of discussion as opposed to continuously truing to accuse me of something I didn't do or say - do not engage me on this any further

If someone accused a post or opinion I made of being belittling I would try to understand why they thought it was so.

No problems with you personally, definitely not looking around for your posts to have arguments.

im a fan of BAE because hes improved so much. it wasnt a million years ago he was derided every match by everyone, not just here - and yet his game now is widely recognised as being that befitting a good left back.

What I think is impressive is hes managed to fill the hole Bale left when he shifted forward, and in many ways improved our defensive unit. What player in the world could replace Bale at left back? He was always more attack minded and restrained at LB, but he was very good all the same and yet here we are with two very good left sided players. This is rare enough in itself! To have them both is luxury after the horrors weve seen over the years.

Arc, whatever you say (and I'm sure you will spin this back on it's head) but you spouting your anti-ekotto rhetoric comes across as a little hate-filled and bitter for some reason.

BENOIT = LEGEND.

For the 26th time - I do not have a problem with people loving his personality and enjoying the pleasure of taking that at face value. I simply attributed his general over-rating on here to that very fact.

I'm not anti-Ekotto - simply made an observation that his lapses in concentration have been worringly on the increase since the Chelsea home game. I see him as the weakest of the back 4 atm defensively and he needs to pull his socks up asap since Rose is hardly the messiah. I also complimented his other skills which have improved massively over the last season.

Isn't that what this thread is (hopefully) about - a platform for some kind of semi-intelligent football related discussion. I presented my point and ever since have been on the receiving end of semi-aggressive posts to the point of being degraded to 'drivel' and yet no one wants to talk about the actual games and performances of a man who is regarded amongst fans as a social cult figure. That is all pretty and well but he also needs to be a left back for us at least once a week during season.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Arc, though. I don't think he's been as solid this season as he was in 10/11, for example. And throughout his career at Spurs, I can't think how many times he's let the right winger meet a cross at the far post and let him get goalside.

He's a very good left-back. But will he ever become one who is defensively solid? I think it's a little too late. But you could say that he makes up for it in other areas. Anyway, I'm happy to have him at Spurs...

Ekotto is one of the top 5 left backs in the league, Evra, Cole, Baines, Ekotto, Enrique. Good enough for me

Ignroing the fact you're his no.1 fan on this board - I rather see discussions about his performance on the field and ways in which he can improve instead of mindless babble about the latest trainers he bought or iPod playlist contents. Which in turn are later transformed into comments such as 'legend' and a false perception of a great player is created. Is that what supporters do? Do you understand what over-rated means?

Probably best not to read let alone post in the 'official benoit thread', einstein. Really is a waste of your time.

Don't think he's any better than Gibbs or Clichy either. Don't think he's any worse though.

oh he is better. Gibbs hasnt proved anything yet of what people expected, and Clichy has regressed since his best days at Arse

Don't think he's any better than Gibbs or Clichy either. Don't think he's any worse though.

Jesus Christ?!

Gibbs? No comment.

Clichy was excellent for a couple years after Cole left...but better than BAE now, I dont think so.

Back