• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Didn't he say in an interview a year or so ago that he'd been with the same girlfriend from his hometown for quite a few years? And that he had no interest in sleeping around with all the football groupies that a lot of players do because you'd never know what you might catch? :ross: It was something along those lines, although he obviously said it in a much funnier and cooler way than I could.

Found it:

"But Assou-Ekotto has no interest in being a man-about-town, chasing the girls who hope to be pursued by our super-rich sports stars. Recently he said he prefers to stay with his girlfriend of eight or nine years because 'it would not be good to change at 26'.

When reminded of this, he starts to laugh. 'I could be single again if I want to finish my life alone,' he says. 'Maybe it would be interesting, yeah. But I don't want to meet a girl who has been touched by a player from Fulham or Chelsea. You understand? Fantastic. If I meet a model and she has known 255 men before me, I'm really not interested. I prefer to keep my one; someone I have known for a long time. I wouldn't say I'm religious. I stay in bed on a Sunday morning. But I had a Christian upbringing and I believe in GHod. I don't play with my girlfriend."

Last edited:
The last 10 odd posts simply confirm the underlying notion of BAE is the single most fan-overrated player in THFC (overrated does not mean brick by the way) - overall perception appears to be one which often has fudge all to do with his ability on the field instead focusing on aspects such as his hair, choice of transport, French accent, music choice, trainers colour, etc.

Against Chelsea head had a few lapses in concentration - which could have cost us stupid goals - much like he's done on numerous occasions this season. Much like he did against them back in December.

If he can erradicate this inconsistent aspects from his game - he'd be a very solid LB but currently he is the weakest link in the back defensively and needs to focus more and do so for 90 mins.

Having said that - he's far more composed on the ball this season and his passing range has improved substantially. I'd give him a 6.5/10 season overall so far

The last 10 odd posts simply confirm the underlying notion of BAE is the single most fan-overrated player in THFC (overrated does not mean brick by the way) - overall perception appears to be one which often has fudge all to do with his ability on the field instead focusing on aspects such as his hair, choice of transport, French accent, music choice, trainers colour, etc.
The past load of posts are just football fans, jovially supporting one of their own. That is behaviour you do not appear to rationalise.

There is nothing wrong with supporting one of our own - just the same way there shouldn't be anything wrong with recognising his shortcomings and offering some constructive criticism

There is nothing wrong with supporting one of our own - just the same way there shouldn't be anything wrong with recognising his shortcomings and offering some constructive criticism
And there is obviously nothing wrong with constructive criticism but your obsession with pigeonholing Spurs fans lends nothing to analysing Benny's game.

The point is - most people are infatuated with his life-style choices rather than Spurs performances which clearly leads to their altered judgement

The point is - most people are infatuated with his life-style choices rather than Spurs performances which clearly leads to their altered judgement
Clearly? No - this is your interpretation and one which may be altering your judgment. You only need look back on the posts you referred to, to see that these are people being supporters - not armchair pundits.

What you see as overrated, the rest can take in our stride as fans irrationally adoring one of their own. For some, there comes a time when accepting the player for who they are is more rewarding than dissecting their every moment.

What you see as overrated, the rest can take in our stride as fans irrationally adoring one of their own. For some, there comes a time when accepting the player for who they are is more rewarding than dissecting their every moment.

Ignroing the fact you're his no.1 fan on this board - I rather see discussions about his performance on the field and ways in which he can improve instead of mindless babble about the latest trainers he bought or iPod playlist contents. Which in turn are later transformed into comments such as 'legend' and a false perception of a great player is created. Is that what supporters do? Do you understand what over-rated means?

Ignroing the fact you're his no.1 fan on this board - I rather see discussions about his performance on the field and ways in which he can improve instead of mindless babble about the latest trainers he bought or iPod playlist contents. Which in turn are later transformed into comments such as 'legend' and a false perception of a great player is created. Is that what supporters do? Do you understand what over-rated means?
Do you?! The only false perception here is your belittling of others.

The use of 'legend' is just another example, that comments on his extraneous activities are viewed in jest. If that means, that fans choose to beat the irrational supporter drum then I can't see why you can't ignore them instead of using those comments to validate your own ego.

Do you?! The only false perception here is your belittling of others.

The use of 'legend' is just another example, that comments on his extraneous activities are viewed in jest. If that means, that fans choose to beat the irrational supporter drum then I can't see why you can't ignore them instead of using those comments to validate your own ego.

Validating my own ego?

Are you purposefully ignoring the point here? He's vastly overrated by fans due to the exact same irrational drum that is beaten on here week after week following another 'cool' interview given outside Canary Wharf. While the criminal lack of defensive awarness in his last game is swept under the carpet becaue his hair looked great

It is fans such as yourself who take personal offense when their idols are called upon and constructive criticism is laid against their performances instead turning this to a personal jib. Touch a nerve?

Dismissing other's comments as 'mindless babble' might make you feel good but it adds nothing to any discussion you apparently crave.

You think the fan's view of him is askew just as I think your is, of theirs.

I laid out in my very first post my concerns and observations about him as a player

You have subsequntly offered nothing to this discussion on a football level other than having a go at poster(s) who expressed 'concern' about his abilities as a defender (which is exactly what he's paid to be at THFC). Much like you've done countless times on here before whenever someone's dared to question Benny.

Until you wish to engage in a football-related discussion about your favourite player as opposed to mounting the high one and dishing out false allegations - this can go no further.

Last edited:
I'm not attacking you or making any false allegations. I am defending the numerous views of fans you have wrongly belittled which started with the first sentence you posted in here today.

But it is those comments which lead to him being largerly over-rated on this board - that is the crux of the matter. That is not belittleling - simply an observation

Baines is a very good left-back but BAE is so 'Spurs' its ridiculous. He's such swagger, have to love it. Has he got a bird? If not, bet he gets his fair amount of ladies

i feel baines is one of the most overrated left backs on earth tbh. The man rarely ever handles wingers on his own and when he does he almost always gives them space to make a decision or he gets skinned. one thing he does do well is get in front of the trajectory of a cross so as to block, at least thats something that i have seen him do time and time again

But it is those comments which lead to him being largerly over-rated on this board - that is the crux of the matter. That is not belittleling - simply an observation
But this is very much in your view and to pass such judgment over a vast amount of people is arrogant, if not belittling.

You interpret it as 'over-rating' but the 10-odd comments referred to gave zero credence to that perception. I think you have failed to recognise the difference between fans being fans and those genuinely failing at analysing his game/recognising any shortcomings.

Why do you have to assume that those that disagree with you automatically have some illogical bias causing their opinion? I agree with polski, this kind of comment is belittling. It is also just speculation, yet you use the word 'clearly' in there as if it should be just accepted as fact.

I could say for example: Most people that don't rate Ekotto are just still insulted because of his previous comments about not liking football, that clearly leads to their altered judgement. Would be just as speculative and just as irrelevant to the discussion.

Back